Tools Update

ACE

I was flipping around last night to catch No. 1 Baylor and saw Ramey play for the first time this year. He look completely over-matched. Looking at his season game log, he has done ok against poor competition, but done very little in games against good competition.

And Mickey Pearson's TCU squad was on another channel at the same time getting absolutely destroyed by Tech. Earlier in the season TCU considered pulling his redshirt because their depth was so poor, but he has stayed on redshirt. The kid just turned 20 and hasn't played a college basketball game yet.

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

I was flipping around last night to catch No. 1 Baylor and saw Ramey play for the first time this year. He look completely over-matched. Looking at his season game log, he has done ok against poor competition, but done very little in games against good competition.

And Mickey Pearson's TCU squad was on another channel at the same time getting absolutely destroyed by Tech. Earlier in the season TCU considered pulling his redshirt because their depth was so poor, but he has stayed on redshirt. The kid just turned 20 and hasn't played a college basketball game yet.

So he is on for next year?  Let’s hope granny can make it another year. 

This made me curious about how some other players SLU recruited, but did not land, from the TF era were doing. Please let me know if I'm missing anyone we recruited heavily,:

• Jason Jitoboh (Florida) – Playing limited minutes for a decent Gators team. Will probably turn out to be a serviceable center, but I think we’d all take Jimmy Bell at this point.
  • Torrence Watson (Missouri) – Averaging 5.2ppg and 1.5rpg, shooting 28% from three. Disappointing start to his career to say the least.
  • Jared Rhoden (Seton Hall) – Averaging 9.2ppg and 6.7rpg on a very good squad. Would have been a really nice addition to our current group, though I’m not so sure we would have still recruited Perkins if we had Rhoden.
  • Tim Finke (Wright State) – Averaging 3.5ppg at Wright State after transferring from Grand Canyon. His whole career since HS has taken a weird path.
  • Thomas Allen (NC State) – Scored 9.2ppg as a sophomore at Nebraska last year. He transferred to NC State after a coaching change at Nebraska. I think he would’ve done really well in the A-10.
  • Matt Turner (Marist) – Getting an inefficient 9.1ppg through 9 games at Marist. I believe he transferred from Santa Clara, where he played a limited role as a freshman. Doesn’t seem like a big miss.
  • Anthony Mack (N/A) – Transferred to Miami after never playing a game for Wyoming. Had a decent freshman season for the Hurricanes playing spot minutes. Has since transferred away but I couldn’t find out where he landed. Weird.
  • E.J. Liddell (Ohio State) – Hasn’t dominated for OSU, but gets plenty of minutes and has had a couple of big games. He will be an All-Conference player in the Big Ten someday.

Overall there aren't too many big misses, unless I'm missing people (which I surely am). I would have loved to have landed Allen to join the French/Goodwin class. 

almaman and majerus mojo like this

How is Courtney Ramey a tool?

SLU never recruited him.  It was communicated very very early in the process that he had no interest.  At best we made a token offer.  No resources wasted.

26 minutes ago, thetorch said:

How is Courtney Ramey a tool?

SLU never recruited him.  It was communicated very very early in the process that he had no interest.  At best we made a token offer.  No resources wasted.

While I don't condone the calling of players who spurn Saint Louis University "tools" (because it's euphemistic for fools), perhaps Ramey is viewed by SLU fans with disdain because he's a high-level St. Louis-area player who felt like SLU wasn't a place worthy of his time.  I can't blame them.

10 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

While I don't condone the calling of players who spurn Saint Louis University "tools" (because it's euphemistic for fools), perhaps Ramey is viewed by SLU fans with disdain because he's a high-level St. Louis-area player who felt like SLU wasn't a place worthy of his time.  I can't blame them.

I have always believed the posters on this site use the tool term being silly and fun about a recruit that goes to another school.

I am sure there are a few that mean it the way you point out in your post but that is the minority.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I have always believed the posters on this site use the tool term being silly and fun about a recruit that goes to another school.

I am sure there are a few that mean it the way you point out in your post but that is the minority.

I know that everyone won't agree with me, but I feel that there are some words for which you can't legitimately separate them from their historical connotation for some other intent (e.g., the N-word).