GDT @ UMass

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

I wish one could pick the time when on jury duty. I kind of don't mind doing it but having Uncle Sam or his local siblings pluck you out of your regular life with no real warning sucks.

Ya the timing of it is the worst part, I tried to call and postpone yesterday but they were off since it was a holiday 

MBM'ers talking about the key factors in tonight's game brings to mind the Dr. Frank Ryan quote when he was quarterback for the Cleveland Browns against my NY Giants so many moons ago. Chris Schenkel, announcer, asked Dr. Frank what would be the biggest factor in the game; Dr. Frank:"The final score" .  He went on to get his PHD in Mathematics. 

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ya the timing of it is the worst part, I tried to call and postpone yesterday but they were off since it was a holiday 

I postponed last winter and moved it to the week before Christmas thinking the chances of being on a trial would be slim since everyone would be gearing up for the holidays. Within the first hour I am part of the jury selection process. I was fairly far down the line, so I figured there would be no chance I would get selected. Well, I ended up being selected. The trial and deliberation took us past midnight on Thursday, so it was a long and rather brutal week. The case itself was an armed robbery, but we could not reach a verdict, so it was a mistrial. I think the guy has another jury trial coming up this spring, so I will be interested to see what a new jury decides.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I postponed last winter and moved it to the week before Christmas thinking the chances of being on a trial would be slim since everyone would be gearing up for the holidays. Within the first hour I am part of the jury selection process. I was fairly far down the line, so I figured there would be no chance I would get selected. Well, I ended up being selected. The trial and deliberation took us past midnight on Thursday, so it was a long and rather brutal week. The case itself was an armed robbery, but we could not reach a verdict, so it was a mistrial. I think the guy has another jury trial coming up this spring, so I will be interested to see what a new jury decides.

Last time I had to do Jury duty, the case was interesting. I remember seeing the breaking news when it happened. Didnt make the final cut for that one. 

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Last time I had to do Jury duty, the case was interesting. I remember seeing the breaking news when it happened. Didnt make the final cut for that one. 

This was the case I was on. Interesting process, I was on a jury with the guy who helps run the SLU chess program.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/maplewood-carjacker-leaves-behind-big-clue-for-police/article_2c7338c3-f62c-51c7-8ad8-cd94bd008df1.html

https://dailycollegian.com/2020/02/umass-mens-basketball-looking-to-adjust-for-rematch-with-saint-louis/

Couple of quotes from McCall ahead of tonight's game. Nothing earth shattering but:

- McCall says Umass has had some success with playing some zone defense and could see that tonight depending on flow of the game

- Said down the stretch we could see some Hack a French...says they wanted to do it last time vs us.

- McCall also talks about how Umass is still motivated by trying to get a (single) bye in the conference tourney.