Thatch to Redshirt in 2019 - 2020 Season

crymdg2

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Dennis.   Please post the wild speculations and dire consequences you referring to.  None by me.

• Members
  •  
  • 1,516 posts
  •  

Taj, Fred’s chromosomal abnormality/mutation is not something one “recovers” from. It always will exist. Sometimes there is a course of treatment with androsterone/steroidal cocktail that can help manage the more significant episodes, but I haven’t seen any national/world class athletes who regained full athletic capacity at an original level after having episodes that shut them down completely.

Is Fred competing at 70% worth a scholarship, if in the future it will put his health at significant risk? One class of this genetic medical condition involves significant cardiopulmonary degradation and shortening of lifespan. We have seen SLU seek the medical redshirt for him, but without any well published medial prognosis, the MDs still don’t have a 95% CL swag on greenlighting him next year. 

THIS IS COPIED FROM SHELTIEDAVES POST,  CARDIOPULMONARY DEGRADATION SOUNDS DIRE TO ME

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you say the chances are that Fred Thatch's calves are keeping him from absolutely crushing ass this semester?  50/50?

I'm guessing no chance.  The fact that his calves aren't 100% is probably the only reason that there's not all kinds of SLU chicks torqued in half like they went through an old log splitter.

Fred Thatch.  Please recover 100%.  Just make sure to take it easy on the broads off the court as you start to hammer the boards again on it.  And drink plenty of water after any basketball practice or fuok sesh.  Can't be too careful.

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:
  • Members
  •  
  • 1,516 posts
  •  

Taj, Fred’s chromosomal abnormality/mutation is not something one “recovers” from. It always will exist. Sometimes there is a course of treatment with androsterone/steroidal cocktail that can help manage the more significant episodes, but I haven’t seen any national/world class athletes who regained full athletic capacity at an original level after having episodes that shut them down completely.

Is Fred competing at 70% worth a scholarship, if in the future it will put his health at significant risk? One class of this genetic medical condition involves significant cardiopulmonary degradation and shortening of lifespan. We have seen SLU seek the medical redshirt for him, but without any well published medial prognosis, the MDs still don’t have a 95% CL swag on greenlighting him next year. 

THIS IS COPIED FROM SHELTIEDAVES POST,  CARDIOPULMONARY DEGRADATION SOUNDS DIRE TO ME

Dennis, would you say that Fred’s doctors followed some form of the IBAT model, that is Identify, Bound, Assess, and Treat a condition/illness/disease?

Would you say that part of the Bound/Assess process would include diagnosing his condition within a certain class?

Would you then say that after properly diagnosing Fred, they would then clearly communicate the bounding findings, the initial assessment, the status of the histology process, and the recommended initial treatment regime?

I was not forecasting Fred’s medical future, nor was I throwing out spurious dire warnings. I was communicating to Taj that this is a very serious medical condition, with multiple classes of severity, and that Fred and the school should not rush his diagnosis and treatment.
And yes, five months into this assessment most often is less than half the time to do a full histology work up of his mitochondrial DNA, would you not say, Dennis?

8 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Dennis, would you say that Fred’s doctors followed some form of the IBAT model, that is Identify, Bound, Assess, and Treat a condition/illness/disease?

Would you say that part of the Bound/Assess process would include diagnosing his condition within a certain class?

Would you then say that after properly diagnosing Fred, they would then clearly communicate the bounding findings, the initial assessment, the status of the histology process, and the recommended initial treatment regime?

I was not forecasting Fred’s medical future, nor was I throwing out spurious dire warnings. I was communicating to Taj that this is a very serious medical condition, with multiple classes of severity, and that Fred and the school should not rush his diagnosis and treatment.
And yes, five months into this assessment most often is less than half the time to do a full histology work up of his mitochondrial DNA, would you not say, Dennis?

You need to shut up and stop trying to impress us with your supposed medical knowledge..you would have thought that after you made a fool of yourself regarding Jimmy Bell, you would have learned something... obviously that’s not the case...

4 hours ago, Billiken3 said:

I am astonished people have this much time on their hands to “read up” on a genetic disorder and apply it to a current athlete. If our athletes read this board, then why would you forecast their future. If you want to say Jimmy Bell is going to be a stud when he is a Senior, fine. But to project someone’s medical future is just irresponsible.  

I graduated from med school 1971, Internal Medicine training, research at Harvard. Rest of my working life in insurance analyzing death and disability patterns. Retired 2015, that is 44 years of research and training in the field. I do not need to research a whole lot except to send information, at a level you should understand, to all of you. Bug off please.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I graduated from med school 1971, Internal Medicine training, research at Harvard. Rest of my working life in insurance analyzing death and disability patterns. Retired 2015, that is 44 years of research and training in the field. I do not need to research a whole lot except to send information, at a level you should understand, to all of you. Bug off please.

OKimage.thumb.jpeg.c3aa3559c87fae1f6dd2d70968b9ec40.jpeg

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Enjoy your posts. Ignore the snowflakes.  They have nothing of substance to say anyway. And if others don’t, very simple: stop reading.  

5 hours ago, dennis_w said:
  • Members
  •  
  • 1,516 posts
  •  

Are you sure these comments are wild speculation?  And the only dire consequences appears to occur if one shrugs off this permanent, progressive disease as something one simply and fully recovers from next year. 

8 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Enjoy your posts. Ignore the snowflakes.  They have nothing of substance to say anyway. And if others don’t, very simple: stop reading.  

That is what I normally do, the list is long believe me. In this case this kid/guy has only 4 posts, so I do not want to be premature.

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

sadly with all of your degrees, you never learned about compassion and decency....do you really think Fred or his family wants you speculating on his medical future???? you have no idea of the severity of Fred's illness nor how he will respond to treatment...some might want to speculate about your impending cognitive abilities because of your advanced age....but then that wouldn't be proper, right??? now how about you bugging off....

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

This thread is getting up there for worst in billikens.com history

Agree. Why the snowflakes need to take shots at one of our better and more respected posters is beyond me. Wait I do know:  attention

This seems like a good place to point out that the fear of medical terminology is called logophobia. The fear of reading medical terminology is called bibliophobia.  Those of you suffering from these fears may also experience the fear of medical procedures called tomophobia.

My suggestion is to take a deep breath, confront your fears, seek therapy if needed, and enjoy the posts which discuss medical issues. The only thing to fear is fear itself.