(O.T.? )David Burns

BLIKNS

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Your question has already been answered, but for my 2 cents, H was the best Billiken passer I have ever seen.  He was great on cross court bounce passes on the break.  As Spoon said, it was one of those "No, No NO....great pass H." He was also darn good shooting the three ball.  And most know this, but there was no period behind the H

Do you think Yuri could rival him by the time it’s all said and done? I never really got to see Waldman play so don’t have the frame of reference.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still fondly remember the night of Friday, December 21, 1979, when I saw David Burns light it up against #16 Mizzou at the Checkerdome in front of 14,000+ screaming fans. Mizzou had three future NBA players in Larry Drew, Steve "Stipo" Stipanovich, and Jon Sunvold. In addition, they had the traitorous ex-Billiken, Ricky Frazier. The Billikens played Mizzou tough all night, and held a 10 pt lead in the 2nd half. Henderson fouled out with 8-10 minutes left, and the Billikens went into their 4 corners offense with David Burns at the point. Burns had 15 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds before the zebras fouled him out also with about 3 minutes left. Three of his fouls were offensive fouls! The game still went to overtime, but former DeSmet great, Mark Dressler hit 2 FT's at the end of OT to win it for Mizzou 77-75. We were robbed! I've loved the Billikens ever since.

29 minutes ago, David King said:

I still fondly remember the night of Friday, December 21, 1979, when I saw David Burns light it up against #16 Mizzou at the Checkerdome in front of 14,000+ screaming fans. Mizzou had three future NBA players in Larry Drew, Steve "Stipo" Stipanovich, and Jon Sunvold. In addition, they had the traitorous ex-Billiken, Ricky Frazier. The Billikens played Mizzou tough all night, and held a 10 pt lead in the 2nd half. Henderson fouled out with 8-10 minutes left, and the Billikens went into their 4 corners offense with David Burns at the point. Burns had 15 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds before the zebras fouled him out also with about 3 minutes left. Three of his fouls were offensive fouls! The game still went to overtime, but former DeSmet great, Mark Dressler hit 2 FT's at the end of OT to win it for Mizzou 77-75. We were robbed! I've loved the Billikens ever since.

Good story.  Thanks.  And ironic bc Mark would soon become a disaster at the FT line!!

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Justin Tatum was a partial-qualifier, and he arrived on campus too late in the 1997-98 season to get fall-semester credit, because he was trying to get a qualifying score on the ACT.  (Didn't he manage a qualifying score on an untimed test only to have the NCAA deny him?)  So Justin Tatum had to wait until the fall semester ended in 1998 before he could commence his sophomore season (meanwhile Justin Love had been injured and also missed several games at the beginning of that season).

He did attend a junior college — at least not for basketball.  He spent at least part of his freshman season sitting out at SLU.

Yes. Wasn’t Tatum considered a “prop 48”?  https://www.fastweb.com/student-life/articles/ncaa-s-clearinghouse-rules-who-s-looking-out-for-the-student-athlete

This meant Tatum could go to SLU (instead of JUCO), could not play as a Frosh but if he progressed in college with his grades, he could then play 3 years at D1 instead of going to JUCO, having to graduate from JUCO and playing only 2 years at D1. Prip 48 has changed over the years - but now kids go to prep school to work on their grades and test scores along with basketball and then they get to play 4 years at D1. 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Tatum and Hughes were teammates, same class.  I recall him attempting many tests to get eligible and it never worked out.  But that counted as a full year on the roster because he was on scholarship.  Going to D2 McKendree didn't matter later.

Outside of Hughes, that whole class underachieved in my book.  Tatum.  Baniak.  Redden.  Heinrich.  By their senior years I'd say Redden and Heinrich were passable, C-level players.  Hughes over-inflated them as a group.  When he left, the air in the ball left too.

I never knew that was why Tatum burned a year of eligibility.  As for that Freshman class of '97, It was just Baniak, Heinrich, and the CBC guys.  Redden was the class ahead with Troy Robertson and Larry Simmons.

But you're right.  Those two classes disappointed (other than the glorious one year Larry gave us).  The best players by the senior years for each class were transfers (Love, Fergerson, Jeffers).

2 hours ago, David King said:

Dressler had 2 older brothers who played in HS. I went to grade school with one.

17 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

As I seem to recall the talk at the time was he got Maurice Cheeks to sign out of Chicago to West Texas, think who can get to sign at SLU. Nevertheless, he never signed anyone the level of Cheeks.

Some good jucos off the top my head that I liked: Love, Dave Ferguson, Mo Jeffers, Donnie Dobbs, Lockette, Ghost Leonard.   

Al, I think Ghost came in as a FR from a HS in MS. Speaking of the Ghost, didn't he have a son who was pretty good, but had some emotional problems?  I seem to recall us recruiting him, but it never came to be. 

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Big thanks to @BLIKNS for starting this thread and salvaging what might be the worst mid-season week in Billikens.com history.

No way; not by a long shot.  When Jordan Goodwin was suspended for the remainder of the season about two years ago (and possibly expelled from the university), it was worse by miles.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

No way; not by a long shot.  When Jordan Goodwin was suspended for the remainder of the season about two years ago (and possibly expelled from the university), it was worse by miles.

That was the board responding to bad news.  Bad news is gonna spring up every once in a while and we all just have to deal with it. 

This week's pain was entirely self-inflicted.

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

That was the board responding to bad news.  Bad news is gonna spring up every once in a while and we all just have to deal with it. 

This week's pain was entirely self-inflicted.

I don't think it was so excruciating: we just debated whether Crews should have been retained and/or what people thought at the time.  If Clock Tower hadn't bumped seven-year-old posts instead of linking to them, you probably wouldn't have noticed.

10 hours ago, NH said:

Do you think Yuri could rival him by the time it’s all said and done? I never really got to see Waldman play so don’t have the frame of reference.

Both of them have unique court vision and passing skills.  I doubt if Collins will become the outside scoring threat that H was.  He hit 42% from the arc. 

H's assists may have been greater had not Claggett performed so well off the dribble.  I would be interested to see how many assists H had to Claggs and to Highmark.  I'm betting Highmark's were much higher.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't think it was so excruciating: we just debated whether Crews should have been retained and/or what people thought at the time.  If Clock Tower hadn't bumped seven-year-old posts instead of linking to them, you probably wouldn't have noticed.

Agree nothing else to do. 

On 2/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, billiken_roy said:

he wasnt horrible shooting in the half court.   as bay said above, i remember his shot looked funny. 

Yes, shot looked a bit funny, but he did have good pull up jumper - to 15’ or so - which helped in keeping defenses from over-playing drive to basket.