How Do We Handle HAVOC

HoosierPal

I've put yesterday's game in my rear view mirror.  Friday will be an exciting game with VCU.  They will bring their HAVOC press.  How do we handle it?

Is Yuri quick enough or tall enough to get through the first wave.  A taller guard who can see over the first wave might give us an edge.

Back passing and cross court passing will be needed.  Are you okay with Goodwin, Collins, Jacobs and Perkins in those roles? 

Do we let Has play PG against HAVOC?

I wonder who the coaching staff is putting on the scout team prepping for this press.  Six on five? 

Time for some discussion.  I've got no answers.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I also don’t like seeing yuri Inbounding the ball. You already shave off a few seconds having him inbound, retrieve, then start bringing it up 

A couple of games ago they reversed that where he was receiving, for the exact reason you state-per Rammer. Perhaps they will go back to it. 

The inbound pass is the first spot for a trap so maybe a quick pass back to Yuri might work, letting him inbound?

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I also don’t like seeing yuri Inbounding the ball. You already shave off a few seconds having him inbound, retrieve, then start bringing it up 

Sorry, but my bigger concern related to Yuri is turnovers.  More TOs than assists the last couple of games some of which occurred due to just being out of control.  We need the early season Yuri to re-appear, especially against VCU.  It also would be nice if he could regain the FT shooting touch I seem to recall at the end of his high school career.  PG's need to be at least 75% from the line and I think he is more than capable of doing that.  Maintaining a lead at the end of games should be doable if we have 3 players capable from the line; JP, DJ and hopefully Yuri.  This is just another area where we miss Jimerson and his 85% FT shooting.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Sorry, but my bigger concern related to Yuri is turnovers.  More TOs than assists the last couple of games some of which occurred due to just being out of control.  We need the early season Yuri to re-appear, especially against VCU.  It also would be nice if he could regain the FT shooting touch I seem to recall at the end of his high school career.  PG's need to be at least 75% from the line and I think he is more than capable of doing that.  Maintaining a lead at the end of games should be doable if we have 3 players capable from the line; JP, DJ and hopefully Yuri.  This is just another area where we miss Jimerson and his 85% FT shooting.

Last year in our 6 point loss at VCU we had 19 turnovers. We had 14 last night.  The VCU press is an order of magnitude more aggressive than UMass'.

21 minutes ago, bauman said:

I am afraid I have to agree with you on this one.   Cannot imagine this team without Yuri, sure like his future but his present is not always good.  Just re-watched the second half of the UMass game and Yuri had a big turnover near the 4 minute mark?

Not saying that Goodwin is a better PG ... and I do believe that Goodwin really brings a new dimension to the team playing a wing this year... but Yuri is playing like a normal but talented Freshman - sometimes he is really, really good and other times he is not.

I also hope that Jacobs is ready to go in that contested dribbling/breaking the press is not Tay Weaver's strength/game.

We looked good against LaSalle -not just b/c they aren't that good - but bc they played in a man to man.  I have NOT watched all that much of VCU this year, but going off their prior style of play, I am hoping these matchups will be better for our guys than pack the lane and take the air out of the ball.   With out team, I believe we have/will have more success against better teams who play man to man and up tempo than bad teams which pack the lane and take the air out.

VCU's trap (HAVOC) is designed to force the dribbler to the sideline and then have a back side player come from the blind side and trap against that sideline.  The point being you can't  turn your back to the center of the court where the help is coming from. You turn back right into their trap and add to their strength.  The key has always been to understand that and recognize the surroundings.  Having Yuri run point blank up the sidelines will not help.

VCU is guard-oriented and guard-deep.  Evans has a knee injury and did not play against Dayton.  He was a game time decision so that may reverse itself against us.  This is becoming Bones Hyland's team and he is a 6'5" PG who can shoot.  Then you have Isaac Vann, De'Riante Jenkins, Mike'L Simms, Malik Crowfield, Jimmy Clark, KeShawn Curry, Vince Williams and Jarren McAllister.  All guards.  All looking to press and create steals while amping up the pressure.  This will make what Umass did look like child's play and that is scary considering how badly we did there.  We can only hope the crowd adds to our benefit.

The rim defenders are Santos-Silva, Douglas and Ward.  We need to attack and not turn it over because VCU's half court game is not good.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

I am afraid I have to agree with you on this one.   Cannot imagine this team without Yuri, sure like his future but his present is not always good.  Just re-watched the second half of the UMass game and Yuri had a big turnover near the 4 minute mark?

Not saying that Goodwin is a better PG ... and I do believe that Goodwin really brings a new dimension to the team playing a wing this year... but Yuri is playing like a normal but talented Freshman - sometimes he is really, really good and other times he is not.

I also hope that Jacobs is ready to go in that contested dribbling/breaking the press is not Tay Weaver's strength/game.

We looked good against LaSalle -not just b/c they aren't that good - but bc they played in a man to man.  I have NOT watched all that much of VCU this year, but going off their prior style of play, I am hoping these matchups will be better for our guys than pack the lane and take the air out of the ball.   With out team, I believe we have/will have more success against better teams who play man to man and up tempo than bad teams which pack the lane and take the air out.

The Bill's need a second PG next year.  SLU is exposed when Yuri is out of the game against a pressing team.  Sorry KC,  Bills need a Big shooter and a PG.

Majerus used the Tree and cuts to break the press. The guard would inbound it to the center flashing at the top of the key, the two guards in the corners would break down court, or cut in front of the tree, and the inbounding guard would sprint down the center. Most of the inbound plays took under five seconds to break havoc and generated many fast breaks.

Collins is our only true fast break ball handling guard, so it will be a challenge to use a vertical tree to break their press. Ford could go unconventional and try a stacked sideline tree, with everyone cutting to the center, One low and one high on a crisscross, and the baseline guard going vertical down the vacated sideline.

When you don’t have height, you have to force their overplaying extra man to make two decisions consecutively. Collins needs to inbound because he is too easy to cover down low on the inbounding pass, and a relative jet heading north off a cut.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:06 PM, Sheltiedave said:

Majerus used the Tree and cuts to break the press. The guard would inbound it to the center flashing at the top of the key, the two guards in the corners would break down court, or cut in front of the tree, and the inbounding guard would sprint down the center. Most of the inbound plays took under five seconds to break havoc and generated many fast breaks.

Collins is our only true fast break ball handling guard, so it will be a challenge to use a vertical tree to break their press. Ford could go unconventional and try a stacked sideline tree, with everyone cutting to the center, One low and one high on a crisscross, and the baseline guard going vertical down the vacated sideline.

When you don’t have height, you have to force their overplaying extra man to make two decisions consecutively. Collins needs to inbound because he is too easy to cover down low on the inbounding pass, and a relative jet heading north off a cut.

Is this what the street is saying?  Are the trees talking on the street as well?