GDT: Beat VCU

wgstl

18 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Stu said the T was on the coach, box score said Evans. Is a flagrant foul automatically classified as a T?

mhg

I was curious about that as well but after watching the broadcast it was Flagrant One on Evans for the foul against TJ then a Class A Technical on Evans for something after the play. Only knew about the T cause of Stu and Carter. Our dic* PA, Gus only announced the free throws for TJ, with no mention of the T.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I was curious about that as well but after watching the broadcast it was Flagrant One on Evans for the foul against TJ then a Class A Technical on Evans for something after the play. Only knew about the T cause of Stu and Carter. Our dic* PA, Gus only announced the free throws for TJ, with no mention of the T.

It was announced at the game.  That is how I picked up it was a T on VCU for something else.  Haven't read the article yet.

Santos-Silva left the first half with his second foul at the 8:30 mark and the score tied 19-19. The next 21 minutes is about as good as basketball a team can play. The numbers until 7:30 left in the game are:

FGs - 28-38 - 73.7%

3 pt. - 3-5 - 60%

FT - 8-16 - 50%

Turnovers - 7 - 19.4%

So, we shot the ball great, focused on getting 2 pt. baskets against their press, did OK with turnovers, and scored 53 points during that stretch for a pts./possession of 1.47. It was a terrific stretch of basketball, and the passing/ball movement was great as well.

Let's get 4 more and take our chances in Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The list is pretty long....started with relatively current alums like Crawford and Welmer, continued through Eckerle, Highmark, Liddell, Q Dillard, Pedersen, Jeff and Stan Luechtefeld, then on through Lenard, Gray, Douglass, Wiley, Rogers and more from the 1970's an 1960's.  They ended with a player, which I am embarrassed to say I missed his name, who is 97 years old and fought in WWII.  Joanne, long time assistant to the Staff was there too.  I didn't count, but there were maybe 50 former Billikens honored.

Please, others who were there, add to the list.

Thanks, wished I could have seen those guys.  Especially those 60s and 70s players.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two HoosierPal game balls

1) Collins for 12 assists and only 5 TO.

2) AD May for the wonderful half time with all the old stars.

I would have given a third to the coaching staff for great game prep, but that last 5 minute slow down didn't work.

The last 5 min of slow down worked just like it was supposed to. We preserved a big lead and an 18 point win

19 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Search "Saint Louis" or "VCU" under ESPN+, it will show up, I just watched it.

Found it but I only have the ESPN plus acct... seemed like since it was on ESPNu it required logging in through a provider. Did you watch with just ESPN+ ??

The initial foul on Evans was announced. The media timeout occurred, band was playing and the next announcement by Gus was after TJ had the ball announcing he was shooting two free throws. Perkins was not announced as shooting or the reason why, that is my complaint. 

dlarry and GoSluBills like this

59 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

The initial foul on Evans was announced. The media timeout occurred, band was playing and the next announcement by Gus was after TJ had the ball announcing he was shooting two free throws. Perkins was not announced as shooting or the reason why, that is my complaint. (Also, a PA talking when a free throw shooter has the ball at the line.)

Guy's lack of knowledge is astounding for someone who has been a basketball referee for most of his adult life.  He also announced Dwayne Evans as Dwight, I think just to be a dick.

24 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Guy's lack of knowledge is astounding for someone who has been a basketball referee for most of his adult life.  He also announced Dwayne Evans as Dwight, I think just to be a dick.

Where is he a basketball referee? This is news to me.

22 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Great 1st Half, and the SLU lineup on the floor during the big run:

PG- Collins, SG- Goodwin, SF- Perkins, PF- Hargrove, C- French.  It only took 27 games.

Get it, got it, Good!

That was a mistake, Bay. Good post. 

22 hours ago, slu72 said:

Ok, we've had big leads before. Let them play, Travis! Release the hounds. 

And this was a bad post why, 05? 

58 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Where is he a basketball referee? This is news to me.

The official scorekeeper (which Phillips is not) is considered an official, though not on the floor making calls.  Maybe Torch is extending that to the public address announcer; I'm not sure what he means.  I don't think that Phillips has primarily done any profession other than radio (buy I really don't know).  I guess he means Phillips should know more about hoops because of longevity as a PA guy (pun intended), but that would imply that he cares and isn't arrogant.