At Large Talk

Found this on ESPN....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Saint Louis. Last seen recording consecutive road wins by double-digit margins at Rhode Island and George Mason, the Billikens have zero Tulsa-type NET issues. Clocking in with a 50-something ranking for the metric in question, Travis Ford's team is actually above such Bubble Watch mainstays as NC State, South Carolina and Memphis (to say nothing of Furman, Stephen F. Austin and the aforementioned Bruins).

No, SLU's absence from mock brackets may stem instead from an insufficiency in big wins (at Richmond and URI) relative to losses (eight of them, including two in Quad 3). It's a close case, however, and, obviously, if that overtime period at home against Dayton had ended in victory, we're having a different conversation.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Pretty sure Northern Iowa wouldn't get an at-large bid if they lose today. They were an 11 seed automatic in Lunardi's last bracket and a loss to a team in the 160s in the NET at this point is brutal

Back to a six point game

17 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Pretty sure Northern Iowa wouldn't get an at-large bid if they lose today. They were an 11 seed automatic in Lunardi's last bracket and a loss to a team in the 160s in the NET at this point is brutal

Exactly.  If UNI losses, we want them to lose this game (and hopefully by a wide margin) such that they hopefully fall out of the tournament entirely.  The longer they hang around in the MVC tournament, the better chance they have of getting an at-large bid if they lose because they'll have more wins and their loss will probably be to a stronger opponent.

Edit: I've almost thought myself into rooting for Drake to win because of this.  I don't want to fret about UNI losing all weekend.

Edited by RUBillsFan

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I just looked it up. They only have 5 losses???? I don't know what I want to happen ha. 

It is definitely best for us if they just win the MVC tournament.  The 2nd best thing is for them to lose this game big.  Since option #2 looks much more realistic right now, I think I'll take it.

Edit: UNI losing also opens things up more for a miracle run by SIU or Valpo which would be nice for SLU's resume.

Edited by RUBillsFan

Just now, Littlebill said:

Now back to 11 under 8. We'll see.

ya i take it back. When UNI made that big run I thought they were just gonna end up blowing out drake 

9 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Drake has pushed the lead to 16. 

UNI getting clobbered that bad by the #8 Seed shows it is not an NCAA worthy team, irrespective of some computer rating. 

Juan Bid visits the Valley, again.

In addition, based upon historical precedent, I'm not convinced St. Mary's will get an NCAA At Large bid either.  The NCAA giving the WCC 3 bids is virtually unfathomable.

I feel good about that. YOU can't lose by TWENTY ONE and have an argument. I think this is best case scenario? 

Just now, glazedandconfused said:

I don't think 14-5 in the MVC this year is going to be looked at too fondly by selection committee. Putting us aside since we still have some work to do, I don't know how you put UNI in over Richmond at this point.

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I feel good about that. YOU can't lose by TWENTY ONE and have an argument. I think this is best case scenario? 

Best case, I guess, is UNI winning the MVC tourney, but this is definitely 2nd best. Though any potential A10 11 seeds will now be a seed higher since MVC winner will be a 13/14 seed.