Thatch to Redshirt in 2019 - 2020 Season

crymdg2

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Understood, my initial question was not clear.

Here's a picture of Fred Thatch with his head nearly at the rim in game. Fred stands at 6'3 (75 Inches) the rim is at 120  inches. I know there's a  couple inch difference. But if he can get his head to the rim. His vertical is 45".

1dbdddbe-4509-4a03-8e80-a088f1450247-AP19321795506588.jpg?width=180&height=240&fit=bounds&auto=webp

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, hmart23 said:

Here's a picture of Fred Thatch with his head nearly at the rim in game. Fred stands at 6'3 (75 Inches) the rim is at 120  inches. I know there's a  couple inch difference. But if he can get his head to the rim. His vertical is 45".

1dbdddbe-4509-4a03-8e80-a088f1450247-AP19321795506588.jpg?width=180&height=240&fit=bounds&auto=webp

I'm pretty sure this pic was snapped on his way back down

8 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Fred Thatch does not have a vertical of 45". This would be the best in the NBA combine since 2001 https://www.topendsports.com/sport/basketball/testing-draft-results.htm

He can jump, for sure. But he's not a once in a life-time leaper. Also, if you think Fred's head is at the rim in the above picture, I've got a dog the size of a bridge I'd be willing to sell you. 

image.png.76bb9586eec5532d063984592db62df8.png

Bizziken and Ironbills like this

Just now, glazedandconfused said:

Fred Thatch does not have a vertical of 45". This would be the best in the NBA combine since 2001 https://www.topendsports.com/sport/basketball/testing-draft-results.htm

He can jump, for sure. But he's not an otherworldly leaper. Also, if you think Fred's head is at the rim in this picture, I've got a dog the size of a bridge I'd be willing to sell you. 

image.png.76bb9586eec5532d063984592db62df8.png

Sounds great. meet me in the spot you took the picture and I'll bring you the money.

I understand optics and perspective. I said it was close to the rim. His vertical is in the 40" range. I don't know why this is such a big debate? I understand the coaches exaggerating his vertical. But do you think they'd do it by a literal foot?

2 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Sounds great. meet me in the spot you took the picture and I'll bring you the money.

I understand optics and perspective. I said it was close to the rim. His vertical is in the 40" range. I don't know why this is such a big debate? I understand the coaches exaggerating his vertical. But do you think they'd do it by a literal foot?

I dont get the debate either. Anyone that has seen him play knows he has a high vertical leap. If it is 40" or 45 " who cares. It's a lot.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Someone pointed this out to me, and ever since, its been pretty obvious.  We all talk about the double teams on French, but look how aggressive the double teaming is. For most players, double teaming cant be toooo aggressive, as it normally favors the offensive player, but not for french. They swarm him aggressively because there's really not a bad case scenario. Either, they'll cause a turnover, or foul.  Depending on the foul situation, those are both win - wins for the defense.  

Recently, French has been kicking the ball out. See La Salle game for proof. 

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Actually Jimerson never started a game.  Jacobs has been the starter all year. So I have to change my assertion:

Thatch+Jimerson+Perkins+Big TBD = Easily the best bench in Billiken history.

Let's not quit on Hargrove just yet. 

Guys you are putting the cart ahead of the horse. First let's see if he can play enough to make him a valid player, then let's deal with his vertical. You are talking about past achievement when you say he jumped 45", let's just give him time and see what he can do.

6 hours ago, jimbofive said:

If his vertical is really 40"+, he's terribly ineffective with it.  I'd expect a lot of rebounds, big blocks and dunks from a guy with that kind of bounce.

Fred hasn't done that for us.

Show me.

Fred had more blocks than Goodwin last year (12/11) while only playing half the minutes....rebounds were tough to come by on this team last year, when you had French, Goodwin, Foreman, and Bess on the court...the potential is definitely there...

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Fred had more blocks than Goodwin last year (12/11) while only playing half the minutes....rebounds were tough to come by on this team last year, when you had French, Goodwin, Foreman, and Bess on the court...the potential is definitely there...

Foreman wasn't a big rebounding contributor.

Just FWIW: I have it on good authority that Fred's vertical has been measured over 40 inches.  That puts him some pretty elite company, athletic-wise.  I do not know a precise number in terms of HOW much over 40", but over 40" means we are talking unusual.  In NBA history, depending on which site you look at, there have been at least 10 players over 44": usual suspects like Jordan, Lebron, Dr. J., Mugsy Bogues, David Thompson, Darrell Griffith, Spud Webb, and maybe most surprisingly Wilt the Stilt (imagine a 7'1" dude with up to 48' leap?!?! WTF?).  

12 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Just FWIW: I have it on good authority that Fred's vertical has been measured over 40 inches.  That puts him some pretty elite company, athletic-wise.  I do not know a precise number in terms of HOW much over 40", but over 40" means we are talking unusual.  In NBA history, depending on which site you look at, there have been at least 10 players over 44": usual suspects like Jordan, Lebron, Dr. J., Mugsy Bogues, David Thompson, Darrell Griffith, Spud Webb, and maybe most surprisingly Wilt the Stilt (imagine a 7'1" dude with up to 48' leap?!?! WTF?).  

To me David Thompson was the most spectacular leaper out of the group. 

5 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Maybe I'm drunk on Koolaid, but I don't have a doubt in my mind that next year both will be vying for spots on 2nd team All-A10, at least.

Along with Goodwin and French, that would be four all-conference players on the same team.  Are you drunk on Kool-Aid?  Definitely.  But it's still a good time to be a Billiken fan.

wgstl, slufanskip and GBL_Bills like this