Thatch to Redshirt in 2019 - 2020 Season

crymdg2

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Ford just said on Frank's show that Thatch will redshirt this year and that he was expecting him to be back to 100% soon. 

At this point I’d much rather have that red shirt and have the program looking bright from a long time. 

27 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Interesting 

Man we are going to be so good 

What I don't get is the feeling that we are going to be much better next year, at least in the A 10, than we are this year.  Ya, maybe top 4, but not likely to be picked any higher than that.  Lots of league teams coming back loaded next year.  Now, add a 3 pt sniper to go along with Jimerson and I will start to feel more optimistic   VCU, URI,  Duq, Richmond and even UMASS might all be rated higher than us and of course, SVU is always over-rated.  I'm not saying that we can't win the A 10 next year, I'm just saying that it's not even close to being a cakewalk, even if we are better just with the additions of GJ and Fred.   Let's just not assume an NCAA bid as a given next year, it will still be an ujphill climb.

slu2016 and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

What I don't get is the feeling that we are going to be much better next year, at least in the A 10, than we are this year.  Ya, maybe top 4, but not likely to be picked any higher than that.  Lots of league teams coming back loaded next year.  Now, add a 3 pt sniper to go along with Jimerson and I will start to feel more optimistic   VCU, URI,  Duq, Richmond and even UMASS might all be rated higher than us and of course, SVU is always over-rated.  I'm not saying that we can't win the A 10 next year, I'm just saying that it's not even close to being a cakewalk, even if we are better just with the additions of GJ and Fred.   Let's just not assume an NCAA bid as a given next year, it will still be an ujphill climb.

Jimerson and Thatch are better than any  players coming into the A10 by a long shot. It’s not a cake walk but we will be substantially better 

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

I dont understand how you dont think we're significantly better.

That the team we correctly have, now add experience, A legit shooter in Jimerson, a great defender and rebounder in Thatch.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Glad you feel that way.  Last time the A10 was loaded, we got six bids.

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Jimerson and Thatch are better than any  players coming into the A10 by a long shot. It’s not a cake walk but we will be substantially better 

I like both of them a lot, but what is the possible basis of your statement  that they are better than any incoming A 10 players.  We don't even know who those players are!

1 minute ago, bauman said:

I like both of them a lot, but what is the possible basis of your statement  that they are better than any incoming A 10 players.  We don't even know who those players are!

but we do know the type of players Jimerson and thatch are...

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Because Jimerson  and Thatch aren’t freshman. And they were already really good 

Littlebill likes this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I dont understand how you dont think we're significantly better

I guess it's a matter of semantics.  I DO think we will be better with the addition of GJ and FT and a hoped for improvement in Yuri (turnovers and FTs).  My frame of reference was the A 10, which I think will be improved as much as we are, making it difficult to presume winning the league or even finishing top 3.  As I read some of the posters, I think we are all assuming our improvement, but many are operating under the assumption that the rest of the league will be standing still.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Because Jimerson  and Thatch aren’t freshman. And they were already really good 

This is my point.  Getting them next year is like getting 2 new players with the current team we have. 

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

I guess it's a matter of semantics.  I DO think we will be better with the addition of GJ and FT and a hoped for improvement in Yuri (turnovers and FTs).  My frame of reference was the A 10, which I think will be improved as much as we are, making it difficult to presume winning the league or even finishing top 3.  As I read some of the posters, I think we are all assuming our improvement, but many are operating under the assumption that the rest of the league will be standing still.

I guess it is rooted in my belief that this team is exactly two players away from being really really (Sweet 16 level) good. A dead eye shooter and lock down defender. SLU just so happens to have the necessary dudes locked and loaded just waiting in the wings. I don't think there will be many teams that will be able to match SLU's talent next year. I am not an A10 expert but I do follow it pretty closely. the league should be really strong but I think SLU will be the most talented. Plus, I have a feeling we will be getting an additional big that will help French and Bell. 

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

My frame of reference was the A 10, which I think will be improved as much as we are, making it difficult to presume winning the league or even finishing top 3. 

And thats fine,  that doesn't mean it makes our chances to the tournament any harder, as long we put together a good ooc. 

With that said, Some teams also fall back.  Davidson, Dayton, VCU, and Rhody wont be as good. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is my point.  Getting them next year is like getting 2 new players with the current team we have. 

But the current team we have without them is likely an 8th place finisher in the league so adding them back onto the roster makes us top 3-5 in the league, but a long way from a shoo-in to the top 1 or 2 next year.  Could we do it?  Yes, if everything breaks right for us, but we won't be expected to win it all.  Again, get another GJ type shooter and we might be there.  I'm just tired of us not having enough shooting ability to break down a zone or having two of our best players, both of whom we want on the floor at the end of games,  combining for 50% at the FT line.  That is not a formula for high-level success.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

But the current team we have without them is likely an 8th place finisher in the league so adding them back onto the roster makes us top 3-5 in the league, but a long way from a shoo-in to the top 1 or 2 next year.  Could we do it?  Yes, if everything breaks right for us, but we won't be expected to win it all.  Again, get another GJ type shooter and we might be there.  I'm just tired of us not having enough shooting ability to break down a zone are having two of our best players, both of whom we want on the floor at the end of games,  combining for 50% at the FT line.  That is not a formula for high-level success.

we have two freshman starters! And those 2 freshman play the hardest position for freshman. Lets leave Jimerson and Fred out of this.  Considering Yuri and Bells progress as freshman, that along with Goodwin, Jacobs, and Perkins, thats enough for a top 6 teams easily next year. 

Yes, We're currently 8th.  But like I said, Davidson, Dayton, VCU, and Rhody, who are currently in front of us,  more than likely fall back behind us. So yes, it only makes sense for a team without Jimerson and fred would jump that high

We can be a lot better and deeper. However, what could make us a lock type team would be Has adding more weapons to his game. Notably a short jumper and getting his FT% into the 60% range. He's pretty one dimensional at this point. Yes, Jimerson opens things up for him, but that can't be counted on every night or he gets injured. Not only would expanding his game be good for the team, but  better for him as well. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

25 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

The coaching staff predicted Thatch would be the teams leading scorer this year. 

Sorry, but I would have to put that in the category of "coach-speak," especially given the staff's expectations for JG, HF and GJ (who TF described as one of the very top 3 pt shooters in the country).  And lets remember that Bess predicted Perkins to be the best Billiken and he was very close to being correct, so FT had a long road to hoe to be our leading scorer.

Look guys, I drink Billiken Blue Kool Aid every year.  I thought we would be very good this year  (22-9 overall and 12-6 in conference) and I think we will be very good, even better, next year.  I'm just sayin, I know what we are adding with GJ and FT and without more than them we are basically the team we had at the beginning of this year.  A very good team, but not top 30-40, in my opinion and adding them does not make us a Sweet 16 team next year.  And I hate to repeat myself, but again this assumes no top level addition to the roster.  If TF and staff can get a 4 * shooter then that can make a big difference.  Without that type player, we will be in the hunt just not a projected leader of the pack.  As written above, I see us as top 3-5 in a very good conference and that's not too shabby.

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We can be a lot better and deeper. However, what could make us a lock type team would be Has adding more weapons to his game. Notably a short jumper and getting his FT% into the 60% range. 

Someone pointed this out to me, and ever since, its been pretty obvious.  We all talk about the double teams on French, but look how aggressive the double teaming is. For most players, double teaming cant be toooo aggressive, as it normally favors the offensive player, but not for french. They swarm him aggressively because there's really not a bad case scenario. Either, they'll cause a turnover, or foul.  Depending on the foul situation, those are both win - wins for the defense.  

13 minutes ago, bauman said:

Look guys, I drink Billiken Blue Kool Aid every year.  I thought we would be very good this year  (22-9 overall and 12-6 in conference) and I think we will be very good, even better, next year.  I'm just sayin, I know what we are adding with GJ and FT and without more than them we are basically the team we had at the beginning of this year.  A very good team, but not top 30-40, in my opinion and adding them does not make us a Sweet 16 team next year.  And I hate to repeat myself, but again this assumes no top level addition to the roster.  If TF and staff can get a 4 * shooter then that can make a big difference.  Without that type player, we will be in the hunt just not a projected leader of the pack.  As written above, I see us as top 3-5 in a very good conference and that's not too shabby.

The one thing you have not mentioned when evaluating is progress from the underclassmen. I think that is as big as anything. I think the exact team we have currently, gets killed by next years team.