Time To Leave The A10

mrjoelabs

I feel like Jordan and Hassahn are constantly penalized  because they're physically stronger than just about everyone, and they're effort guys, not finesse guys.  It's like they should be able to fight through just about any foul, but they are not afforded the same consideration when they are defending. 

mrjoelabs and Littlebill like this

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing my tune a little bit.  Obi Toppin might be just a huge, protected pu$$y.

3 times last year, all in A-10 play, no fouls called.  5 times this year, including yesterday.

What do all 8 of those miraculously clean games by Obi Toppin have in common?  ALL 8 WERE HOME GAMES.

Over his career, Toppin has averaged 2.4 fouls per game in 27 road games.  He's averaged 1.3 fouls per game in SweaterVest Arena.

Pathetic.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Did I mention anything about an A10 conspiracy anywhere? Please let me know where I mentioned this. I was talking about individuals and the fact that these guys are not paid that much and may, just may, need more income. Is this a case that never happens to anyone anywhere? Are people free of temptation? Do people not fall for it? Are we not all, yes you included, sinners one way or the other? Why can this not happen ever, under any circumstances? You think the refs sense of duty and honor is that high and their standards so pure that this just cannot happen? What world do you live in?

Are you becoming old conspiracy theorist guy?? This is Alex Jones level logic.  Sure this is all possible but not that likely.  You could make the same argument about college basketball players and ask all the same questions.  Make sure you buy your Patriot Seeds from Infowars.com before they come for you.

2 hours ago, Band Legend said:

I feel like Jordan and Hassahn are constantly penalized  because they're physically stronger than just about everyone, and they're effort guys, not finesse guys.  It's like they should be able to fight through just about any foul, but they are not afforded the same consideration when they are defending. 

This is what it is and why we always struggle against the little guys. 

1 hour ago, jimbofive said:

Changing my tune a little bit.  Obi Toppin might be just a huge, protected pu$$y.

3 times last year, all in A-10 play, no fouls called.  5 times this year, including yesterday.

What do all 8 of those miraculously clean games by Obi Toppin have in common?  ALL 8 WERE HOME GAMES.

Over his career, Toppin has averaged 2.4 fouls per game in 27 road games.  He's averaged 1.3 fouls per game in SweaterVest Arena.

Pathetic.

And if they didn't call anything else but moving or hipcheck screens he'd be averaging 9 fouls a game. Someone needs to plant him about 4 rows deep. 

cheeseman likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

If the Beast folks weren't so GD arrogant they'd take both SLU and Dayton. The add one more E. Coast team for a 14 team league. The MW division would be X, Butler, Creighton, MU, DePaul, SLU, and Dayton. 

The East div would have Nova, Prov, St John's, GU, UConn, SH, and take your pick of RI, VCU, Rich, Duq, or Davidson. 

Simple. Problem solved. What a conference. Could get like 8-9 teams dancing. Lot of rivalries, new big markets. Reduce expenses for non revenue sports. All good schools academically. 

Maybe they enjoy having the traditional round robin schedule where everyone plays everyone home and away.

It would be cool to have an annual home schedule that included X, Butler, Marquette, Creighton, in addition to Dayton...plus Nova, Seton Hall, etc every other year...but we'd struggle to go .500 in that league, and you can forget about winning the conf tournament.

Sure, we could recruit at a higher level but not at the level of the conference elite. I mean, we struggle to do much better than .500 in the effing A10, how are we going to do in the Big East?

Programs that were a lot more successful than SLU before joining the reformed Big East (Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown) don't make the tournament as regularly as they used to because the competition within the conference so fierce and someone needs to finish in the bottom half.

Bottom line: It'd be great if it happens, but it won't really make getting into the NCAA tournament any easier.

Spoonball18 likes this

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

To claim that the refs are taking money under the table with out any evidence is just crazy.  This topic of leaving the A10 is becoming like the MVC dead horse.  You want the refs to protect you then become the Dayton.  

Asking for a fair whistle is not the same as asking for protection.  Five fouls on French and zero fouls on Toppin who hip checks five times a game? C'mon man.

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Asking for a fair whistle is not the same as asking for protection.  Five fouls on French and zero fouls on Toppin who hip checks five times a game? C'mon man.

-in the NCAA Tourney I want A10 schools to advance but if SVU runs into an officiating crew that calls moving screens SVU may run out of players by halftime, that was my main beef with the calls on Saturday 

cheeseman likes this

17 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Maybe they enjoy having the traditional round robin schedule where everyone plays everyone home and away.

It would be cool to have an annual home schedule that included X, Butler, Marquette, Creighton, in addition to Dayton...plus Nova, Seton Hall, etc every other year...but we'd struggle to go .500 in that league, and you can forget about winning the conf tournament.

Sure, we could recruit at a higher level but not at the level of the conference elite. I mean, we struggle to do much better than .500 in the effing A10, how are we going to do in the Big East?

Programs that were a lot more successful than SLU before joining the reformed Big East (Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown) don't make the tournament as regularly as they used to because the competition within the conference so fierce and someone needs to finish in the bottom half.

Bottom line: It'd be great if it happens, but it won't really make getting into the NCAA tournament any easier.

I'll take our chances on better recruitment. Especially locally. Can u imagine the interest in having us playing the likes of X, Butler, MU etc 2xa season. Then bringing in teams like Nova, GU, etc every other season. That alone would increase our local profile and possibly keep at home local 4-5 star players. I can see us competing very favorably with MW recruits as well. 

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'll take our chances on better recruitment. Especially locally. Can u imagine the interest in having us playing the likes of X, Butler, MU etc 2xa season. Then bringing in teams like Nova, GU, etc every other season. That alone would increase our local profile and possibly keep at home local 4-5 star players. I can see us competing very favorably with MW recruits as well. 

When the NBE took UConn, which was completely against its business model, I gave up on that dream. 

HoosierPal and cheeseman like this

They Big East seemed to be happy having 11 teams, so a 20 game conference schedule...   Should the A-10 go with the trend of a 20 game conference schedule???

9 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

They Big East seemed to be happy having 11 teams, so a 20 game conference schedule...   Should the A-10 go with the trend of a 20 game conference schedule???

we have to dump 3 teams to accomplish that. I don't see that happening.

Having a home/away has its advantages especially when comes making the seeding more equitable for the season ending conference tourney. I don't think we ever got Fordham in a home and away,  

Just for information on refs, North Carolina remains livid on the non-call that gift wrapped a Duke victory over UNC. 

Butler Coach Jordan, when asked what he thought about the refs in the Big East, simply responded,

Jordan replied:  “I’ve got three technical fouls in Big East play. That might tell you how I feel.”  The game headline in the Indy Star read "Jordan Lavell Unhappy with Refs". 

Arkansas had 4 players foul out in their OT loss to Missouri. Fans wanted blood.

The refs are no better in any other league.

AGB91 likes this

22 hours ago, Band Legend said:

This is 100 percent accurate. And to the users who somehow marked this is a "troll post" when it was not negative on the bills and generated 2 pages of comments, can the mods please address them. I am really tired of the user bias here.   This was a frustration post, a frustration all die hard bills fans felt. We were totally robbed in that game. If Has isn't taken out we win or at least go OT. 

21 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Pathetic.

Same thing here...thank you. 

I still think adding a team to make 15 , go to 3 - 5 team divisions , play division twice, everyone else once..18 game schedule... Now who to invite?  Need to add Western , Wichita State would have be great, but just went to AAC, but who knows could want away from football power. Perhaps Loyola ( Chicago) or Belmont ( Nashville ) market...So say Loyola , SLU, Dayton, Duquense,  and St. Bonaventure,    then Richmond, VCU, George Mason, GW, and Davidson.  Other division Rhode Island, UMass, Fordham, St. Joe's and LaSalle.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Butler is in the Big East and have yet to sign any top 50 players.  And there are even more top 50 players in Indiana, on average, than there are in Missouri.  They're losing out to blue bloods and near bluebloods, same as we are.  The last 3 blue chippers out of StL who chose to go elsewhere chose Duke, Kentucky and UNC.  

If we can just win the battle for top 150 recruits against KState we can be a legitimate contender for the conference title every year in the A10.  After we establish a winning culture, then sure, the Big East would be a great fit.  But winning isn't going to magically happen because you move to a better conference.

Billiken Rich likes this

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Butler is in the Big East and have yet to sign any top 50 players.  And there are even more top 50 players in Indiana, on average, than there are in Missouri.  They're losing out to blue bloods and near bluebloods, same as we are.  The last 3 blue chippers out of StL who chose to go elsewhere chose Duke, Kentucky and UNC. 

Just information, but Butler did 'recruit' Jordan Tucker to transfer over from Duke.  Depending on which service you pick, he was Top 50 in High School. But Tucker has shown to be a good role player, and only started 4 times this season as now a Junior.  These recruiting services don't bat 1.000.  His main attribute is 37% three point shooter, but he doesn't defend or rebound all that well.  And no, they don't get very many recruits at all from Indy. They have three from central Indiana on the roster, including GT Derrick Smits.

Speaking of Derrick Smits, the GT from Valpo, several on this board wanted Ford to go after him.  Yes he was hurt early one, but his 10 mpg, 3 ppg, 1.9 rpg  are pretty much what we are getting from Jimmy Bell.  I'd rather have Bell getting those minutes for us than Smits.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-in the NCAA Tourney I want A10 schools to advance but if SVU runs into an officiating crew that calls moving screens SVU may run out of players by halftime, that was my main beef with the calls on Saturday 

I don’t even mind if they call them or not.

What bothers me is that they call them for one team and not the other.

I don’t care if they suck at their job as long as they consistently suck.