(O.T.? )David Burns

BLIKNS

I became a Billiken fan the day Grawer got hired, so unfortunately missed out on David.  Was looking at the archives, said in '79-'80 he was 2nd team All Metro and in '80-'81 was 1st team, Metro POY and HM AA...

Can anyone share some stories, memories, really don't think there will be any video.. 

Can in as a JUCO, our most successful JUCO????

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, willie said:

David might have been the fastest player I have ever seen. Just outran people to get to the hole. He was before his time with flowing locks. One of the best Billikens ever who played on bad teams. 

Yeah, he played with Becton his second season.  Lots of talent, not so much on results.  I wonder how Ekker talked those guys into coming to SLU.

Burns is up there, maybe tops on our JUCO list.  Other JUCO's with solid Billiken careers include Dobbs, Love, Footes and Jeffers. I'd give Perkins a solid chance of joining the list by the end of next season.

Burns was absolutely quick and with fellow JUCO recruit kelvin Henderson, the best pair of JUCOs ever brought in.  Only Justin Love could challenge to be in the top two in my book.  Burns took an average of 362 shots in each of his two years here for teams that finished 22 and 32.  I don't recall him being a shooter ala Claggett but more of a driver like Jett.  Henderson averaged 13.6 and 15.6 ppg to Burns' 17.4 and 21.4 ppg.  They were the only reasons to watch the Bills those years.  Justin Love averaged 13.7 and 18.2 and gets extra credit for the Miracle in Memphis where he carried the Bills to that title.  As I recall, Love was injured at the star of his first year and missed seven of 31 games.  

Other JUCOs on my top ten list since 1975 would be:  Mo Jeffers, Willie Becton, Donnie Dobbs, Quitman Dillard, Charles Newberry, Carvin Norman and Isaiah Singletary.  Javonte Perkins is obviously on the rise.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Burns was absolutely quick and with fellow JUCO recruit kelvin Henderson, the best pair of JUCOs ever brought in.  Only Justin Love could challenge to be in the top two in my book.  Burns took an average of 362 shots in each of his two years here for teams that finished 22 and 32.  I don't recall him being a shooter ala Claggett but more of a driver like Jett.  Henderson averaged 13.6 and 15.6 ppg to Burns' 17.4 and 21.4 ppg.  They were the only reasons to watch the Bills those years.  Justin Love averaged 13.7 and 18.2 and gets extra credit for the Miracle in Memphis where he carried the Bills to that title.  As I recall, Love was injured at the star of his first year and missed seven of 31 games.  

Other JUCOs on my top ten list since 1975 would be:  Mo Jeffers, Willie Becton, Donnie Dobbs, Quitman Dillard, Charles Newberry, Carvin Norman and Isaiah Singletary.  Javonte Perkins is obviously on the rise.

I didn't think Newberry was a juco recruit.  Kevin Footes was, around that time.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

No love for Vas'shun Newborne or Barry Eberhardt?

We seem to have more failures at the JUCO ranks than success stories.  

As I recall, Charlie Newberry played his first year somewhere at a JUCO in Belleville.  Maybe that's SWIC now.  I think he was a partial qualifier out of high school so he was able to transfer to us after one year.  Ergo, he has three years of stats in the Billiken history book.  I believe I got that from roy.

Luther Burden is another question mark.  I don't recall his whole story but he too has only three years on our books.  I seem to recall him not being eligible out of high school so he went somewhere else, maybe a prep school?  But if that's the case, why did he only put three years in with us?  

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As I recall, Charlie Newberry played his first year somewhere at a JUCO in Belleville.  Maybe that's SWIC now.  I think he was a partial qualifier out of high school so he was able to transfer to us after one year.  Ergo, he has three years of stats in the Billiken history book.  I believe I got that from roy.

Luther Burden is another question mark.  I don't recall his whole story but he too has only three years on our books.  I seem to recall him not being eligible out of high school so he went somewhere else, maybe a prep school?  But if that's the case, why did he only put three years in with us?  

I believe you are right about Charlie. Burden got in trouble,  I believe with drugs. Can't remember if that was before,during or after his Billiken career. 

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

-I agree with this and hope this worm continues to turn with JPerkins who is pleasantly surprising me

Just saw a nice piece KSDK/Cusamano did on the two Luther Burden's from January 2019.  In it, it says Burden Sr. did graduate from SLU.  His playing career ended in 84-85; he was busted for selling cocaine to an undercover cop in 1987.  Got four years and did a year at Marion prison in Illinois.  Works two jobs ---- at WalMart and at Jewish Hospital.  Keeping Jr. on the straight and narrow.  Doesn't answer my question but it does provide some context ---- and great old time film from games at the old Kiel.

newberry indeed played at BAC now known as SWIC.   

i love it anytime we talk david burns.   he was fun to watch.   of course those of us there got premium seating as we would have a couple of hundred fans at those games at the checkerdome/arena.    the student section was me, bay area and maybe another 3 or 4 guys.   

those were the days.   ekkertime!!

I was still sneaking in on my SLU Id.

bay/roy:  did Burns have a jump shot?  I do not recall given his speed to the basket.  And with no three-point line, he had to have more than just layup drills, right?

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I was still sneaking in on my SLU Id.

bay/roy:  did Burns have a jump shot?  I do not recall given his speed to the basket.  And with no three-point line, he had to have more than just layup drills, right?

Burns had a mid-range game, pull up jump shot, a bit unorthodox looking. Burns was a year behind Kelvin Henderson. Once Special K’s eligibility expired, Ekker’s best offense was the North Carolina Dean Smith 4 Corners, clear outs for Burns driving to the hoop.

Was Becton a JUCO? Or was he a freshman on Burn's senior squad?  I know he was originally from Memphis but now I am questioning if he was a JUCO or not.  He only has two years of stats but I recall him transferring out before he graduated.

No, Willie Becton and Darryl Anderson were freshmen starting forwards on the ‘80-‘81 team, started with Senior Guard David Burns, Junior Center Bob Mueller, and Soph Guard LaTodd Johnson. Becton transferred to Memphis State after Ekker’s last year, ‘81-‘82. Anderson and LaTodd remained at SLU when Rich Grawer assumed command.