Thatch to Redshirt in 2019 - 2020 Season

crymdg2

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Along with Goodwin and French, that would be four all-conference players on the same team.  Are you drunk on Kool-Aid?  Definitely.  But it's still a good time to be a Billiken fan.

And we're completely leaving out the teams best scorer in Perkins. Crazy. Doubt he's coming off the bench next year.  

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, hmart23 said:

And we're completely leaving out the teams best scorer in Perkins. Crazy. Doubt he's coming off the bench next year.  

And if you're gonna lead the nation in 3's you deserve to also be on the list, so also add Jimerson. 

10 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Maybe I'm drunk on Koolaid, but I don't have a doubt in my mind that next year both will be vying for spots on 2nd team All-A10, at least.

You're definitely drinking the kool-aid.  Collins is a stretch, and Bell will never contribute at that level.

I like them both, and Collins might reach those heights by his senior year, but Bell isn't mean or athletic enough.  Not quite a stiff, but pretty close.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

6 hours ago, jimbofive said:

You're definitely drinking the kool-aid.  Collins is a stretch, and Bell will never contribute at that level.

I like them both, and Collins might reach those heights by his senior year, but Bell isn't mean or athletic enough.  Not quite a stiff, but pretty close.

You're off base with Bell. Right that he won't be 2nd team next year and if by some crazy chance he is and everyone else stays generally healthy..… we're in the final 4 !00%

However he isn't a stiff or even close. I'd wager right now he averages 13/8 by his Sr season if he stays healthy. 

Clock_Tower likes this

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You're off base with Bell. Right that he won't be 2nd team next year and if by some crazy chance he is and everyone else stays generally healthy..… we're in the final 4 !00%

However he isn't a stiff or even close. I'd wager right now he averages 13/8 by his Sr season if he stays healthy. 

THE LOCOMOTIVE is no stiff and he will only get better. he will be a force in the paint 

7 hours ago, jimbofive said:

These are interesting takes considering he's ahead of Ian Vouyoukas at this stage of development, a Billiken great with similar limitations.

Ian had his Conklin summer after his freshman year, playing for Greece’s national team, running his ass off and developing enormously. He said he played three games a day, plus practices and scrimmages, ever day they didn’t play a national game.

Look at the game stats. Ian went from 10.5 mpg to 24 mpg. Bell would be great if he could make a similar jump, 8 ppg and 5 rpg.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Ian had his Conklin summer after his freshman year, playing for Greece’s national team, running his ass off and developing enormously. He said he played three games a day, plus practices and scrimmages, ever day they didn’t play a national game.

Look at the game stats. Ian went from 2 mpg to 24 mpg. Bell would be great if he could make a similar jump, 8 ppg and 5 rpg.

Ian played 10.5 mpg his freshman year.   I agree that it would be great if Bell could make a similar jump but I don't think it's in the cards. To get to 8 ppg, he would have to get at least 6 shots a game.  With a rotation that includes Goodwin, French, Perkins, Jimerson, Jacobs, Thatch, Collins, whatever power forward we sign in the spring, and Hargrove, I don't think there's 6 shots available.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, RiseAndGrind said:

I guess it is rooted in my belief that this team is exactly two players away from being really really (Sweet 16 level) good. A dead eye shooter and lock down defender. SLU just so happens to have the necessary dudes locked and loaded just waiting in the wings. I don't think there will be many teams that will be able to match SLU's talent next year. I am not an A10 expert but I do follow it pretty closely. the league should be really strong but I think SLU will be the most talented. Plus, I have a feeling we will be getting an additional big that will help French and Bell. 

I wish I could frame this post.  When’s the last A10 team that had three (3) all conference players on the same team?  Anything less than French, Good, and Perkins here is robbery.

1 hour ago, Fraz42 said:

I wish I could frame this post.  When’s the last A10 team that had three (3) all conference players on the same team?  Anything less than French, Good, and Perkins here is robbery.

Just look at the comments on 2019-2020 team and player predictions.  Many are kind of funny reading four months later.  Anyway though, put me in the camp that says Bell develops into a very solid player.  And way before his senior year.  His progress this season has been stellar.  An off season of practice, weights/fitness, and work on a tougher attitude will do wonders.  Remember this guy hardly saw the floor for his prep school probably due to weight and fitness issues.

Bell is a freshmen big who just lost ~100 pounds. 

If you think the paint for the Billikens should be manned by a seasoned Willie Reed/Rob Loe hybrid, I don't know what to tell you.  He bangs, he passes well for his size and he hits his free throws at a respectable clip.  He bodies up well and is strong enough with the ball to not turn the ball over.  

We are in 6th or 7th place in the A-10...Zion isnt available to us.  

50 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Bell is a freshmen big who just lost ~100 pounds. 

If you think the paint for the Billikens should be manned by a seasoned Willie Reed/Rob Loe hybrid, I don't know what to tell you.  He bangs, he passes well for his size and he hits his free throws at a respectable clip.  He bodies up well and is strong enough with the ball to not turn the ball over.  

We are in 6th or 7th place in the A-10...Zion isnt available to us.  

Zion in the a10 would have been fun though. Obi x10

It depends on how much Bell is on the floor. I can't imagine him playing more than 15mpg next year unless French is injured for a long stretch. He can be better in those minutes though, especially on the glass. It would seem things are open for a big junior year. Will Diarra stay around? Will Hankton? Will Strickland be good enough so they can play him as a small-ball 5 (imagine a press with Strickland, Hargrove, Yuri, Thatch, and Jacobs.... drool). But if you're big and athletic, and you have skill, nobody can stop you in the A-10. And Jimmy has a path to that. His ceiling is way more than 10ppg.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, jimbofive said:

Disagree on both. 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, 3star_recruit said:

These are interesting takes considering he's ahead of Ian Vouyoukas at this stage of development, a Billiken great with similar limitations.

Ian was really, really bad as a Frosh.  Good hands but could not move his feet and picked up a foul on nearly every play.  Bell won’t have near the jump (unexpected jump) from freshman year to sophomore year mostly because Bell is already so much better than Ian was.  At the same time, Bell has the opportunity to come back next year and really be a force on the inside. Clearly there is playing time available though an off-season of conditioning would be transformative.  Bell already has the hard part - the athletic skill and tools at this point.  He simply needs to be lighter quicker stronger and jump higher. All very doable. 

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Ian was really, really bad as a Frosh.  Good hands but could not move his feet and picked up a foul on nearly every play.  Bell won’t have near the jump (unexpected jump) from freshman year to sophomore year mostly because Bell is already so much better than Ian was.  At the same time, Bell has the opportunity to come back next year and really be a force on the inside. Clearly there is playing time available though an off-season of conditioning would be transformative.  Bell already has the hard part - the athletic skill and tools at this point.  He simply needs to be lighter quicker stronger and jump higher. All very doable. 

What playing time is available? 

Weaver's 16 will be available. That's it - and they aren't going to a center.

And I have a feeling if Jimerson and Thatch are healthy, Weaver is playing single digit minutes. Do you want French's minutes cut?

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

And I have a feeling if Jimerson and Thatch are healthy, Weaver is playing single digit minutes. Do you want French's minutes cut?

Bell can get more minutes.  Him and French together more isnt a bad thing at all. 

23 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I’d actually like to see French’s minutes cut at least a little bit next year...not as a punishment, but as a reward. I know he’s a warrior and he’d play every minute of every game if he could, but how nice would it be for French’s sake if Jimmy Bell could be relied upon to carry the load inside so Has can play 32 minutes instead of 37 or 38. Those minutes add up over a long season. I have as much faith as anybody that Jimmy will improve significantly by the start of next year (I also think Diarra is going to contribute) and Has will be all the better for it. Again, this isn’t a slight on French at all, quite the opposite. He works so hard, he deserves more of a breather than he’s gotten.

Billikenbooster likes this

On 2/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, 3star_recruit said:

I don't think Ian is a good comparison for Bell as Ian had a really well developed skill set, but had strength/athleticism limitations. Not meant at a shot at either guy, just not comparable players in my mind. Sure they are both big men who had conditioning issues to overcome, but I don't see much similarities in their skill sets.