At Large Talk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, almaman said:

Any Valley fans should be plenty of weekend tickets available.

for real. Illinois state(maybe the best traveling) and Northern Iowa the favorites already out before the weekend gets started 

depends how far their NET drops imo.  if they are still top 40 i say they get bid and one of those at large bids just went away.

With all this talk about NET,  Quad W's and L's, RPI, et al, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that supposedly the committee takes into consideration how a team is closing out there season, ie they're playing good and winning. We have at least one good W, RI, and have won 4 straight including 2 on the road. Beat ST. B's, I pray we do, that's 5 in a row,   get to the finals in the tourney, hopefully against SVU, and even if we lose, I'd think that's a pretty strong finishing resume. 

I watched a little of the UI v OSU game last night, and didn't realize there were so many Big 10 teams w/ 10-6 or 11-6 records. I think it was like half the conference. I can see why the rumors of them getting 10 in are probably true. Still, think that's way too many, but it might not be. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

With all this talk about NET,  Quad W's and L's, RPI, et al, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that supposedly the committee takes into consideration how a team is closing out there season, ie they're playing good and winning. We have at least one good W, RI, and have won 4 straight including 2 on the road. Beat ST. B's, I pray we do, that's 5 in a row,   get to the finals in the tourney, hopefully against SVU, and even if we lose, I'd think that's a pretty strong finishing resume. 

Bringing this along again.  Nothing in here about closing out a season.  In fact, I have heard all games are equal.  I remember they used to say that last run was used, but maybe not anymore.  

Selection Criteria

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Bringing this along again.  Nothing in here about closing out a season.  In fact, I have heard all games are equal.  I remember they used to say that last run was used, but maybe not anymore.  

Selection Criteria

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

Ok, I stand corrected. It was just something you used to hear on Selection Sunday when a surprise team got in and the analysts would say, they had a really strong finish to the season and the committee is looking for teams that are playing at their best right now. 

Saw in today ' s Bracketology,   Jerry Palm has Belmont and Eastern Washington #15 seeds

I think the Bills need to only look at the sure way to get into the NCAA. That is win tomorrow and hopefully get into Top 4 for A-10 Tourney. Win the tourney again and by getting a top 4 seed we would only need 2 wins not 4 like last year.

11 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I think the Bills need to only look at the sure way to get into the NCAA. That is win tomorrow and hopefully get into Top 4 for A-10 Tourney. Win the tourney again and by getting a top 4 seed we would only need 2 wins not 4 like last year.

Three wins for a championship.  Two would result in losing in the championship game.

11 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Three wins. 

SLU_Nick likes this