Welcome Andre Lorentsson!

moytoy12

3 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The 90s was the time I was thinking of. I think Spoon would have killed to have French or Bell.

If Jamal Johnson had transferred to SLU out of juco instead of the Florida school he went to for a year, then Spoon's 1993-94 and '94-95 squads would have been killers!  We might not be lamenting the program's lack of a Sweet 16 or deeper run.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, NH said:

During the Soderberg era we got occasional dunks from Liddell and Justin Johnson. I suppose Ian and Husak occasionally dunked as well.

We has a fair number of dunks with Willie Reed and Jon Smith. The teams after that (2011-2014) rarely dunked, outside of Dwayne Evans and occasionally Rob Loe.

We've certainly never had a team where two guards (until Jacobs and Goodwin) dunked regularly 

I think Justin Johnson's best dunks came in warmups. 

4 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I saw claggett dunk in his freshman year and never saw another from him. A dunk was a very rare sighting on those teams

Claggett dunked once and his shorts fell down.

7 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I saw claggett dunk in his freshman year and never saw another from him. A dunk was a very rare sighting on those teams

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Claggett dunked once and his shorts fell down.

Well Dennis, there's your answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Article on Lorentsson from Stu.  I know Stuen's trip to Europe in the season had us speculating but interesting info on it in the article.  Apparently wasn't targeting anybody but was just told by Ray Giacoletti that the tournament he was going to is a place to spot for talent.

Link

Thanks for sharing. Stating the obvious: We're in for a lot of success if this staff adds a European pipeline to its stellar domestic recruiting. 

6 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Thanks for sharing. Stating the obvious: We're in for a lot of success if this staff adds a European pipeline to its stellar domestic recruiting. 

soon to be just STL and international kids

One of the more interesting parts of the story was reading that we got him instead of Davidson, given his coach in Sweden having played for Davidson and staying friends with the Davidson HC.  Also, liked reading about the 3 pt shooting comparison with Gibson.  Add that in with the 2nd-half-of-the-season Perkins and a good day from Jacobs and we have a team of snipers, which should open up the lane for JB Jr., HF, our new Grad transfer and JG.

Lets just hope that the international travel situation improves sooner rather than later so Andre can make it to STL to start working with our staff.

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

One of the more interesting parts of the story was reading that we got him instead of Davidson, given his coach in Sweden having played for Davidson and staying friends with the Davidson HC.  

I’ll admit, when I heard this part of the story when he visited/committed, I was concerned that he wasn’t visiting Davidson, which could suggest that his coach told McKillop that Andre wasn’t good enough. Later, it sounded like Davidson did have some interest, and for whatever reason, he chose us.

I’m interested to see how he does.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe when Corey Tate was on the mend after his injury and surgery, Coach Ford lobbied the NCAA to allow Giacoletti to temporarily take over Tate's coaching duties and recruiting privileges.

Yes but in this instance he just clued Stuen into a tournament. He was not brought in to recruit. 

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes but in this instance he just clued Stuen into a tournament. He was not brought in to recruit. 

The article says that Ray clued Stuen into the Euro tournament, but also mentions that both he and Stuen later went to see Andre at the game in Rhode Island.  Going to see a recruit in person seems like recruiting activity that Ray normally couldn't do, but for which (as Quality mentions) Ray had a wavier because of Tate's situation.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, slu72 said:

I think Justin Johnson's best dunks came in warmups. 

Best warm up player Bills ever had. Games, eh, not so much. 

Mo Jeffers probably still has the best Billiken dunk of all time v St B's I believe. 

SLU_Lax likes this

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Best warm up player Bills ever had. Games, eh, not so much. 

Mo Jeffers probably still has the best Billiken dunk of all time v St B's I believe. 

Mo Jeffers dunking over that guy on the breakaway was awesome (if that’s the dunk you are talking about).