GDT @ UMass

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that sucked.

Not sure what to think about this one.

Im actually OK with them not fouling at the end that’s a 50/50 thing. I would have been ok either way.

Im getting tired of these French disappearing acts. He is suppose to be one of our go to guys and team leader. To many times this year he hasn’t shown up. I was expecting him to be in the all conference conversation. 
He has got to stop pushing off on those entry passes. He has piled up the fouls with those the last few games.

Goodwin great game.

Perkins was Perkins of conference play

Jacobs was good Jacobs until he came out.

Collins disappeared except then he was throwing the ball away

We have no business losing games when Goodwin and Perkins combine for over 40.

We need more from French

RiseAndGrind and HoosierPal like this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Really? I’m like the least ref critic but I thought this was one of if not the worst. And not even fouls, at least 3 of the 70 called travels were  not Travels

Well, if nothing else it shows my profound ignorance about the technical side of basketball.

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

I must’ve missed the NCAA championship banners that are hanging in the rafters.

Oh...Unfortunately there are quite a few programs without NCAA championship banners hanging. Only 1 team out of 350 something teams actually do it every year. It's pretty tough to do. Didn't know it was NCAA championship or bust for you. If you would like though, there is this thing called logic that you could use to measure success. Let me know if you would like me to help you out with it. 

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

Huh??? A10 Championships??? Are you serious? 

Ya we are in the a10. So. That's the championship we try to win every year. You might not of noticed since you don't follow when the good things happen. But we won with another depleted roster last year. Coach Ford did a great job during the 4 day run and the players played there ass off. It was very exciting. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy it.  

rgbilliken likes this

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

I actually can't believe the TO tally was 14 to 11. It felt like 20 or close to it. Maybe because so many of them were really soft or even unforced turnovers.

It felt that way because our turnover rate was 22.2% of possessions. We had only 63 possessions so 14 turnovers is at minimum 3 more than we should have. The unforced travels and just dumb passes account for at least half of the 14.

The Wiz likes this

7 hours ago, dlarry said:

Well that sucked.

Not sure what to think about this one.

Im actually OK with them not fouling at the end that’s a 50/50 thing. I would have been ok either way.

Im getting tired of these French disappearing acts. He is suppose to be one of our go to guys and team leader. To many times this year he hasn’t shown up. I was expecting him to be in the all conference conversation. 
He has got to stop pushing off on those entry passes. He has piled up the fouls with those the last few games.

Goodwin great game.

Perkins was Perkins of conference play

Jacobs was good Jacobs until he came out.

Collins disappeared except then he was throwing the ball away

We have no business losing games when Goodwin and Perkins combine for over 40.

We need more from French

French has just totally disappointed. Im hoping he’s been hurt and not just regressed so much.

billiken_roy and slufan13 like this

I would guess that we'll hear something at the end of the season about how French has been dealing with injury all year. He has not been the same since his hip injury in ~December. Part of that is that we've faced better teams and they can gameplan for him, but he looks tentative, less explosive, and less confident. I hope that's the case at least.

Goodwin still made one or two plays last night that an upperclassman with his experience shouldn't make, but he was great last night and has been for a couple games now. He has his limitations which make it difficult for him to carry the team by himself but if you add this Goodwin to a health French/Jimerson, Perkins, and a sophomore Collins/Bell, you have a sweet 16 caliber starting 5 next year. 

I know it caused a stir when this was discussed last week, but Perkins might actually be our best player right now. He's definitely our best offensive player.

This board has sucked in the past week. I'm all about sharing any and all opinions on a message board, but there are too many extremes. The only thing as bad as the perennial pessimist is the perennial optimist. And can we please quit whining about the refs? They suck, but it's gotten old. I prefer the Guy Phillips bashing.

Last year around this time, I had enough of the message board and made a vow to leave the board until the team went on a run and made the NCAA's. So....see you guys in March when we run the table in Brooklyn again.

SLU_Lax, Littlebill and Bizziken like this

9 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

We are a good team, but not an at large tournament team. We are still two players away from that. We will get an NIT bid, if we can’t win the conference tournament. Ford still has the program headed in the right direction.

This is the correct take. Unfortunately those two players we're missing are the ones sitting with injuries/illness which I think a lot of people are quick to brush aside.

Yes this team is still a good team but we're also riding a freshman point guard. That comes with ups and downs in itself.

58 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes this team is still a good team but we're also riding a freshman point guard. That comes with ups and downs in itself.

Along with a center, probably the 2 hardest positions for freshman 

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

Complete shite show from Ford,

sup @Clock_Tower

Please explain whatever thought you are trying to express? 

I am just as disappointed as the rest of this Board but was last night's performance that Coach Ford should be fired?  That he is a bad coach?  Please explain.

In the meantime, I will suggest that this Board review the attached box score.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20200218_STLOU@UMASS/

No D1 basketball team, at any level, will win many road conference games when their best inside player attempts only 5 shots and scores only 5 points on the night before fouling out; when their Center takes 1 shot (and misses it) ending with no points after 21 minutes and when its PG plays 30 minutes and ends up with 2 points for the night.   And if anyone thinks Yuri had all these great assists last night, they sure weren't to Bell and Has. 

Just now, Clock_Tower said:

Please explain whatever thought you are trying to express? 

I am just as disappointed as the rest of this Board but was last night's performance that Coach Ford should be fired?  That he is a bad coach?  Please explain.

In the meantime, I will suggest that this Board review the attached box score.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20200218_STLOU@UMASS/

No D1 basketball team, at any level, will win many road conference games when their best inside player attempts only 5 shots and scores only 5 points on the night before fouling out; when their Center takes 1 shot (and misses it) ending with no points after 21 minutes and when its PG plays 30 minutes and ends up with 2 points for the night.   And if anyone thinks Yuri had all these great assists last night, they sure weren't to Bell and Has. 

What I said the other day was that his flaw is in game coaching.  You replied with a sarcastic measure and told me that I need to point out how, which I was never going to waste my time with. If you watched the 2nd half, there were quite a few to choose from. I never said he should be fired. Hell, i'm one of his biggest fans. But to point out he has issues with in-game coaching, and then you getting snippy about it(no clue why) is funny to me.  Thats all. 

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I would guess that we'll hear something at the end of the season about how French has been dealing with injury all year. He has not been the same since his hip injury in ~December. Part of that is that we've faced better teams and they can gameplan for him, but he looks tentative, less explosive, and less confident. I hope that's the case at least.

Goodwin still made one or two plays last night that an upperclassman with his experience shouldn't make, but he was great last night and has been for a couple games now. He has his limitations which make it difficult for him to carry the team by himself but if you add this Goodwin to a health French/Jimerson, Perkins, and a sophomore Collins/Bell, you have a sweet 16 caliber starting 5 next year. 

I know it caused a stir when this was discussed last week, but Perkins might actually be our best player right now. He's definitely our best offensive player.

This board has sucked in the past week. I'm all about sharing any and all opinions on a message board, but there are too many extremes. The only thing as bad as the perennial pessimist is the perennial optimist. And can we please quit whining about the refs? They suck, but it's gotten old. I prefer the Guy Phillips bashing.

Last year around this time, I had enough of the message board and made a vow to leave the board until the team went on a run and made the NCAA's. So....see you guys in March when we run the table in Brooklyn again.

Perkins may be the best scorer in the whole league.