GDT: Ram jam in RI for the bye game 1 of 3

CBFan

14 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

My take is French tries to guide the ball, rather than shoot it off his fingertips.

I disagree.  In fact french seems preoccupied with the spin and ends up basically shooting the entire shot with a strong wrist flip

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

These guys said they'd seen Rhode Island "a number of times this season" or something along those lines during the game. 3star pointed out they're a New England-based crew. They should've done a better job of being unbiased for a national broadcast but this was clearly a regional crew getting broadcast out to a larger audience, not a national crew traveling to RI.

I feel like the only person here who doesn't get worked up about unfriendly announcers. I generally like hearing outsiders to see what they get right and wrong about our team and to get their general perspective on us. And sometimes we come away with long-standing joke material like "Pelicans".

I'm with you. Too much is made about biased announcers. I don't ever recall a game in any sport where the announcing crew had any effect on the outcome of the game.

SShoe likes this

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

These guys said they'd seen Rhode Island "a number of times this season" or something along those lines during the game. 3star pointed out they're a New England-based crew. They should've done a better job of being unbiased for a national broadcast but this was clearly a regional crew getting broadcast out to a larger audience, not a national crew traveling to RI.

I feel like the only person here who doesn't get worked up about unfriendly announcers. I generally like hearing outsiders to see what they get right and wrong about our team and to get their general perspective on us. And sometimes we come away with long-standing joke material like "Pelicans".

I didn’t really get worked up save for the tackle comment toward Hargrove and them saying that French should have been called for the foul on Fatts shooting the 3 

27 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

My take is French tries to guide the ball, rather than shoot it off his fingertips.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I disagree.  In fact french seems preoccupied with the spin and ends up basically shooting the entire shot with a strong wrist flip

I think his biggest problem is that he is stepping up to the line trying not to miss badly instead of trying to make it. 
His form is all messed up but even with mad mechanics he should be able to shoot 50%. 
He’s worried about throwing up an air ball and it’s got him all screwed up.

RUBillsFan likes this

30 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I didn’t really get worked up save for the tackle comment toward Hargrove and them saying that French should have been called for the foul on Fatts shooting the 3 

I read the GDT on the RI forum this morning. A lot of complaints about that "no call" except for a couple of guys who correctly and reasonably stated that Fatts (literally) went out of his way to make contact and French did nothing to justify a foul call. I don't follow Fatts's career, but I got the impression that he is known for that tactic and maybe word has gotten out among coaches and officials and they don't fall for it.

"I agree that in many cases Fatts is trying too hard to get fouled. From the angle we had on that 3 PT "attempt", he was literally flailing forward in order to try to make contact, initiated by him. You can't just throw yourself into someone like that and expect the call. It was blatant. I'm sure the refs are not giving Fatts those calls like he was getting earlier in the season. Have to adjust."

Some other amusing things on their GDT:

Lots of complaints about the empty student section (What? No t-shirts and free food? I ain't going!)  Sound familiar?

Prior to the game? We should be able to handle this bunch. Just send 'em to the free throw line and pull down the rebounds.  During and after? Man our team sucks! Our coach sucks, didn't have 'em prepared. Man the refs suck, letting SLU get away with mugging Fatts and then we get called at the other end for every little thing.

Now, with Dayton coming in, they are very scared their promising season is about to go down the tubes completely. Arguing about whether an NIT bid is good or bad.

5 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Agree, what was sad about it was this was on ESPNU. They are a national broadcast and I would expect a little more objectivity. After all URI is not UD and except for few minutes, always was a double digit lead  If the broadcast was from a regional Fox, I would have cut them some slack for being biased.

Bias and lack of objectivity is something that does not affect the media too much.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I generally don't either but this wasn't just local bias, it was over the top. 

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i say a lot because he is completely broken.   now if an honest attempt is NOT made to redo his shot and work with him over the summer, i agree, not much will change. 

an honest attempt does NOT equal shooting a lot of free throws.   they have to break the bad habits first.   and someone has to monitor him after constantly to make sure they do not return.  

I agree Roy, but his technique in warm ups is totally different than in the game.  To me, that is the most frustrating part.  He is smoother, more coordinated in his upper and lower body movements, extends his arms upward instead of out....it's like something takes over his body during the game.   I vote for ballet or sports psychologist.  It will take something like that, IMHO.

mhg

4 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I agree Roy, but his technique in warm ups is totally different than in the game.  To me, that is the most frustrating part.  He is smoother, more coordinated in his upper and lower body movements, extends his arms upward instead of out....it's like something takes over his body during the game.   I vote for ballet or sports psychologist.  It will take something like that, IMHO.

mhg

the common denominator is the flick of the wrist with exagerated spin.    he is stuck on that wrist shot. 

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

that likely wont happen until summer.   now we have too much basketball to play.   free throws have to be taught one on one.  think soderberg sitting across from liddell an hour a day "shooting" the ball back and forth while they talked and soderberg corrected as they sat.   only way french can be fixed imo is a total start over. 

I'd have JP teach him. If Has did the exact routine Rammer describes before each of Perkin's FT's. it would have to be better than what's happening now.

38 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Same, especially if he is in a leotard 

Whenever somebody mentions ballet, I automatically think of that scene in The Other Guys where Will Ferrell asks Mark Wahlberg, “You learned ballet sarcastically?”

Bills By 40 likes this

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Whenever somebody mentions ballet, I automatically think of that scene in The Other Guys where Will Ferrell asks Mark Wahlberg, “You learned ballet sarcastically?”

This.  Beat me to it.

"You think I can't do this sh!t!?"

"I love you, Francine.  If you were with me, you wouldn't be here in this strip club shakin' it for dollar bills."

Oh, and it's just Wahlberg.  Or fuokin' Wahlberg.  Everyone on Earth knows you're talking about Wahlberg.

Same as fuokin' McConaughey or fuokin' Efron or fuokin' The Rock.

Once one reaches that critical mass of BDE, you can just drop the first name.

Bills By 40 and Reinert310 like this