At Large Talk

3 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

The “bracketolgists” are criminal it could be because I’m biased, but on USA Today’s latest bracketology they have Clemson mentioned, they have a 81 net they have Tulsa mentioned a 75 net they have unc-Greensboro mentioned a 79, but our 53 isn’t even in discussion. 

They are not criminals, they are journalists. Their concern is not to be right but to produce something their audience will like and read. Do you think they consult the NET results and base their opinions on them? Do you think the NET will be the main tool used by NCAA in their selections? As far as the journalists go, it is no skin off their noses, their profession does this constantly. As far as the NCAA goes, they will probably be able to justify whatever they do by talking circles around their regulations and decisions.

BillIkenFan_Dan likes this

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to get the houses bugged during the coaches home visits. I guess I just don't have the clout to get a copy of the recordings from those that do. 

My impression of Rick was that he was honest, even to the point of being brutally honest. I doubt he tells anyone come to SLU, it doesn't matter what you do, how hard you work, just be a good student and you're good. I got ya. 

28 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

For what it’s worth, Lunardi has at 80th on the seed line

The numbers are kind of confusing, so just to clarify: Lunardi does not have us as the 80th best team in the nation.  He has us as the 12th team OUT of the tournament (68 tournament teams + 12 = 80).  There are a bunch of teams (probably 20 or so) who will get auto-bids that would be ranked behind us.

This seems to match with SLU being projected as a 3 seed in the NIT.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The numbers are kind of confusing, so just to clarify: Lunardi does not have us as the 80th best team in the nation.  He has us as the 12th team OUT of the tournament (68 tournament teams + 12 = 80).  There are a bunch of teams (probably 20 or so) who will get auto-bids that would be ranked behind us.

Rhode Island in front of us is total bull sh!t.  They need to lose and we need to kick the crap out of the Bonnies.

BigMouthBilliken likes this

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Which is kinda where we have shown up in a few NIT bracketology articles 

This Lunardi chart is encouraging. It's more empirical. Think of it this way: 11 teams are currently out, and have better profiles than we do. Win on Saturday, things improve. Win in the quarters, they improve more. And then we'll see where it stands. Some of those teams will lose. Whatever teams are behind us, they'd need to do something big to pass us, just like we'd leapfrog about ten spots if we beat Dayton. Teams hanging on as "First Four Out" will drop if they drop their next game. On the flip side, there will be bid thieves. 

I looked at some of the Big Ten teams that are in. They don't play anyone out of conference and then do ok against other teams that play no one. Rutgers 1-8 on the road and 0-2 Neutral. Besides Big 10 teams they have a good win vs Seton Hall but losses to the Bonnies and Pitt. 

SLU's NET is 53, making it in the Next 4 OUT, the 5th team OUT of the NCAA, per a pure following of the NET.  That NET also translates into a 2 Seed in the NIT.

Re the Quads, SLU is 2-4 vs. Quad 1, 2-3 vs. Quad 2, 9-1 vs. Quad 3, and 8-0 vs. Quad 4.  

The killer losses were the Quad 1 Home Loss to Dayton, and I agree, SLU would have an NCAA At Large right now had that Crutcher prayer not gone in at the horn, and the come from 16 points ahead road loss at UMass.  The Duquesne home loss did not help either, but that one was a 14 point loss, not much woulda coulda there.

The SLU team is definitely trending upward, has a fighting chance to finish 3rd or 4th, although SLU does not control its own destiny there, needs help elsewhere.  SLU could do some great things in Brooklyn, just like last year, except hopefully needing 3 games to do it, not 4.   No one in the A10 wants to play the Big, Bad Billikens.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I looked at some of the Big Ten teams that are in. They don't play anyone out of conference and then do ok against other teams that play no one. Rutgers 1-8 on the road and 0-2 Neutral. Besides Big 10 teams they have a good win vs Seton Hall but losses to the Bonnies and Pitt. 

I can't find where I saw it, but Rutgers would be the first team since 1994 Illinois to make it as an at-large to the NCAA with less than 3 wins away from home. Like you said, they are currently 1-10 away from home. A Rutgers bid would be unprecedented at this point. 

slufanskip likes this

22 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I can't find where I saw it, but Rutgers would be the first team since 1994 Illinois to make it as an at-large to the NCAA with less than 3 wins away from home. Like you said, they are currently 1-10 away from home. A Rutgers bid would be unprecedented at this point. 

Would be so annoying to waste a bid on a team that showed they can’t win away. Like wasting an at large on a 300 ranked team 

48 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Unless they're playing all the tourney games @ Rutgers. And in that case put em in. 

On 3/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, NextYearBill said:

praying for another shot at Dayton... thats your dance ticket 

Yep.  Feels like we either need to beat Dayton or win it all to make it. 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU's NET is 53, making it in the Next 4 OUT, the 5th team OUT of the NCAA, per a pure following of the NET.  That NET also translates into a 2 Seed in the NIT.

Re the Quads, SLU is 2-4 vs. Quad 1, 2-3 vs. Quad 2, 9-1 vs. Quad 3, and 8-0 vs. Quad 4.  

The killer losses were the Quad 1 Home Loss to Dayton, and I agree, SLU would have an NCAA At Large right now had that Crutcher prayer not gone in at the horn, and the come from 16 points ahead road loss at UMass.  The Duquesne home loss did not help either, but that one was a 14 point loss, not much woulda coulda there.

The SLU team is definitely trending upward, has a fighting chance to finish 3rd or 4th, although SLU does not control its own destiny there, needs help elsewhere.  SLU could do some great things in Brooklyn, just like last year, except hopefully needing 3 games to do it, not 4.   No one in the A10 wants to play the Big, Bad Billikens.

According to Jerry Palm, NET doesn't mean much.

23 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ha.   i got myself into it now.  🙂  i think dambrot with duquesne  is a very good floor coach and i like schmidt at st b.  i consider them the two best in the A10.   obviously rickma was a game master might be the best ever.   i love mark few at game time.   i like scott drew.  these are the ones that come to me off the top of my head.  i am not looking up their records because i am lazy. 

Could easily have added McKillop to that list.