At Large Talk

Normally I understand that P5 teams get the nod over mid majors but the NET is just blatantly cheating at this point.  Way worse than Sagarin, RPI, etc.  in my opinion.

Look at Arizona and Duke....they just keep losing to bad teams and stay top 15.  Duke gets blown out by NC St, Loses to a terrible Wake team, and then a down UVA team.

I really hope the committee has the independent thought to use their brains and not just look at metrics.  

We blew out Richmond and URI on the road, whipped VCU at home and played Dayton closer than anyone except Kansas (each one on National TV btw). 

If we lose 1 more game this season, we should be getting a serious look.  

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

We blew out Richmond and URI on the road

this.

And Duquesne clobbered us twice.  Whoever gets to the A10 final will get the at-large.  Rhode Island can secure an at-large before then by knocking off Dayton.  Fatts has been carrying URI to victory all season but we wouldn't let it happen. 

CBFan likes this

44 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Normally I understand that P5 teams get the nod over mid majors but the NET is just blatantly cheating at this point.  Way worse than Sagarin, RPI, etc.  in my opinion.

Look at Arizona and Duke....they just keep losing to bad teams and stay top 15.  Duke gets blown out by NC St, Loses to a terrible Wake team, and then a down UVA team.

I really hope the committee has the independent thought to use their brains and not just look at metrics.  

We blew out Richmond and URI on the road, whipped VCU at home and played Dayton closer than anyone except Kansas (each one on National TV btw). 

If we lose 1 more game this season, we should be getting a serious look.  

Dayton is 3rd without any top 30 wins. We have eight losses and no good enough wins to off set them. 

I don’t think we’d be a tourney team even pre-net. No great wins on the resume.

have we beaten a team that’s in the tournament at this point?

CBFan likes this

What has killed the A-10 is that nobody has beaten Dayton. If Dayton were 14-2 instead of 16-0, the "love would be spread around." Teams like Kansas that are 13-3 in Q-1 games can still be a top seed despite the 3 losses. But those wins get spread out to other teams in their conference. If, say, we and VCU had beaten Dayton, Dayton would still be around 8-12 in NET. Yet we'd be in the 40s, and VCU as well, meaning teams that beat us would get more of a boost. 

Believe me, nobody in the ACC thinks that NET is biased towards them when they have 4 teams projected in the Dance vs. the Big 10 with ten teams. And I don't think the committee likes the WCC and the American more than the A-10. We just have four teams bunched between 48-57 in NET, and that's fringy without major OOC victories. 

The Umass game hurts the most.  Yes, you and I all know thats a young team that has a bright future, but the computers dont see it that way. I honestly think if we had beaten Umass you would see our name on some of the bracket talk. 

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The Umass game hurts the most.  Yes, you and I all know thats a young team that has a bright future, but the computers dont see it that way. I honestly think if we had beaten Umass you would see our name on some of the bracket talk. 

Not disagreeing at all, but Duquesne came to Chaifetz and took our lunch money.  That is our second Q3 loss.  Both of these games should have flipped the other way.

CBFan likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Not disagreeing at all, but Duquesne came to Chaifetz and took our lunch money.  That is our second Q3 loss.  Both of these games should have flipped the other way.

at the time, it wasnt a bad loss, and they were playing quite well.  Now it hurts. 

If the Bills can close out with two wins this week, they get up to 22-8, and a NET likely between 52-55. Assuming a bye, they get the #5 team, most likely, and that's a Q-2 game on a neutral court. Then most likely Dayton. A win there, and I'd say the Bills would be in, even with a finals loss. Somehow if the seeding gets jumbled and SLU  as #3 seed faces URI or Richmond in the semis, and wins, that's likely another Q-1 win. Perhaps VCU in the quarters would also help out SLU a lot. Now we're talking a NET around 40 and a nationally televised game against Dayton.

At that point, we're on national TV, on the bubble, and if SLU shows out but loses, and the committee admits that SLU would've been a Crutcher miss in Chaifetz from an at-large anyway, maybe SLU passes the eyeball test. 

SLU_Nick likes this

3 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Duquense then, as is the case now, is a bad loss.

correct.  The difference between them and Umass is that going into the Umass game, that would have been a bad loss. Wasn't the case with duquesne.

49 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The Dayton games hurt the most as far as our resume goes. We don't have any banner wins and that would have been one of them. I'd gladly trade a bad loss for a win over Dayton or Seton Hall or Auburn at this point. Our NET may not change but the perception of our NET would...

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The Dayton games hurt the most as far as our resume goes. We don't have any banner wins and that would have been one of them. I'd gladly trade a bad loss for a win over Dayton or Seton Hall or Auburn at this point. Our NET may not change but the perception of our NET would...

I was talking about damaging losses. So I agree. 

9 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

Clarifying question: when a pundit says something like "the A10 is a one bid league," do they mean that they are a one bid league IN ADDITION to the conference champion? Or are they saying they expect that conference to only place their conference champion and no other team in the NCAA tournament?

It means just one team total, no matter how you slice it up. 

15 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

Clarifying question: when a pundit says something like "the A10 is a one bid league," do they mean that they are a one bid league IN ADDITION to the conference champion? Or are they saying they expect that conference to only place their conference champion and no other team in the NCAA tournament?

They mean one bid total, the automatic. That is only even possible if Dayton wins the A10 Tourney. The #1 seed has not won the A10 Tourney since SLU in 2013.

The only way I see the A10 getting two right now is if someone other than Dayton wins in Brooklyn.  Right now, I see the NCAA saying no one compares to Dayton or other NET teams and they will think they are justified in saying so.  

Dayton beat Richmond by 8.  They beat Rhode Island by 14 with one pending.  They beat us by 8 over two games.  They beat VCU by 19 over two games.  They beat Bonaventure by 26 and they beat Duquesne by 14 over two games.  We are the only team to really press them and their fan base doesn't want to see us again.

MusicCityBilliken and CBFan like this

17 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

i think typically they mean one bid period.  but we all know that if dayton loses in the conf tourney we will get at least 2.

Rhode Island will have to gather a lot of momentum and energy for taking Dayton down Wednesday night.  Unbeaten regular season.  Makign their own case for a bid.  Senior Night for Dowtin and Langevine.  If they don't find that, the team i saw yesterday will stand little to no chance of winning on Wednesday.

NET ranking is 57. 

RPI ranking (for what its worth) is 44.

We need to win the remaining 2 games or perform very well in the conference tournament to get an at large bid. The team is really coming together well at the right time and a lot of freshmen have found their confidence. I would guess 40% chance at this time.

56 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hot take, im starting to think I want the 6 seed more than the 4. 😀

Also late Wednesday night we could see a race get hot for the 3rd seed

I want wherever Duquesne isn't. If they're the 5, I wouldn't hate having to play an extra game. Worst case scenario, we're the 5 and Duquense is the 6. Although, I'm not sure they're good enough to beat any team three times in a row, much less one as good as ours.