GDT: Beat the ... Well it's just really Daly

cgeldmacher

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

He may not know. You know sometimes players think they are working hard but actually aren't. I suggest you attend the banquet after the seasons over and inform Has of his shortcomings. 

In the pre-game warm ups I watched French hit six free throws in a row.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

no way, crowd was actually better than I expected for late Wednesday game against a last place team. ESPN is now saying 8k which still doesnt seem right. 

The official box score shows 5,096 and I can't argue with that. Looked about half full (or half empty) to me. Hardly any kids there. The usual stampede down the steps for the ball toss and t-shirt throws were missing from my upper bowl section last night. No way in hell was it 8k either.

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

The official box score shows 5,096 and I can't argue with that. Looked about half full (or half empty) to me. Hardly any kids there. The usual stampede down the steps for the ball toss and t-shirt throws were missing from my upper bowl section last night. No way in hell was it 8k either.

ya i realized after when comparing to other games

1 hour ago, Speyburn said:

In the pre-game warm ups I watched French hit six free throws in a row.

I watched him at Davidson during warmups. He swished 9 in a row before missing. It's a mental thing during games, and, man, some of those misses are just down right Fugly. He needs to see a shrink after the season. It was clear last night that St. Joe's was out to foul him just about every time he touched the ball down low. And why not? 

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

No, when we played High Point back in November we only had 4624. I am sure if I went back we could find lower ones.

Actually year to year average attendance is trending upwards. This season league play attendance has not been bad. Avg attendance has been 7384. I guess that comes close to 70%. Looks good on TV. With the OOC games its been 6739.

Thanks.  I believe the average attendance is on an upward trend.  You really have to give the athletic department credit on making efforts to get fans out to the games (e.g. promotions).  The amount of student promotion SLU does blows away anything that I ever saw at GW.

It is probably somewhat of a concern that our season ticket base is down to about 4600 at most.  But honestly, here, I have no idea how peer institutions are doing on this front.

i was watching french pre-game shooting free throws.   

1.  he is somehow obsessed with spinning the ball off his release   he basically is shooting the entire shot with a flick of the wrist with exagerated spin.   no legs at all.

2. During the game, he continually adjusted his feet position.  one time they would be even, the next time, left foot slightly forward, the next time even but wider spread.   

my point is, i am not convinced this is in his head.   he still doesnt know how to shoot imo.   someone needs to spend the summer day by day breaking the shot down completely and rebuilding the shot.   there is no reason he isnt a 60% free throw shooter.

SLU_Nick and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Attendance is very important to the school.  Watching the game on TV is not nothing to them but they would rather have you at the game buying concessions, paying for parking and even paying $5 for the tix is better.

Of course parking fees and concessions are very important.

I don't know about that it is totally true, part of the 5 tix is to give the full-look on TV. Why do you think they play an advertisement on TV? Also recruiting, when we played UD looks liked the student section was having a good time on TV. You don't think a perspective recruit or just students think "I want to be part of that".

When I played HS Ball back in the 'dark ages', late 1960s back East. We had this game among us players on who could pick up the college game the farthest away on the AM radio. SLU games came in very clear on KMOX. Never heard of the school other than that. When it came to my senior year of HS I decided to give them a look and ended up spending 5 years getting bachelors and a masters 😊  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was watching french pre-game shooting free throws.   

1.  he is somehow obsessed with spinning the ball off his release   he basically is shooting the entire shot with a flick of the wrist with exagerated spin.   no legs at all.

2. During the game, he continually adjusted his feet position.  one time they would be even, the next time, left foot slightly forward, the next time even but wider spread.   

my point is, i am not convinced this is in his head.   he still doesnt know how to shoot imo.   someone needs to spend the summer day by day breaking the shot down completely and rebuilding the shot.   there is no reason he isnt a 60% free throw shooter.

Contrast it with Perkins' approach, which is very deliberate.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Attendance is very important to the school.  Watching the game on TV is not nothing to them but they would rather have you at the game buying concessions, paying for parking and even paying $5 for the tix is better.

I think SLU could do a ton better in marketing for games.  I don’t think they make filling the place a priority.

25 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Thanks.  I believe the average attendance is on an upward trend.  You really have to give the athletic department credit on making efforts to get fans out to the games (e.g. promotions).  The amount of student promotion SLU does blows away anything that I ever saw at GW.

It is probably somewhat of a concern that our season ticket base is down to about 4600 at most.  But honestly, here, I have no idea how peer institutions are doing on this front.

image.png.9ab9f173cb2b0238b2010ccf04ec6375.png

We had some very small CBI tourney crowds that aren't on this list.  Our average attendance this season trails last season by about 150. 

54 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I think SLU could do a ton better in marketing for games.  I don’t think they make filling the place a priority.

You may be right but last night's game was a tough sell - bad team a late game start.  When SLU does a good marketing job for a game there are lots of kids at the game but the late start stopped that from happening.  

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I don't know about that it is totally true, part of the 5 tix is to give the full-look on TV. Why do you think they play an advertisement on TV? Also recruiting, when we played UD looks liked the student section was having a good time on TV. You don't think a perspective recruit or just students think "I want to be part of that".

When I played HS Ball back in the 'dark ages', late 1960s back East. We had this game among us players on who could pick up the college game the farthest away on the AM radio. SLU games came in very clear on KMOX. Never heard of the school other than that. When it came to my senior year of HS I decided to give them a look and ended up spending 5 years getting bachelors and a masters 😊  

The UD game was not a $5 tix game.  Not sure about VCU.  The key is that you make up the lost tix revenue price on the concessions and such.  There is benefit from being on TV but the problem is it is not an immediate money collection. I do agree that lots of things go into why athletics are important to a school.

12 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Beating a dead horse but French legitimately is not giving his all when it comes to solving free throw woes. Year 3.... no excuses to be 50%. Does he not know he would be a top billiken ppg leader if he made the league average? Nevermind how much less he would get fouled going for a basket 

BEATINGADEADHORSE would be a good Billiken.com name for you to use after you get thrown off the board again.

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

After tonight, Yuri is 14 assists away from having the most assists in a season by a Billiken in 30 years.

He could get those in one really good game (just keep passing the ball to Javonte), but more likely will get there at home against the Bonnies.  While he still gets out of control once or twice a game, he had a few great assists last night to JG and to TJH Jr and probably a few others to Perkins.  He is doing a superior job as a PG for a FR, but I wish he would take a couple of outside shots each game to free up his occasional drives to the basket.  Maybe that will come in the next year or two as he develops his game even more than it is now.

14 hours ago, Littlebill said:

ESPN app lists attendance at 5,096. I knew there weren’t many people there, but surely it wasn’t more than half empty right?

That is probably about right.  Also a poor turnout by the students-what else do they have to do on a Wednesday night?  I thought after the great turnout and enthusiasm from the VCU game, it would have a carry over for the student section , but it wasn't even close to half filled.  There is a hardcore group that is always there and active just not nearly enough.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

That is probably about right.  Also a poor turnout by the students-what else do they have to do on a Wednesday night?  I thought after the great turnout and enthusiasm from the VCU game, it would have a carry over for the student section , but it wasn't even close to half filled.  There is a hardcore group that is always there and active just not nearly enough.

Not penny pitchers (rip)

39 minutes ago, bauman said:

The crowd didnt look bad given the circumstances , it was the lack of students. 

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Concessions are outrageous.  I buy very little now because of the price.  It’s as bad as Busch stadium.  I have decent to good seats.  The 3seats cost me roughly $75 a game.  Then parking is around $10.  If everyone gets a soda/beer and something else like popcorn it’s another $40 or $50.  So I could easily be around $200 a game to attend for 3 people.  That’s starting to get up there.  I know a lot of you guys spend a lot more than that.  So we do almost no concessions to try to control the cost.  I just tell the kids we’ll get ice cream on the way home. 

Billiken Rich likes this