Transfer Rules

WVBilliken

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think mid-major basketball would get hurt worse.  Say a team gets a player like Obi Toppin.  You think a kid like that who likely has no intention of staying 4 years for a degree stays at Dayton for year 2.  Doubtful.  There are lots of players who wanted to play for their state school or dream school who will leave at the drop of a hat if offered the second time around.  

Yeah, I ain't liking this idea at all. For the reasons stated above. The rich always get richer etc. I don't really like the grad transfer thing either. It reminds me of the well-heeled baseball teams shopping for rentals and free agents. I wonder how many of those GTs actually get a second degree.

The smaller schools will be the farm system for the larger schools.

The underrated recruits like Tre Mitchell, Ryan Daly will be developed and moved up to the big league schools and the result will be that schools like Loyola or Butler will never be in a final 4 and no at large bids for smaller schools they will not be able to compete.  There will hardly ever be an upset in the NCAA tournament from a low seeded team.

The only change I would like to see is if a coach leaves the program the players can get a waiver to any school with the exception of the school the coach moved to.

This is all true that players like Tre Mitchell and Daly could be more likely to transfer (conversely, high major players that aren't playing much could transfer to mid-majors) But that's the point. It's restricting a player's freedom to penalize them for changing schools. May not be best for fans of mid-majors, but it's better for the players than what is currently in place. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it was only a matter of time. 

Slowly but surely the NCAA is taking college hoops in the same direction as FB. I predict in the next 5-10 years the dance will only be open to the P5'-P7 schools. This transfer rule will definitely work in the favor of the biggies, especially Duke, UK, KU, et al. Coach K loses a PG to the NBA, no problem just go to the mids and cherry pick the best mid PG. Voila, PG hole plugged. As many have said, the mids will serve as the farm system for the majors. Calipari needs a sniper, let's offer that Jimerson kid from SLU. Say Jimmy Bell does develop into a really good big, Izzo comes a calling. 

Transfer portal will be stuffed full of good mid major players. Consequently, the NCAA will one day determine the mids can't compete any longer, so why waste the money on schools that are first round fodder for the bigs. For anyone out there who scoffs at the idea of us getting into the Beast at any cost, this is the reason why we need to be there. Elsewise, all the mids will become just a notch above D2 schools. 

14 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I think mid-major basketball would get hurt worse.  Say a team gets a player like Obi Toppin. 

Lower major takes a big hit.  There used to be high mid low. but parity is taking over.  Now just a high and low. Players are starting to get an understanding that the difference between a Duke and a lets say VCU isnt as big anymore. Look at college basketball right now, 3 of the top 6 are "mid majors"

14 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I think mid-major basketball would get hurt worse.  Say a team gets a player like Obi Toppin.  You think a kid like that who likely has no intention of staying 4 years for a degree stays at Dayton for year 2.  Doubtful.  There are lots of players who wanted to play for their state school or dream school who will leave at the drop of a hat if offered the second time around.  

Yep, this is a terrible idea. There will be a flood of kids trying to go to "higher profile" schools in the pursuit of increasing their pro basketball aspirations. Mid majors who put the time in and discover some hidden gems and develop them will become even more susceptible to getting screwed. Imagine some traditional blue blood program that is going through a crap season like North Carolina right now... This will make it even easier for them to hit the free agent market and poach quality players that other programs developed in an attempt for a quick fix.

I have never understood the idea of having to simply sit out one year and get a free education is a "punishment" for a kid.  It doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Not only does the kid get an extra year of free education they can take the time to work on their game and really hit the weight room. Kids can improve a great deal over the course of that redshirt year, and having that "free" year has proven to beneficial to a lot of kids. And kids who actually care about getting an education benefit by getting that free year.

CBFan likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yep, this is a terrible idea. There will be a flood of kids trying to go to "higher profile" schools in the pursuit of increasing their pro basketball aspirations. Mid majors who put the time in and discover some hidden gems and develop them will become even more susceptible to getting screwed. Imagine some traditional blue blood program that is going through a crap season like North Carolina right now... This will make it even easier for them to hit the free agent market and poach quality players that other programs developed in an attempt for a quick fix.

I think it'll happen for sure, but I dont think it'll happen as much as you think. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Lower major takes a big hit.  There used to be high mid low. but parity is taking over.  Now just a high and low. Players are starting to get an understanding that the difference between a Duke and a lets say VCU isnt as big anymore. Look at college basketball right now, 3 of the top 6 are "mid majors"

There's a reason the ACC and the Big 10 are in favor of this - they know it will benefit them. That alone is a reason we should be against it.

A mid-major coach who tries to do things the right away - develop a team through roster continuity could get totally screwed. If that coach gets his players poached, he could find himself out of job, even though he may have done an excellent job of identifying and developing recruits.

AGB91 likes this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

When the NIL payment agenda come in, and they will - perhaps dovetailed with this transfer change, this will not be good for anyone below the P6 cut line.   You will need cold hard cash to keep your best players.

Even lower tier P5 schools will be feeder schools.  This is a ploy to make the Dukes, Kentuckys, and Kansases even stronger.

There will always be kids at lower levels who are good enough to compete at higher level.  There are at least 20 kids in the A10 alone who are capable of playing at a high major.  Add up all the mid-major leagues and you have a couple hundred kids.  They're not all going to be absorbed in the spring by a couple dozen high major programs.

And there will always be talented high major kids who decide to transfer due to lack of playing time. And they will largely transfer to mid-majors, as they always have.

As for worrying about the strength of Duke and Kentucky, they're getting all the one and dones now and they consistently underachieve.

Does anyone disagree this is better for all players involved?

- High level players who are at a small school can have the freedom to try and get more visibility at a larger school. 

- Under utilized players at the high majors can more easily find a school that better suits their skill level if they want more playing time

- The occasional athlete that is very education focused won't be de-incentivized to transfer to a school that better fits his academic goals

- When a coach leaves, athletes are forced to sit out a year or play for a coach who didn't recruit them

Sure, it remains to be seen if it will hurt SLU's competitive chances, but for those whose lives are actually impacted by it (players), it's a win all around.

I'm definitely more in the Ace camp than not as I think good mid-major players will be poached left and right by power teams. It'll be incredibly easy for them as all they have to do is call up their AAU coach and mention that Duke is now interested in Jordan Goodwin for his senior year. Word get's to Jordan and he then has a decision to make. Not always an easy decision...

I wonder if the parity we have experienced this year and years past coupled with the NBA getting close to ending the rule that they won't make kids wait a year out of high school, thus ending the one-and-done pipeline, is making these power teams/conferences want to find a new method for ensuring they always have access to the best players.

ACE and JohnnyJumpUp like this

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm definitely more in the Ace camp than not as I think good mid-major players will be poached left and right by power teams. It'll be incredibly easy for them as all they have to do is call up their AAU coach and mention that Duke is now interested in Jordan Goodwin for his senior year. Word get's to Jordan and he then has a decision to make. Not always an easy decision...

I wonder if the parity we have experienced this year and years past coupled with the NBA getting close to ending the rule that they won't make kids wait a year out of high school, thus ending the one-and-done pipeline, is making these power teams/conferences want to find a new method for ensuring they always have access to the best players.

There will always be kids, Jordan Goodwin and Tre Mitchell being great examples, who choose to stay home and play at mid-majors despite having a multiple high major offers out of high school.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There will always be kids, Jordan Goodwin and Tre Mitchell being great examples, who choose to stay home and play at mid-majors despite having a multiple high major offers out of high school.

But there are also plenty of kids who don't have high major offers out of high school, go the mid major route and prove they are good enough to play at the P5 level. Those are the kind of kids who could easily be wooed by "higher profile" programs. 

There were nearly 1,000 transfers last year. The current rules have not prohibited a LOT of kids from transferring, so why make it even easier?

I just dont see the need of a kid to go from a Umass up to a Pittsburgh.  There will be kids going from a Drake to a gonzaga, of course.  My point is, theres not too many schools that will benefit from it.  Sure the typical top 30 schools will have their pickings, but you gotta remember, when those schools are taking in those transfers, it leaves more HS kids available.  you have roughly 30 top schools, vs 150 mid majors schools.  thats not a lot.  A school like SLU is safe.  The line that it hurts are teams that are typically 175 and below

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

But there are also plenty of kids who don't have high major offers out of high school, go the mid major route and prove they are good enough to play at the P5 level. Those are the kind of kids who could easily be wooed by "higher profile" programs. 

There were nearly 1,000 transfers last year. The current rules have not prohibited a LOT of kids from transferring, so why make it even easier?

So 1,000's of kids transfer every year now and college basketball is just fine. More parity now then ever. 3 top 5 teams are mid-majors.  If we remove the arbitrary one year penalty, 1000's of kids will transfer next year and college basketball will be just fine and 18-22 year olds will be more capable of finding the situation that best serves them, whether it is moving to a bigger program, to a smaller program, to a school closer to home, to a school that better suits their educational goals, etc.