GDT: Beat the ... Well it's just really Daly

cgeldmacher

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at the stats of the prior game we played against St. J and the game we played against VCU. I fully agree these were two very different opponents each one with its own issues to deal with. We won the first game against St. J by 5 pts, and we won the game against VCU (statistically a harder opponent than St. J) by 18 pts. One of the facts that caught my eye was the reversal in minutes played in the two games by Hargrove and Weaver, and the results they obtained. Look at the table below

St. J     Minutes played     Points made     Rebounds     TO              VCU      Minutes played     Points made     Rebounds     TO

Hargrove                            5                              0                        0                0                                       25                          11                        4             0 

Weaver                             20                              3                        1                0                                         8                             0                        0             0

The amount of time Hargrove and Weaver played in the first game against St. J  games was essentially switched around in the game against VCU. Weaver did not achieve much against St. J in his 20 minutes of play, and did nothing (pts, rebs, TOs) in his 8 minutes of play against VCU. Hargrove did nothing in his first game against St. J but achieved a fair amount in his game against VCU. I know this proves nothing but I hope to see TJ playing a lot tonight against St. J.

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I was just looking at the stats of the prior game we played against St. J and the game we played against VCU. I fully agree these were two very different opponents each one with its own issues to deal with. We won the first game against St. J by 5 pts, and we won the game against VCU (statistically a harder opponent than St. J) by 18 pts. One of the facts that caught my eye was the reversal in minutes played in the two games by Hargrove and Weaver, and the results they obtained. Look at the table below

St. J     Minutes played     Points made     Rebounds     TO              VCU      Minutes played     Points made     Rebounds     TO

Hargrove                            5                              0                        0                0                                       25                          11                        4             0 

Weaver                             20                              3                        1                0                                         8                             0                        0             0

The amount of time Hargrove and Weaver played in the first game against St. J  games was essentially switched around in the game against VCU. Weaver did not achieve much against St. J in his 20 minutes of play, and did nothing (pts, rebs, TOs) in his 8 minutes of play against VCU. Hargrove did nothing in his first game against St. J but achieved a fair amount in his game against VCU. I know this proves nothing but I hope to see TJ playing a lot tonight against St. J.

-this part I agree with, the last time against St Joes HAS and JGood had bad games, if they do this again and Daly goes nuts it might not matter who gets those other minutes

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

How many points did each give up on D in these two games. 

Last game Daly shot 60% from 2, 46% from 3, and 100% from the FT line.

His season averages are 47% from 2, 33% from 3, and 75% from the FT line.

Need some combination of better D on him and Daly not being ridiculously hot and we should be ok.

Daly isn't really some unstoppable offensive force, he just plays a ton of minutes (34.2 per game) and shoots a ton (nearly 33% of the shots while he's out there which makes sense because he is by far St Joes best offensive option).  Those things combined mean he's going to score a bunch,  but he isn't usually very efficient in doing so.

45 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Last game Daly shot 60% from 2, 46% from 3, and 100% from the FT line.

His season averages are 47% from 2, 33% from 3, and 75% from the FT line.

Need some combination of better D on him and Daly not being ridiculously hot and we should be ok.

Daly isn't really some unstoppable offensive force, he just plays a ton of minutes (34.2 per game) and shoots a ton (nearly 33% of the shots while he's out there which makes sense because he is by far St Joes best offensive option).  Those things combined mean he's going to score a bunch,  but he isn't usually very efficient in doing so.

In the first meeting, Hasahn played the best one on one defense against Daly. 

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Two straight 20 win seasons is an accomplishment that should not be overlooked.  Here's to hoping we're celebrating that tonight.

I agree but they need 2 more D1 wins to accomplish 20 D1wins and a winning conference season.

Those milestones for a team that lost their best shooter scoring 10 a game and one of the best defenders is quite an accomplishment.