Future rosters and recruiting needs

bauman

NH --- before your time, Marquette had a point guard named Miller (i forget his first name).  When he was a junior, they brought in freshman Aaron Hutchens (I think) and by the time Miller was a senior and Hutchens was a sophomore, Hutchens was taking over.  To me, that was sustainability.  I advocate that.

Watching the A10 this year, I see a similar situation developing at VCU where Bones Hyland is taking over down the stretch for Marcus Evans. Now, Evans is hurt but the transition is inevitable and hastened by Evans injury.  Another is KeyShawn Curry at VCU.  Hyland is more the shooter, Curry the driver.  And, as noted in a recruiting thread, they add BCHL three-time MVP Ace Baldwin to their roster next year as well.

But yeah, we are on the same page.

We are likely never going to land another JGood. He's just not your typical player. He's an anomaly. So to keep up the rebounding dominance, we're going to need another French type. I think Jimmy Bell's board game will improve. Hargrove may help as well, but I'd really like us to land a 6'7-8" guy who's strong like bull who rips the ball from the boards. 

This is one of the things that makes college basketball so interesting. A raw recruit from high school becoming a mass of muscle, coordination and activity like French has done. I am all for getting the next French, I hope we find him.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

These are all good points.  Also, I think even if he gets to 70% can you count on it staying at that level? - who knows but do you really want to take that risk whether you are Fred or Ford?  I feel for Fred but honestly he needs to keep the big  picture in focus - the remaining hopefully long life he has left to live.  Basketball is a love of his I understand and it but he has to think long term for his health.  SLU will allow him stay on track for his degree - we have seen it with Femi John.

Ford said he expects fred to be 100%. i am going to go with that until shown otherwise and forego the speculation.

slufanskip likes this

11 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Ford said he expects fred to be 100%. i am going to go with that until shown otherwise and forego the speculation.

First what do you expect him to say - he can not go on the air and reveal Fred's medical history (HIPPA prevents this).  Second staying positive until Fred makes up his mind is the only avenue available to Ford.  Third, obviously you have forgotten all the false positive comments the Cardinals give about their players when they get injured - you are entitled to think how you wish but this is a very serious situation for Fred. Finally, my response was to the 70% comment that was made - not by you.  I am sorry, Fred at 70% is not a good thing.

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

First what do you expect him to say - he can not go on the air and reveal Fred's medical history (HIPPA prevents this).  Second staying positive until Fred makes up his mind is the only avenue available to Ford.  Third, obviously you have forgotten all the false positive comments the Cardinals give about their players when they get injured - you are entitled to think how you wish but this is a very serious situation for Fred. Finally, my response was to the 70% comment that was made - not by you.  I am sorry, Fred at 70% is not a good thing.

I dont pay much attention the cardinals and i am not sure how that is relevant. Obviously it is a serious situation for Fred. Why mbms think that speculating about a young man's health and pulling numbers like70% out of their arse is a good thing is something i dont understand. Why not 65 or 73 or 81.5%? these are made up numbers that mean nothing at this pt.

slufanskip likes this

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

First what do you expect him to say - he can not go on the air and reveal Fred's medical history (HIPPA prevents this).  

Yep, I agree.  Which is why his choice of words should be said carefully.  So when he says such things about Freds return, that should hold weight, no? 

Also regarding the cardinals, just because some GM/coaches are that way doesn't mean they all are. And that has also turned around to bit the cardinals a lot.  Ford hopefully knows this.