Time To Leave The A10

mrjoelabs

On 2/9/2020 at 12:17 AM, mrjoelabs said:

The jobbing these refs did today, on Has especially, has to be an all time worst. So tired of these corrupt A10 refs.  They stole that game from us today. Made it a totally different ballgame.  All to protect Dayton's seed.  Incredible.... I don't know where wed go but there has to be a better conference..

I have friends who are Dayton fans and they thought they got jobbed by the refs in the first meeting at Chaifetz.  Bad officiating is in the eye of the beholder.  Good teams, like Dayton this year, overcome bad officiating and find a way to win.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

You first.

hoosier pal hasnt complained like the rest of us.   he is entitled to the above moment imo.

SLU_Lax likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hoosier pal hasnt complained like the rest of us.   he is entitled to the above moment imo.

There's an easier solution to his complaint.... if you are tired of people complaining about refs, sign up for no more complaints by click the X (pictured below) in the top right corner of your screen.

image.png.f15cf2a6a5521af72922cdcaa5262ff1.png

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

You first.

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Thanks Billiken Roy. No you won't find me criticizing the refs (all that much). [Yes, French's 5th foul should have been on Perkins.  The refs could and for me should have called illegal screens on about half of the screens set - on both teams- in the Dayton game....so there you go!  ]   But this is a public forum, so whatever makes people feel good if okay.  

Brighton, been there, done that.  I officiated both volleyball and baseball maybe 15 years ago.  It was at what would now be called the club level.  But the pay and grief weren't worth it even back then.  And frankly I wasn't very good. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks Billiken Roy. No you won't find me criticizing the refs (all that much). [Yes, French's 5th foul should have been on Perkins.  The refs could and for me should have called illegal screens on about half of the screens set - on both teams- in the Dayton game....so there you go!  ]   But this is a public forum, so whatever makes people feel good if okay.  

Brighton, been there, done that.  I officiated both volleyball and baseball maybe 15 years ago.  It was at what would now be called the club level.  But the pay and grief weren't worth it even back then.  And frankly I wasn't very good. 

There's a huge shortage of basketball refs at the youth level in St. Louis due to the crap they take from coaches and fans/parents. The first few years I was a pretty loud obnoxious coach to the refs. ( I know those of you who know me will find that a little hard to believe) I'd get 3-4 technical's  a year. It didn't take me long to figure out it doesn't help. Constant complaining won't generally hurt or help with a very good ref as they don't care they'll just call what they see. With a lesser ref it won't help and it might just hurt as you piss them off and they let that get in the way. I haven't had a technical in about 8-10 years and I coach about 40 games a year. I've found that I now probably get the better end of calls as most the officials know me and we have a good rapport. It's much more effective to just quietly mention any thing you have to say to them during a timeout or halftime or even when they are near you on the court. Just speak in a normal tone and respectfully. I also don't allow my players to speak to or react to a call the ref made. In fact many times I will support the ref while talking to the player backing up the call. It helps the kid and it lets the ref know you're on the same page. I think you also have to realize just because you see it one way, it doesn't mean you are right. Maybe they had a better angle, maybe they had a bad angle and couldn't see what you saw. I rarely mention any individual call, it's pointless.

It is my understanding you can't just go straight to HS games. You have to I guess I'd call it mentor with someone and then get evaluated.  You'll get freshman games and continue to get evaluated and moved up to Varsity games. If anyone would like to officiate ( I think it's about $25 a game in the main youth league and you can probably get as many games as you want on the weekends) I can put you in touch with someone who can help you get started. You can possibly even take some younger kid's games before you are certified. 

billiken_roy and HoosierPal like this

Obi Travelin' taking 1 step from half court, pass to himself is fine.  Only way that play works legally is if he throws it off the backboard to himself from half court.

Not a travel or a carry or a double dribble in the A-10, at home, for Dayton, and Obi Travelin'.

What a piece of sh!t.

11 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Obi Travelin' taking 1 step from half court, pass to himself is fine.  Only way that play works legally is if he throws it off the backboard to himself from half court.

Not a travel or a carry or a double dribble in the A-10, at home, for Dayton, and Obi Travelin'.

What a piece of sh!t.

Sorry Jimbo but he hadn't dribbled yet. He can throw the ball ahead, chase it down and still dribble. It's not a travel or a double dribble. 

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Sorry Jimbo but he hadn't dribbled yet. He can throw the ball ahead, chase it down and still dribble. It's not a travel or a double dribble. 

he threw a pass to himself.  so in the context of a game, these are all legal basketball plays? obirated.

3 hours ago, jimbofive said:

he threw a pass to himself.  so in the context of a game, these are all legal basketball plays? obirated.

If he hasn't already taken his dribble, he can throw it and chase it down and continue with a dribble. If he was currently dribbling he could flip the ball forward or over an opponent, catch up to the ball and continue his dribble as long as his hand doesn't carry the ball. A player can even recover a shot that doesn't hit backboard or rim after he's picked up his dribble if the official deems it was an actual shot. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If he was ours we'd be reposting that play every once in a while like the Concklin screen video.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, dlarry said:

I don’t think the refs are purposely favoring Dayton I think the refs are incompetent and are easily influenced by a home crowd.

There is definitely something to this.  KenPom tracks foul disparities between conference home games and conference road games (https://kenpom.com/hca.php?s=RankPFadv).  9 of the 14 A-10 teams are in the top 100 in terms of home / road foul disparity (over the last 60 home and road conf. games for each school).  13 of 14 are in the top 150 with only Davidson outside the tops (perhaps because they just don't foul very much anywhere).

Here are the rankings

3. SLU -5.2 (I think this means that SLU's "foul margin" or SLU fouls - opponent fouls is 5.2 better at home than on the road)

8. Dayton -4.9

18. George Mason -4.5

56. UMass -3.9

57. VCU -3.9

58. St Joes -3.8

61. Bona -3.8

69 LaSalle -3.7

85. Rhody -3.5

120.0 Fordham -3.1

139 Duquesne -2.9

145 Richmond -2.9

149 GW -2.9

260. Duquesne -1.5

There are 353 DI teams.  If A-10 officials weren't more susceptible to home influences than your average official, you'd expect the A-10 teams to be more evenly disbursed across the rankings.

When I was a senior in high school, I was given a whistle and stiped shirt and told to ref a frosh game with another HS.  It didn't take long to figure out how hard it was.  I think the other ref was a classmate too.  We finished the game with no problems from the coaches, so I guess we did a decent job.  Parents didn't come to freshman games back then so we didn't have any outside pressure like now.

At SLU I reffed a intermural game.  A frat vs. another frat.  A guy took a swing at me and missed after I called a fowl on him.  My reacion was to swing back and I caught him right below his eye.  That was the end as far as I remember.  I saw him 30 years later at an alumni pre game party when the Bills were out here.  He reminded me of that incident and told me he almost got kicked out of school because of it.  I had totally forgot about him and was glad it didn't ruin his young life.  

I still hollar at the refs when I'm at a game, but poliely now.

HoosierPal and RUBillsFan like this

16 minutes ago, sonoma bob said:

When I was a senior in high school, I was given a whistle and stiped shirt and told to ref a frosh game with another HS.  It didn't take long to figure out how hard it was.  I think the other ref was a classmate too.  We finished the game with no problems from the coaches, so I guess we did a decent job.  Parents didn't come to freshman games back then so we didn't have any outside pressure like now.

At SLU I reffed a intermural game.  A frat vs. another frat.  A guy took a swing at me and missed after I called a fowl on him.  My reacion was to swing back and I caught him right below his eye.  That was the end as far as I remember.  I saw him 30 years later at an alumni pre game party when the Bills were out here.  He reminded me of that incident and told me he almost got kicked out of school because of it.  I had totally forgot about him and was glad it didn't ruin his young life.  

I feel sorry for that turkey!

1 hour ago, sonoma bob said:

Excuse me sir, I believe you may have inadvertently missed that travel call. If you don't mind my saying so, I think you are not fully competent to do this job. With all due respect, this league seems to have nothing but blind morons reffing the games. Have a pleasant evening!

I had a good-hearted Billiken fan politely ask me one game "how much do you think the refs get paid for this." It was a response to me screaming  "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE REF!" at the top of my lungs at the freaking bald ref that always seems to f us.  I said something like, "probably not enough," because he looked and sounded like the patchouli stinking, Tim Robbins, conflict resolution guy from the movie "High Fidelity."  

4 hours ago, sonoma bob said:

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I feel sorry for that turkey!

@sonoma bob, that dodo probably could have avoided the fight if he flipped you the bird instead of throwing a punch.