Welcome Andre Lorentsson!

moytoy12

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I know it’s late (I’m restless and can’t sleep), I’m going to @Pistol but obviously anyone feel free to respond, when is the spring signing period for Andre to sign? Will all the Coronavirus stuff change those dates at all? Just wondering.

6 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Hey guys, I know it’s late (I’m restless and can’t sleep), I’m going to @Pistol but obviously anyone feel free to respond, when is the spring signing period for Andre to sign? Will all the Coronavirus stuff change those dates at all? Just wondering.

This is where we stand now. 

On Friday, March 13, 2020, the NCAA adopted emergency legislation to establish a temporary recruiting dead period for all NCAA Division I and II sports, effective immediately, and in effect until at least April 15, 2020. Accordingly, the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) has suspended all National Letter of Intent (NLI) signings until at least April 15, 2020. This suspension will be re-evaluated on or before April 15, 2020. The NLI suspension applies to both Division I and II NLI member institutions. As such, NLI’s cannot be issued to Division I and II prospective student-athletes effective March 16, 2020 through at least April 15, 2020. NLI’s issued and signed by prospective student-athletes before March 16, 2020 should still be managed through the normal validation process with the conference office.

So basically they're going to reevaluate on April 15th and my guess is it will be pushed back further at that time or even sooner.

CBFan and RiseAndGrind like this

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is where we stand now. 

On Friday, March 13, 2020, the NCAA adopted emergency legislation to establish a temporary recruiting dead period for all NCAA Division I and II sports, effective immediately, and in effect until at least April 15, 2020. Accordingly, the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) has suspended all National Letter of Intent (NLI) signings until at least April 15, 2020. This suspension will be re-evaluated on or before April 15, 2020. The NLI suspension applies to both Division I and II NLI member institutions. As such, NLI’s cannot be issued to Division I and II prospective student-athletes effective March 16, 2020 through at least April 15, 2020. NLI’s issued and signed by prospective student-athletes before March 16, 2020 should still be managed through the normal validation process with the conference office.

So basically they're going to reevaluate on April 15th and my guess is it will be pushed back further at that time or even sooner.

Thanks, as always, Pistol! Out of curiosity, how do these signing periods work? The NCAA/school don’t send out the actual forms for them to sign until the signing period opens? Hypothetically (and I fully understand this is probably an impossibly unlikely scenario), what would the punishment be if a kid got ahold 1 of the NLI forms (online I’m assuming), and just said, “F the signing period, I’m signing RIGHT NOW!” (I don’t know why this student-athlete would be so impatient to not wait until the signing period opens, but it’s meant to be hypothetical, not realistic). Would it just not be official until the period opens. Would the player receive a stern talking to from the NCAA? Would they have to endure a 24-hour “Gigli in IMAX” marathon? As I said before, I’m restless without sports lol.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:16 AM, WVBilliken said:

Lots of Blue Koolaid around here.  Me, always skeptical of foreign players until they get on campus.  SLU has had by far more busts than wins when it comes to foreign players.  Lorentssen did not have a particularly long list of suiters and this brings me pause .... he's a wait and see.

What are you talking about? Latimer, Vouyoukas, Izik, Ellis, Loe, Christian, Agbeko(?), Glaze, Ingvi I'd only say Salecich and Ingvi are the only players who transferred out due to PT. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

Thanks, as always, Pistol! Out of curiosity, how do these signing periods work? The NCAA/school don’t send out the actual forms for them to sign until the signing period opens? Hypothetically (and I fully understand this is probably an impossibly unlikely scenario), what would the punishment be if a kid got ahold 1 of the NLI forms (online I’m assuming), and just said, “F the signing period, I’m signing RIGHT NOW!” (I don’t know why this student-athlete would be so impatient to not wait until the signing period opens, but it’s meant to be hypothetical, not realistic). Would it just not be official until the period opens. Would the player receive a stern talking to from the NCAA? Would they have to endure a 24-hour “Gigli in IMAX” marathon? As I said before, I’m restless without sports lol.

Anyone can sign any piece of paper at any time. It doesn't mean anything if the governing body won't recognize it until a certain date. I have no idea what the NCAA would do if someone sent in their LOI early. Probably nothing? Maybe tell them they made a mistake? Right now, it would be faxed to an empty office, anyway. There's just no point.

Plus, players/schools/coaches like the signing ceremony and the official nature of it.

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What are you talking about? Latimer, Vouyoukas, Izik, Ellis, Loe, Christian, Agbeko(?), Glaze, Ingvi I'd only say Salecich and Ingvi are the only players who transferred out due to PT. 

Going backward, international players since 2000 have been: Diarra, Ingvi, Psimitis, Neufeld, Agbeko, Glaze, Loe, Ellis, Salecich, Vouyoukas, Ohanon, Latimer.

Ingvi, Neufeld, Glaze, Salecich, and Latimer left early (I think technically Psimitis did not play out his eligibility but he was a walk on). Fewer than half have left early (although too soon to say for sure with Diarra).

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Going backward, international players since 2000 have been: Diarra, Ingvi, Psimitis, Neufeld, Agbeko, Glaze, Loe, Ellis, Salecich, Vouyoukas, Ohanon, Latimer.

Ingvi, Neufeld, Glaze, Salecich, and Latimer left early (I think technically Psimitis did not play out his eligibility but he was a walk on). Fewer than half have left early (although too soon to say for sure with Diarra).

I would disqualify Glaze from the list of "busts". I could make a case for Neufeld transferring due to coaching change. Psmitis is a walk on. The other greek walk on.

37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyone can sign any piece of paper at any time. It doesn't mean anything if the governing body won't recognize it until a certain date. I have no idea what the NCAA would do if someone sent in their LOI early. Probably nothing? Maybe tell them they made a mistake? Right now, it would be faxed to an empty office, anyway. There's just no point.

Plus, players/schools/coaches like the signing ceremony and the official nature of it.

I figured as much. These are the things that run through my mind with no sports, but I appreciate you at least entertaining my silly hypothetical, Pistol! 🤣

Just now, Reinert310 said:

I figured as much. These are the things that run through my mind with no sports, but I appreciate you at least entertaining my silly hypothetical, Pistol! 🤣

But I was kinda hoping that if a recruit tried to sign outside outside of the signing period, the NCAA would at least force the recruit to rent Gigli once on Amazon Prime!

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Also, there is a sliding scale of what is meant by "international players" in terms of recruitment. Glaze played 3 of his 4 high school seasons in the US, all at different schools. So, even though he's from Canada, it's not like recruiters were taking a flier on him. Same for Agbeko who had played 2 years of high school ball followed by one at a prep school. Diarra and Neufeld both had one year at a US prep school to hone their skills and prove their ability and become more of a known quantity to recruiters domestically. Ingvi and Andre are obviously completely international.

Can't speak to the others, but it seems like bundling all "international" students together just doesn't really make any sense - some are much more known quantities than others. 

RUBillsFan and Pistol like this

31 minutes ago, Compton said:

Also, there is a sliding scale of what is meant by "international players" in terms of recruitment. Glaze played 3 of his 4 high school seasons in the US, all at different schools. So, even though he's from Canada, it's not like recruiters were taking a flier on him. Same for Agbeko who had played 2 years of high school ball followed by one at a prep school. Diarra and Neufeld both had one year at a US prep school to hone their skills and prove their ability and become more of a known quantity to recruiters domestically. Ingvi and Andre are obviously completely international.

Can't speak to the others, but it seems like bundling all "international" students together just doesn't really make any sense - some are much more known quantities than others. 

My whole point was that WVBilliken was labeling our foray into international recruiting to be littered with busts when our experience with international recruits has not been anywhere close to a failure.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would disqualify Glaze from the list of "busts". I could make a case for Neufeld transferring due to coaching change. Psmitis is a walk on. The other greek walk on.

Glaze has been more of a bust as a person post basketball than he was as a player.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Emmanuel Tselentakis? I didn't include him because he was here for one year and redshirted before transferring to NJIT to play out the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Glaze has been more of a bust as a person post basketball than he was as a player.

wow that's really sad because he was a horrible basketball player.

Bottom line for me is that I agree with @Compton and @billikenfan05 - Our success rate with international players isn't too bad when you look at the big picture, and then there's the issue of what constitutes an international recruit. Does he have to come straight from overseas? Born internationally? At what point is he considered a domestic recruit?

The DeSmet bigs, for example, will have played entire HS careers in the U.S. by the time they step on a college campus. They live with host families. Are they international recruits because they've only been here 4+ years by the time they're in college?

My guess is that @WVBilliken is mostly thinking about Ingvi, how he got here later than everyone else, fought nagging illness/injuries, didn't play much, and left early - and how Lorentsson is from more or less the same part of the world and showing up just two years later. I get the apprehension but I think there's less to worry about when you zoom out. The biggest hindrance to Lorentsson being on schedule is out of everyone's control right now and we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

A thing I've recently noticed about Ingvi's time here was that he built some stronger relationships with the other players that I wouldn't have imagined.  After he left he still interacts on IG with Goodwin, Jacobs, Isabell, KC, TJ, and Thatch.  That doesn't mean they are best friends or anything, but makes me think that he fit in well and got along with Team Blue.  He does seem like a big "what if" for the Bills just like Santos, Henriquez, and Graves

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Bottom line for me is that I agree with @Compton and @billikenfan05 - Our success rate with international players isn't too bad when you look at the big picture, and then there's the issue of what constitutes an international recruit. Does he have to come straight from overseas? Born internationally? At what point is he considered a domestic recruit?

The DeSmet bigs, for example, will have played entire HS careers in the U.S. by the time they step on a college campus. They live with host families. Are they international recruits because they've only been here 4+ years by the time they're in college?

My guess is that @WVBilliken is mostly thinking about Ingvi, how he got here later than everyone else, fought nagging illness/injuries, didn't play much, and left early - and how Lorentsson is from more or less the same part of the world and showing up just two years later. I get the apprehension but I think there's less to worry about when you zoom out. The biggest hindrance to Lorentsson being on schedule is out of everyone's control right now and we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

I'll roll the dice on 180 shooters all day.  I don't care what part of the world they came from.

slufanskip and Pistol like this

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'll roll the dice on 180 shooters all day.  I don't care what part of the world they came from.

Speaking of which, updating his slashline through 15 games this season (which is now on hold and likely done), he's at .553/.454/.850 - 1.857. Still a solid 180 shooter.

Full stats: 15 games, 25.8 MPG, 17.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.3 APG, 0.8 SPG, 0.1 BPG, 2.3 TPG, 1.5 FPG. Full shooting: 94-170 FG (.553), 44-97 3FG (.454), 34-40 FT (.850). He finished first in minutes, FGM, and rebounds (offensive, defensive, and total), and second in MPG, 2FG%, 3FG%, FTM, assists, scoring average, and total points. His team finished with just one loss, a 100-98 OT loss.

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Speaking of which, updating his slashline through 15 games this season (which is now on hold and likely done), he's at .553/.454/.850 - 1.857. Still a solid 180 shooter.

Full stats: 15 games, 25.8 MPG, 17.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.3 APG, 0.8 SPG, 0.1 BPG, 2.3 TPG, 1.5 FPG. Full shooting: 94-170 FG (.553), 44-97 3FG (.454), 34-40 FT (.850). He finished first in minutes, FGM, and rebounds (offensive, defensive, and total), and second in MPG, 2FG%, 3FG%, FTM, assists, scoring average, and total points. His team finished with just one loss, a 100-98 OT loss.

What is 1.5FPG?

50 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

A thing I've recently noticed about Ingvi's time here was that he built some stronger relationships with the other players that I wouldn't have imagined.  After he left he still interacts on IG with Goodwin, Jacobs, Isabell, KC, TJ, and Thatch.  That doesn't mean they are best friends or anything, but makes me think that he fit in well and got along with Team Blue.  He does seem like a big "what if" for the Bills just like Santos, Henriquez, and Graves

Think about how hard it must be for some (not all obviously) 18-19yo kids to come to a whole new country. Learn new customs, having to learn all new social norms...as an, at least, semi-awkward teenager. I mean, I’m trying to think about how I would’ve handled it, and I realize, I could barely handle my freshman year at SLU...and so grew up in St. Louis. I was smart enough academically, but I wasn’t smart enough to not make A LOT of really bad decisions. Throw in trying to juggle being a D1 basketball player, going to class, hanging out with girls, your brother is in the middle winning A10 player of the year...I mean maybe it all gets to be too much sometimes...and can you really blame him? It’s gotta be tough, and incredibly lonely sometimes. It is what it is.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

seems like he's just a higher level recruit than Thor? 

Dr. Holly Hills likes this