wgstl

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I think thetorch meant he is a basketball referee

That's how it appears, but I question that.  I don't pay any attention to Guy Phillips's radio work; has he had time away from that work schedule and his PA schedule to put time in officiating high-school games, or something?

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's how it appears, but I question that.  I don't pay any attention to Guy Phillips's radio work; has he had time away from that work schedule and his PA schedule to put time in officiating high-school games, or something?

I've found some info on Phillips that show that he officiates weddings, but I haven't found anything that suggests he has ever officiated basketball games.

1 hour ago, FromDaEastSide said:

If Gus officiates basketball games, I want to find his schedule and attend one of those games. What an experience that would be!! It could be a Billikens.com field trip!!

That would be awesome.

I imagine Torch means he is a CYC referee. Hell I ref those and usually have a few Gin and Tonics before the games. Even Gus could pull that off.

Could you imagine 20 MBMs showing up at a 4th grade CYC basketball game to heckle the official. That would be great.

Just gotta look for a gus who looks like this.

funny-sports-football-referee-umpire-iso

FromDaEastSide likes this

2 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

If Gus officiates basketball games, I want to find his schedule and attend one of those games. What an experience that would be!! It could be a Billikens.com field trip!!

Whistle blows. Gus calls traveling … oops correction walking … oops correction double dribble

13 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Interesting no one has mentioned the refs in last night’s game. Twice my son and I said ‘Good no foul call’ , one of those the flop by SS. We were waiting for the typical A10 second half foul circus, but it never materialized.

I thought a couple of times Yuri driving to the basket was like a FB crashing through the line in a football game, but otherwise seemed to be called fairly. 
Stu said the T was on the coach, box score said Evans. Is a flagrant foul automatically classified as a T?

mhg

I think when our team is allowed to actually play a tough, physical game, then we can beat anyone in the conference.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So, is Ironbills Guy Phillips?  We know that Phillips, at very least, reads the board (since he knew the Billikens.com username [@moytoy12] of one of his Twitter followers), and now Ironbills is reacting, "bad post," to posts that poke fun at Guy.

Moytoy is his name on Twitter. He doesn’t care enough about SLU basketball to read this board

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

On 2/22/2020 at 12:43 AM, NoCoBillsFan said:

This game made me even more optimistic for next season... Yuri with 12 assists, Perkins making it look easy with 25 points, Bell and Hargrove looking good. Then of course Goodwin and French had strong performances as well. These guys plus a healthy Jimerson and Thatch? The A-10 better be ready next year because we're coming in hot. 

Tay Weaver and Jacobs have both had their moments this year, though not enough and not good enough, to make many teams change their game plans and not pack the lane. 

Add not only Jimerson but also incremental improvements by Goodwin , Jacobs, Perkins and Yuri from the perimeter and I like our chances next year. Yuri though needs to score 8 to 10 ppg if he plays 30+ mpg .

And as good as Perkins has been, bc he has been better from 2 pt vs 3 pt, packing the lane works best against him too.  When we play Lasalle and VCU, and most of our OOC (yes, we had Jimerson early but he really turned it on after a few games) teams did not pack the lane.

Conference teams know us from last year, scout us, game plan us - and most pack the lane and dare us to beat them from the perimeter for all 40 minutes. Yuri and Goodwin making their first 3 pointers mean nothing to their game plan. And what makes things worse, is that we lose to low skilled/bad teams bc they pack the lane as A10 officials do their part by calling tight games. 

Not only will Jimerson will help next year as teams cannot guard the perimeter, shut down Perkins and double French/pack the lane all at the same time. And this year, if Perkins keeps up nearly 20 ppg and if Yuri can add 8 ppg, then teams will lose if they pack the lane and double French - assuming Jacobs and Weaver do not disappear, assuming Bell has his normal game and assuming Goodwin continues to play his game and lead us to postseason - but our margin for error is slim. Throw in bad FT shooting and foul trouble and no wonder our record is what it is. 

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Tay Weaver and Jacobs have both had their moments this year, though not enough and not good enough, to make many teams change their game plans and not pack the lane. 

Add not only Jimerson but also incremental improvements by Goodwin , Jacobs, Perkins and Yuri from the perimeter and I like our chances next year. Yuri though needs to score 8 to 10 ppg if he plays 30+ mpg .

And as good as Perkins has been, bc he has been better from 2 pt vs 3 pt, packing the lane works best against him too.  When we play Lasalle and VCU, and most of our OOC (yes, we had Jimerson early but he really turned it on after a few games) teams did not pack the lane.

Conference teams know us from last year, scout us, game plan us - and most pack the lane and dare us to beat them from the perimeter for all 40 minutes. Yuri and Goodwin making their first 3 pointers mean nothing to their game plan. And what makes things worse, is that we lose to low skilled/bad teams bc they pack the lane as A10 officials do their part by calling tight games. 

Not only will Jimerson will help next year as teams cannot guard the perimeter, shut down Perkins and double French/pack the lane all at the same time. And this year, if Perkins keeps up nearly 20 ppg and if Yuri can add 8 ppg, then teams will lose if they pack the lane and double French - assuming Jacobs and Weaver do not disappear, assuming Bell has his normal game and assuming Goodwin continues to play his game and lead us to postseason - but our margin for error is slim. Throw in bad FT shooting and foul trouble and no wonder our record is what it is. 

Ya know, I was watching Hankton warming up Friday.  He was hitting most of his three pointers.  It's too bad he has been injured and when he has played, being put into the paint.  Given enough reps, he could be an nice stretch player.  He has played 182 minutes in his SLU career and taken 55 shots, total.  His sample sizes are not even small.  No one knows what his future here is, but there is some talent there.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ya know, I was watching Hankton warming up Friday.  He was hitting most of his three pointers.  It's too bad he has been injured and when he has played, being put into the paint.  Given enough reps, he could be an nice stretch player.  He has played 182 minutes in his SLU career and taken 55 shots, total.  His sample sizes are not even small.  No one knows what his future here is, but there is some talent there.

Hankton has shown no ability to be a stretch 4. Give it up. 

AGB91 likes this

VCU game made it fun being a Billiken fan!  Crowd of over 9000, great student body turnout and enthusiasm,  probably 10 dunks including Hargrove's amazing two-handed slam, great halftime show honoring woman's A10 repeat soccer champs and basketball alumni.  For all the naysayers (myself included), maybe the AD and University President aren't doing such a bad job

Guy is pretty old.  I doubt he has reffed in quite a while.

He reffed a game I played in Jr High and one in HS.  My view from the bench should have afforded me a good view of his skills but I don't remember the game.  Those were 25+ years ago.  I started when I was 18.  I never reffed with him but he reffed a tournament I did also when I was maybe 20, more than 20 years ago.  He reffed high level HS hoops and for quite some time.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Wow.  Glad you aren't a decision maker for the Bills.  Giving a 20 year old a legitimate chance isn't important to you.

Hoosier.  Believe it or not, Travis does not consult with me on lineups.  Relax.

But are you suggesting that Ford is unfairly not giving a chance to Hankton?  Do you have anything other your pregame observations to back up your thoughts?  Didn’t think so.

57 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Virginia won the national championship last year with a point guard averaging about five points a game. What matters is your average margin of victory. When you're beating people by 10+ it doesn't matter what any single person is averaging.  If we play slightly better defense next year, cut down on our turnovers and add jimmerson and thatch, we should cross that 10 point threshold.

Crewsorlose likes this

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Virginia won the national championship last year with a point guard averaging about five points a game. What matters is your average margin of victory. When you're beating people by 10+ it doesn't matter what any single person is averaging.  If we play slightly better defense next year, cut down on our turnovers and add jimmerson and thatch, we should cross that 10 point threshold.

Yes. We are not Virginia.  Unusual situation. We already have too many one dimensional guys. Now if Bell, French and Goodwin improve their games, become perimeter players and each take 5+ shots per game shoot 40% + , then we can get by with Yuri not scoring. 

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. We are not Virginia.  Unusual situation. We already have too many one dimensional guys. Now if Bell, French and Goodwin improve their games, become perimeter players and each take 5+ shots per game shoot 40% + , then we can get by with Yuri not scoring. 

We're already averaging 71 ppg.  Simply cutting down on turnovers and adding Jimerson can get us to 74.  We're allowing 66 ppg.  Simply adding Thatch can get us to 64.  Voila, average margin of victory is double digits.

Crewsorlose likes this

51 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Too much pressure on the other 4 players. What’s wrong with Yuri carrying his own weight and us scoring 79 ppg?  Then, if French or Goodwin have an off game, we are not left with a loss

What pressure? Our defense is erratic and not up to Billiken standards, as you would expect with so many first-time D-1 players.  I expect a return to form next season.  Sophomore Yuri will have healthier thumbs and be more aware of how D-1 defenses bait him into turnovers.  The rest is just adding back pieces we already have.  

Goodwin, French, Perkins and Jimerson all averaging double figures plus the best bench in the conference gives us more margin for error than any team in the A-10.