O.T. Aquarium and no fudge?

BLIKNS

13 minutes ago, davidnark said:

The Wheel is way more impressive than I expected. I found the Aquarium to be massively underwhelming, particularly for the cost. I have been to several of the major aquariums in other cities, and the one at Union Station is like Single A minor league ball compared to the Majors. It would literally need to increase its exhibits by at least 5 fold to compete with other urban aquariums. The good news is that there is plenty of space to expand it if they have the capital and desire to do so. 

What I have gathered is that the kids absolutely love the aquarium and most parents are “meh.” However, if you can afford it, spending the day at Union Station with your kids is great. There’s so much for them to do. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It's my understanding that our aquarium was never intended to compete with those (or Shedd in Chicago). 

I believe they also left room to expand down the road if the interest is there.  So the best thing we can do is support what we have.  

You are probably correct the problem is at $25 it is a bit high - the Shedd I think is $30 plus you have to pay for other things once in.  Not sure how ours is set up in this way or not.

48 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

What I have gathered is that the kids absolutely love the aquarium and most parents are “meh.” However, if you can afford it, spending the day at Union Station with your kids is great. There’s so much for them to do. 

Build-A-Bear is moving its headquarters to one of the office buildings behind Union Station, and I believe they've opened a store there too.  Smart move on their part.  

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I seen the aquariums in Chattanooga, Atlanta and New Orleans. All them I thought were pretty good, especially Chattanooga. Are those the ones you comparing them with? 

Good ?  I loved Chattanooga’s. Only other one I’ve been to is Chicago’s. Slightly OT went to Johnny Morris’s museum in Branson. Highly recommend. 

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

This photo, taken a little over a month ago, will give you an idea of how Ballpark Village has filled in.

x5XYJRV.jpg

The Onelife building is a little underwhelming.  While a nice looking building, its a little annoying seeing a brand new building in the heart of downtown be built at just 3 stories. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The Onelife building is a little underwhelming.  While a nice looking building, its a little annoying seeing a brand new building in the heart of downtown be built at just 3 stories. 

I'm more disappointed in the height of the office building, but I suppose that's (sadly) a reflection of the lack of demand for office space.

2 hours ago, davidnark said:

The Wheel is way more impressive than I expected. I found the Aquarium to be massively underwhelming, particularly for the cost. I have been to several of the major aquariums in other cities, and the one at Union Station is like Single A minor league ball compared to the Majors. It would literally need to increase its exhibits by at least 5 fold to compete with other urban aquariums. The good news is that there is plenty of space to expand it if they have the capital and desire to do so. 

Haven't been yet but a few of my friends also found it underwhelming. I think that can be attributed to a few things: 1) People shouldn't compare it to Shedd or Atlanta's aquarium. As Box and Won said, it was never meant to compete with the big boys; and 2) We are so used to paying $0 for local attractions I'm sure people are expecting something to blow them away for the $20 entrance fee (or however much it costs). Personally, I find aquariums super depressing (particularly if there are dolphins) because the animals are super depressed but I've got kids so I'm sure we'll head down there at some point this year. I've heard all of the other attractions are really cool. It's pretty exciting to have Union Station showing a pulse once again.

TheChosenOne likes this

Hey guys, kinda off topic, but since we're talking about new stuff they're putting downtown, what do you guys think of the apartments they're putting next to BPV. I'm ALL FOR anything that helps revitalize the city, but I'm not sure I'd want to live right next to the stadium, and If I remember right, they're charging an arm and a leg. But I think I also heard they were filling up fast. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts were.

12 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Hey guys, kinda off topic, but since we're talking about new stuff they're putting downtown, what do you guys think of the apartments they're putting next to BPV. I'm ALL FOR anything that helps revitalize the city, but I'm not sure I'd want to live right next to the stadium, and If I remember right, they're charging an arm and a leg. But I think I also heard they were filling up fast. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts were.

It wouldn't surprise me if a decent number of those units are used as second homes or rented by ballplayers.  

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It wouldn't surprise me if a decent number of those units are used as second homes or rented by ballplayers.  

That makes sense. 

7 hours ago, Box and Won said:

It's my understanding that our aquarium was never intended to compete with those (or Shedd in Chicago). 

I believe they also left room to expand down the road if the interest is there.  So the best thing we can do is support what we have.  

I used to have a membership to the Atlanta Aquarium. Came in handy when friends and family showed up. Also for Mother's Day they have a nice brunch which we did annually for a few years.

10 hours ago, davidnark said:

Aquariums are absurdly expensive.  The one in Atlanta cost $290 million and that was 15 years ago.  It would probably cost $400 million today.  Ours cost $45 million.

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Aquariums are absurdly expensive.  The one in Atlanta cost $290 million and that was 15 years ago.  It would probably cost $400 million today.  Ours cost $45 million.

I guess is is a matter of perspective. I obviously love sports, but sports stadiums are now costing in the billions for large football (or futball) stadiums and close to half a billion for our much smaller soccer stadium. At their core, sports stadiums are ultimately about entertainment and amenities. 

How much more of Union Station is not being used?   

I last went there to a wine tasting in the historic meeting room/ball room/bar area which overlooked the aquarium in the back.   

Is the hotel doing well?  I always see people in and around?

Glad to have a the aquarium, wheel, mini-golf and life in that part of the downtown.   With the new soccer stadium - thing will be even better.  

With that said, still find it a shame that we cannot use a portion of Union Station for Amtrak and Greyhound which has one of the dumpiest facilities around.   Every other major city still uses their train station - at least in part, for a train station.

Spoon-Balls likes this

On 2/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, Box and Won said:

Im sure a lot will be used as airbnb too. 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, Box and Won said:

A friend of mine who works in the Cardinals org told me that  players are leasing some of the nicer units in. Also said that local businesses are leasing units.

55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im sure a lot will be used as airbnb too. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they put language in the lease the prohibits any leasee from renting it out via AirBnB, VRBO, Home Away, etc.

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

A friend of mine who works in the Cardinals org told me that  players are leasing some of the nicer units in. Also said that local businesses are leasing units.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put language in the lease the prohibits any leasee from renting it out via AirBnB, VRBO, Home Away, etc.

Prob true, for now at least 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

How much more of Union Station is not being used?   

I last went there to a wine tasting in the historic meeting room/ball room/bar area which overlooked the aquarium in the back.   

Is the hotel doing well?  I always see people in and around?

Glad to have a the aquarium, wheel, mini-golf and life in that part of the downtown.   With the new soccer stadium - thing will be even better.  

With that said, still find it a shame that we cannot use a portion of Union Station for Amtrak and Greyhound which has one of the dumpiest facilities around.   Every other major city still uses their train station - at least in part, for a train station.

It's used for excursions from STL to Chicago and back.

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Have you been to the multimodal transportation center that was built a few years ago for Amtrak and Greyhound?  I've never been in it, but it looks like it's okay.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, cheeseman said:

You are probably correct the problem is at $25 it is a bit high - the Shedd I think is $30 plus you have to pay for other things once in.  Not sure how ours is set up in this way or not.

Shedd is 40 for non-residents.

I’m really looking forward to checking it out some weekend. I don’t find 25 bucks overpriced but then again I’ll only be paying for the wife and myself not a family of 5.