GDT: Ram jam in RI for the bye game 1 of 3

CBFan

6 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

Stopped the break, I’m okay with that foul

Good shot. Good foul. They had transition bucket coming. Open free throw line jumper for Goodwin is a good shot. 

You guys should go watch the play again. There wasn't a break. They had 3 guys in the paint and 2 guys at the 3 point line when the ball was rebounded. we had 3 guys behind their most forward player. 2 guys back and JGood was also behind their guys and  would have been back had he not stood flat footed and stabbed at the ball as the guy ran past him,

As far as the shot, there was 25 seconds left on the shot clock and he never really even got squared up for the shot. 

I'm not meaning to get on JGood, he had his typical all around fantastic game. I'd bet if you asked him though he'd tell you the shot wasn't great and the d was worse. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Can we talk about the embarrassing performance by Mark Plansky? He did color commentary for the game and made a fool of himself. Begging for fouls for Fats on ridiculous attempts, was awful. He acted like he was banging Russell. Maybe Fats played selfishly shooting fade away 3s. 

This was honestly one of the worst all-around broadcasts I’ve ever had to listen to.  Between giving us an in game FG tracker of Fatts Russell to the URI tourney probability 4 different times to the comment about literally tackling one of our guys it was so one-sided and unprofessional it was embarrassing.  

The whole game they stayed away from giving us any credit for maintaining a double digit margin against a tourney team on the road all afternoon and instead made it the “what Rhody is doing wrong and how they can win” show.  It wasn’t until a minute left when the game was out of reach that they even mentioned we had tourney chances of our own.

Thabk god we won.  Announcers were a couple of clowns.

rgbilliken likes this

3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Can we talk about the embarrassing performance by Mark Plansky? He did color commentary for the game and made a fool of himself. Begging for fouls for Fats on ridiculous attempts, was awful. He acted like he was banging Russell. Maybe Fats played selfishly shooting fade away 3s. 

It had to have been one of the most biased called games I've ever heard. Both announcers should be embarrassed 

1 hour ago, Fraz42 said:

This was honestly one of the worst all-around broadcasts I’ve ever had to listen to.  Between giving us an in game FG tracker of Fatts Russell to the URI tourney probability 4 different times to the comment about literally tackling one of our guys it was so one-sided and unprofessional it was embarrassing.  

The whole game they stayed away from giving us any credit for maintaining a double digit margin against a tourney team on the road all afternoon and instead made it the “what Rhody is doing wrong and how they can win” show.  It wasn’t until a minute left when the game was out of reach that they even mentioned we had tourney chances of our own.

Fuok right, good post.  I was complaining to my wife that it was the most lopsided sh!t I'd seen in a long time.  Bills were never given ANY due.  You'd have thought we were playing a blue blood, but nope, just fuoking Chode Island.  Big gotdamn whoop.

Smoked 'em.  Fuok 'em.

b4e49ba2ddcc1baeaad24bfb805f0dad.gif

1 hour ago, Fraz42 said:

When the game didn't start on ESPNU because of the lacrosse game, I logged into 101.1 with Ramsey and Earl on Tunein.  Then I found the game on ESPNnews and realized it was perfectly in sync with Bob and Earl's broadcast.  So I just left the radio on and watched the TV.  I thankfully missed all the TV announcers comments.

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

Weaver graduates and no guards signed, Jacobs will play and probably start next season.

Hargrove improves and takes minutes, Jimerson and Thatch both come back. Andre and Markhi both have to take minutes from somewhere and I don't see a better person to take them from. No chance Jacobs can start over Perkins at this rate, and that's not to mention Thatch who probably would've started over him this season. 

7 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Our Net ranking has climbed to 57.

Up 18 spots in Sagarin from 97 to 79!!

7 hours ago, abas115 said:

Hargrove improves and takes minutes, Jimerson and Thatch both come back. Andre and Markhi both have to take minutes from somewhere and I don't see a better person to take them from. No chance Jacobs can start over Perkins at this rate, and that's not to mention Thatch who probably would've started over him this season. 

Fair enough with Thatch but we just do not know if he returns and I hope so much for the young man that he does.

Andre, Markhi, Hargrove, Perkins and Jimerson are wings and Jacobs is the only back up point guard, different positions so I disagree.  Also what if Jacobs makes the same measure of improvement on his junior year that he has from his freshman year then he will average double figures.  Jacobs will be a junior and Markhi and Andre are freshman early on it would not make sense to have them playing against the best opponents in non-conference I want the guy that has been there and that is Jacobs.

I my opinion the best from Jacobs has yet to come and as I stated in other posts once Jacobs sees the ball go through the net then his confidence builds and he tries to score.  When Jacobs makes mistakes he gets timid.  We have seen some games how effective of a scorer Jacobs can be that is why I feel the best has yet to come.

One thing if Jacobs is just a 5 minute a game player next season then we are in terrific shape and ranked.

9 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

Plus, they kept calling Hasahn as Hasahn Martin. They finally got that fixed about 15 minutes in. They were so pro RI it was sickening. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Plus, they kept calling Hasahn as Hasahn Martin. They finally got that fixed about 15 minutes in. They were so pro RI it was sickening. 

Agree, what was sad about it was this was on ESPNU. They are a national broadcast and I would expect a little more objectivity. After all URI is not UD and except for few minutes, always was a double digit lead  If the broadcast was from a regional Fox, I would have cut them some slack for being biased.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Timing for finding his stroke is certainly good for Goodwin and the Billikens.

JGood needs to help French find his stroke.  
Perkins and consistent play from Hargrove  and Bell has got our team on a good run.  The last 3 games from Hargrove have replaced Jimerson’s scoring average and Bell playing for French the last 6 minutes of the second half was really huge.  Bell was effective against the decent RI bigs.

If the current trend continues for the remaining games and conference tournament then SLU is in the NCAA tournament.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

JGood needs to help French find his stroke.  
Perkins and consistent play from Hargrove  and Bell has got our team on a good run.  The last 3 games from Hargrove have replaced Jimerson’s scoring average and Bell playing for French the last 6 minutes of the second half was really huge.  Bell was effective against the decent RI bigs.

If the current trend continues for the remaining games and conference tournament then SLU is in the NCAA tournament.

that likely wont happen until summer.   now we have too much basketball to play.   free throws have to be taught one on one.  think soderberg sitting across from liddell an hour a day "shooting" the ball back and forth while they talked and soderberg corrected as they sat.   only way french can be fixed imo is a total start over. 

Coach says Hasahn makes 80 out of 100 free throws in practice.  Anybody want to disagree?  I don't.  I'll believe him.  It's the coach speaking, right?  So if we go on that, something drastic HAS to happen.  I don't know what ----- sports psychologist, hypnosis, underhanded attempts.  Props to Goodwin ---- while he is still overall at 56%, he has gone 22 of 33 (67%) over his last seven games with 9 of 10 in the last two.  Bewst yet is that the promise for better next year is alive and well.  Ford pulled French with what just over five to go yesterday and while that worked, we can't have our biggest big guy sitting at crucial closeouts.  Hasahn is currently at 33% ---- other bigs around the league are Toppin 69%, Tshimanga at 56%, Golden at 71%, Cayo at 80%, Langevine at 50%, Weathers at 69%, Hughes at 66%, Osunniyi at 56%, Brajkovic at 74%,  Santos-Silva at 54%, Mitchell at 71%, and Croswell at 55%.  On average, the combination is at 64% overall, 31 percentage points higher than Hasahn.  Hasahn shooting 64% would add about 49 points to his total, only 1.5 ppg but it would dispel the "Hack-a-Has' philosophy a lot.

I don't know how much improvement can be expected over one off season but the only way to go is up.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don't know how much improvement can be expected over one off season but the only way to go is up.

i say a lot because he is completely broken.   now if an honest attempt is NOT made to redo his shot and work with him over the summer, i agree, not much will change. 

an honest attempt does NOT equal shooting a lot of free throws.   they have to break the bad habits first.   and someone has to monitor him after constantly to make sure they do not return.  

13 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It had to have been one of the most biased called games I've ever heard. Both announcers should be embarrassed 

Glad I watched it at a bar with no sound.

Not having to hear crowd noise and crappy announcers helps keep my stress levels down.

9 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Glad I watched it at a bar with no sound.

Not having to hear crowd noise and crappy announcers helps keep my stress levels down.

it makes me more stressed watching without sound lol

These guys said they'd seen Rhode Island "a number of times this season" or something along those lines during the game. 3star pointed out they're a New England-based crew. They should've done a better job of being unbiased for a national broadcast but this was clearly a regional crew getting broadcast out to a larger audience, not a national crew traveling to RI.

I feel like the only person here who doesn't get worked up about unfriendly announcers. I generally like hearing outsiders to see what they get right and wrong about our team and to get their general perspective on us. And sometimes we come away with long-standing joke material like "Pelicans".

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i say a lot because he is completely broken.   now if an honest attempt is NOT made to redo his shot and work with him over the summer, i agree, not much will change. 

an honest attempt does NOT equal shooting a lot of free throws.   they have to break the bad habits first.   and someone has to monitor him after constantly to make sure they do not return.  

My take is French tries to guide the ball, rather than shoot it off his fingertips.

11 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

My take is French tries to guide the ball, rather than shoot it off his fingertips.

Agreed. He's just pushing it up there with no idea where it's gonna go. It makes me wonder if growing up, he ever actually shot a basketball other than hooks, layups and dunks.