moytoy12

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That he is better than Thor?

Not much of a compliment.   If it is a compliment.

Thor clearly did not have a great experience with us.   I know very little about him.  Understand he has an older brother who is good and made the adjustment to better D1 basketball.  But from my little knowledge of Thor, he needed more time to adjust and get ready for D1/SLU and b/c of his illness, he actually got less time.   Then, the team was without perimeter shooters and everyone looked to him for help - and he wasn't ready.   Probably would have needed a year even without his illness.  

By comparison, we all love Jimerson, who was great in his 9 or 10 games and who would have had a great season for us, but I wonder how good he truly would have been had he come to SLU without his extra year at prep school. 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thor clearly did not have a great experience with us.   I know very little about him.  Understand he has an older brother who is good and made the adjustment to better D1 basketball.  But from my little knowledge of Thor, he needed more time to adjust and get ready for D1/SLU and b/c of his illness, he actually got less time.   Then, the team was without perimeter shooters and everyone looked to him for help - and he wasn't ready.   Probably would have needed a year even without his illness.  

By comparison, we all love Jimerson, who was great in his 9 or 10 games and who would have had a great season for us, but I wonder how good he truly would have been had he come to SLU without his extra year at prep school. 

I think Jimerson was participating in the summer program from the beginning and if I recall accurately, Thor did not.  I think getting on campus early is one of the best things a new player can do for himself.

Clock_Tower likes this

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Jimerson didn't do an extra year of prep school.  He did 3 years at two different high schools, led the Richmond, VA area in scoring, lit up the EYBL as a 180 shooter over the summer and then did his senior year of high school at Montverde.  He's been amazingly consistent as a scorer. 

BTW,  St. Christopher's, the school where Jimerson averaged 26 ppg as a junior was the same school that produced Richmond's Nick Sherod, another potent A10 scorer. Thor was more up and down as a high school player.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jimerson didn't do an extra year of prep school.  He did 3 years at two different high schools, led the Richmond, VA area in scoring, lit up the EYBL as a 180 shooter over the summer and then did his senior year of high school at Montverde.  He's been amazingly consistent as a scorer. 

BTW,  St. Christopher's, the school where Jimerson averaged 26 ppg as a junior was the same school that produced Richmond's Nick Sherod, another potent A10 scorer. Thor was more up and down as a high school player.

Wait a second. 6 years of high school?  How old is he?

5 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I took that as 2 different schools for Frosh thru Junior year and then his senior year at Montverde. And yeah, I do think he was kidding.

Prior to SLU
• Played at Montverde Academy in Florida his senior year.
• Led the Montverde Academy Center for Basketball Development (CBD) team in scoring and shooting percentage.
• Playing for Boo Williams on the AAU circuit, he was one of the top shooters in the EYBL, connecting on 48.8 percent (60-123) from the field and 46 percent (40-87) from the arc.
• He also ranked fourth on the circuit in offensive efficiency.
• Also prepped at St. Christopher's and Benedictine in Richmond, Virginia, before transferring to Montverde.
• Was among the leading scorers in the Richmond area as a junior, tallying 26.0 ppg at St. Christopher's.

23 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

What is 1.5FPG?

Fouls per game.

22 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

seems like he's just a higher level recruit than Thor? 

It's just hard to say with international recruits. My hope for Ingvi was that he was a similar player to his brother. Not necessarily A10 POY but similar in style. He was a decent looking player on video but ran into multiple roadblocks here and just left. Maybe he'd have panned out if he stayed, who knows. Lorentsson is a better shooter by any measure, even if Ingvi was also a willing gunner from anywhere. He's also taller. I don't know how to say if he's a higher level recruit or not, just that I think there's one known elite skill and more upside.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Fouls per game.

It's just hard to say with international recruits. My hope for Ingvi was that he was a similar player to his brother. Not necessarily A10 POY but similar in style. He was a decent looking player on video but ran into multiple roadblocks here and just left. Maybe he'd have panned out if he stayed, who knows. Lorentsson is a better shooter by any measure, even if Ingvi was also a willing gunner from anywhere. He's also taller. I don't know how to say if he's a higher level recruit or not, just that I think there's one known elite skill and more upside.

Lorentsson is also easily the best jumping Euro ever to commit to us.  He's not a bully baller but flight school will continue.

Clock_Tower likes this

16 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Lorentsson is also easily the best jumping Euro ever to commit to us.  He's not a bully baller but flight school will continue.

Looking back through our international players and not even just the Euros, this is still true. We've had a lot of low-to-the-ground teams over the years. Not anymore. I think we've had more dunks in individual games this past season than in entire seasons from the relatively recent past.

billikenbill likes this

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

Looking back through our international players and not even just the Euros, this is still true. We've had a lot of low-to-the-ground teams over the years. Not anymore. I think we've had more dunks in individual games this past season than in entire seasons from the relatively recent past.

I'm not just impressed with the numbers of dunks per game, but the number of diffent players who dunk in a game. 

In days gone by, how rare were dunks?  i recall thinking that if we had a dunk contest, I didn't think we had 2 guys who could do it.... and I wasn't sure  we had one. 

4 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I'm not just impressed with the numbers of dunks per game, but the number of diffent players who dunk in a game. 

In days gone by, how rare were dunks?  i recall thinking that if we had a dunk contest, I didn't think we had 2 guys who could do it.... and I wasn't sure  we had one. 

During the Soderberg era we got occasional dunks from Liddell and Justin Johnson. I suppose Ian and Husak occasionally dunked as well.

We has a fair number of dunks with Willie Reed and Jon Smith. The teams after that (2011-2014) rarely dunked, outside of Dwayne Evans and occasionally Rob Loe.

We've certainly never had a team where two guards (until Jacobs and Goodwin) dunked regularly 

1 hour ago, NH said:

During the Soderberg era we got occasional dunks from Liddell and Justin Johnson. I suppose Ian and Husak occasionally dunked as well.

We has a fair number of dunks with Willie Reed and Jon Smith. The teams after that (2011-2014) rarely dunked, outside of Dwayne Evans and occasionally Rob Loe.

We've certainly never had a team where two guards (until Jacobs and Goodwin) dunked regularly 

Are you forgetting Hargrove and French dunk regularly?

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Are you forgetting Hargrove and French dunk regularly?

Both are listed as Forwards. 

Coach Ford's first SLU team - Crawford, Roby, Agbeko, Johnson, Moore, Gillman, Welmer - was so earthbound it was laughable. I went to Senior night that season (March 1, 2017) and Crawford dunked at one point late in the game on a fast break. People lost it. 

3star_recruit likes this

16 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I don't know how to verify the stat, but I vividly remember that one of our teams in the mid 90s, perhaps 95-96, had 4 dunks.....FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON!!  That's obviously a stark contrast from the 4+ dunks that we were seeing sometimes PER HALF this year from the Bills.

6 hours ago, William Kenneth said:

I don't know how to verify the stat, but I vividly remember that one of our teams in the mid 90s, perhaps 95-96, had 4 dunks.....FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON!!  That's obviously a stark contrast from the 4+ dunks that we were seeing sometimes PER HALF this year from the Bills.

The 90s was the time I was thinking of. I think Spoon would have killed to have French or Bell.