GDT Obi Floppin and the Boyz

Littlebill

2 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

Why don’t you go back and read the post I WAS RESPONDING TO and see who brought up politics!  I have no reason or desire to bring up politics but when the poster said what he did I will respond how I prefer to.

Was it a different spoonball18 that posted this yesterday? Sorry to have to correct you while you were so confident you didn't start it.
image.thumb.png.d05ef261df0f166a3f816ecf587f144c.png

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, billikenbill said:

Here's the compressed version of the game I watched, if anyone's interested. 

Hard to get a complete picture of how our guys played but it seemed that most everyone played better than they have been. It was the Dayton road game last year where the Bills started to put it together. Hoping for more of the same this year. Final thought, refs sucked.

I didn't count those where he set moving screens but the defender went around it without any contact (which obviously isn't a foul)

Moving screens at:

:32

6:04

6:32

7:45

7:53

8:44

9:13

12:45

14:36

18:43

19:17

19:58

20:58

21:22

22:17

22:25

24:06

dlarry and RUBillsFan like this

Bell is a freshman who is outperforming expectations, has a lot of promise, and has a lot to work on - especially finishing strong at the basket. All of these things can be true at the same time.

I was at the Dayton game in the SLU section (408, top corner). Some observations:

-The officiating from where we sat looked really bad, especially in the first half ( @TheChosenOne was with me, rewatched the game last night, and confirmed). The one that got us the most was the tripping foul called on French before a media timeout that somehow turned into free throws coming out of the break. Of course Crutcher hit both. I don't need to rehash others, just underlining the fact that the calls were bad even from the nosebleeds and that Toppin indeed seems like a protected player (he has four fouls in the past five games! Some of this is just the way he plays because he doesn't like contact at either end, but come on.). The A10 might be able to get a 1-seed this season. I'm not a conspiracy minded person at all but the incentives are all pretty obvious here.

-This year was the first year of the final product for UD Arena. It seemed pretty much like last season, just minor touches since then. It's nice, especially compared to the building as it was 3+ seasons ago. I'm sure there were structural reasons that prevented them from doing so, but the hallways get really narrow in the corners and it gets jammed right before and after games. But they did about as well as they could without having to build a new arena.

-SLU's section was smaller than in previous years. I don't know why - maybe they wouldn't give us as many seats due to higher demand this season? Anyway, the group we had was loud and a lot of fun.

-I could see Toppin being a good NBA player. He has the athleticism and skill set to get there and in the right circumstances he could have a solid career. The biggest knock on him that we talked about was that he doesn't create much for himself in a half-court offense. He'll get free for a three-pointer every once in a while and he finishes when he's open in space but he doesn't do much in the post - or at least hasn't against us.

-When we were walking out, some guy turned to my friend and yelled "How long is the drive back to Ferguson?" in a mocking tone. He picked the wrong guy to call out and clearly wasn't prepared for the backlash he got, but what a weird thing to say. I guess he was trying to be racist? Just a troll? I don't know. I haven't had many issues with Dayton fans overall but there's always one, whether at Chaifetz or their place, who manages to be a gross weirdo.

-If things break the way we think they will roster-wise, Dayton is going to have a hard time against us next season. Toppin will go pro, Landers graduates, and 8th-year player Ryan Mikesell will finally be gone. We don't know what they have with their freshmen - we never see them - and I don't know much about the three guys they've signed. They'll have a large senior class (Crutcher, Watson, Tshimanga, Matos, Chatman) and Crutcher has always killed us, but on paper that overall roster doesn't scare me at all.

-The A10 Game of the Week is this Tuesday, when Dayton hosts Rhode Island. UD has won 12 straight, and URI has won 10 in a row.

19 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

I RESPONDED.  Say what you want, but I responded to the post that talked about “evil rhetoric” from our commander in chief.  Fauk that!  I didn’t start it.

Then just keep doing what you're doing. I think you'll find the board enjoyable. 

32 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I didn't count those where he set moving screens but the defender went around it without any contact (which obviously isn't a foul)

Moving screens at:

This is @Pistol level of outstanding obsessive work. Bless you. 

13 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

Well I certainly won’t sit and allow somebody to compare being critical of a certain aspect of a player’s game to what they consider to be hate speech.  Just sayin. 

It's funny the guy that gets on people for not being able to take a little criticism doesn't take criticism very well. Honestly, I'm out with you on the subject. I'll consider this a fresh start. You keep doing what you're doing if you like. it's obviously your call. 

48 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Moving screens at:

So if you bet OVER 7.5 you were correct!

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It's funny the guy that gets on people for not being able to take a little criticism doesn't take criticism very well. Honestly, I'm out with you on the subject. I'll consider this a fresh start. You keep doing what you're doing if you like. it's obviously your call. 

#fakenews

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Bell is a freshman who is outperforming expectations, has a lot of promise, and has a lot to work on - especially finishing strong at the basket. All of these things can be true at the same time.

I was at the Dayton game in the SLU section (408, top corner). Some observations:

-The officiating from where we sat looked really bad, especially in the first half ( @TheChosenOne was with me, rewatched the game last night, and confirmed). The one that got us the most was the tripping foul called on French before a media timeout that somehow turned into free throws coming out of the break. Of course Crutcher hit both. I don't need to rehash others, just underlining the fact that the calls were bad even from the nosebleeds and that Toppin indeed seems like a protected player (he has four fouls in the past five games! Some of this is just the way he plays because he doesn't like contact at either end, but come on.). The A10 might be able to get a 1-seed this season. I'm not a conspiracy minded person at all but the incentives are all pretty obvious here.

-This year was the first year of the final product for UD Arena. It seemed pretty much like last season, just minor touches since then. It's nice, especially compared to the building as it was 3+ seasons ago. I'm sure there were structural reasons that prevented them from doing so, but the hallways get really narrow in the corners and it gets jammed right before and after games. But they did about as well as they could without having to build a new arena.

-SLU's section was smaller than in previous years. I don't know why - maybe they wouldn't give us as many seats due to higher demand this season? Anyway, the group we had was loud and a lot of fun.

-I could see Toppin being a good NBA player. He has the athleticism and skill set to get there and in the right circumstances he could have a solid career. The biggest knock on him that we talked about was that he doesn't create much for himself in a half-court offense. He'll get free for a three-pointer every once in a while and he finishes when he's open in space but he doesn't do much in the post - or at least hasn't against us.

-When we were walking out, some guy turned to my friend and yelled "How long is the drive back to Ferguson?" in a mocking tone. He picked the wrong guy to call out and clearly wasn't prepared for the backlash he got, but what a weird thing to say. I guess he was trying to be racist? Just a troll? I don't know. I haven't had many issues with Dayton fans overall but there's always one, whether at Chaifetz or their place, who manages to be a gross weirdo.

-If things break the way we think they will roster-wise, Dayton is going to have a hard time against us next season. Toppin will go pro, Landers graduates, and 8th-year player Ryan Mikesell will finally be gone. We don't know what they have with their freshmen - we never see them - and I don't know much about the three guys they've signed. They'll have a large senior class (Crutcher, Watson, Tshimanga, Matos, Chatman) and Crutcher has always killed us, but on paper that overall roster doesn't scare me at all.

-The A10 Game of the Week is this Tuesday, when Dayton hosts Rhode Island. UD has won 12 straight, and URI has won 10 in a row.

luv "8th year player"

4 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This isn’t really that strong of a take, but to be successful in the NBA Obi will need to add at least another level to his game. He’s good and is very athletic, but every NBA team likely has at least one guy with his size and athleticism, or close to it. Therefore, he’ll need to add some polish to his game to have a decent NBA career. 

Did you watch him against Kansas?  Obi plays bored in the A10.  He is light years ahead of anyone in our league.  I think the board is seriously downgrading his potential.  I think he has an All NBA ceiling, something the A10 hasn't seen in decades.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Did you watch him against Kansas?  Obi plays bored in the A10.  He is light years ahead of anyone in our league.  I think the board is seriously downgrading his potential.  I think he has an All NBA ceiling, something the A10 hasn't seen in decades.

Agreed, he's been a force in both games against us. The only knock against him as a prospect (in my opinion) is that he'll be 22 by the time of the draft, older than most of the other lottery picks he'll be compared to.

41 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He needs to be paired up with the right point guard.  I can see him doing damage as a pick and roll guy.  His rebounding is just average for an NBA power forward.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He needs to be paired up with the right point guard.  I can see him doing damage as a pick and roll guy.  His rebounding is just average for an NBA power forward.

I think you are right. I don’t understand how a guy his size and with his athleticism doesn’t rebound well 

1 hour ago, NH said:

Agreed, he's been a force in both games against us. The only knock against him as a prospect (in my opinion) is that he'll be 22 by the time of the draft, older than most of the other lottery picks he'll be compared to.

Obirated.  How the sh!t is he turning 22 already!?  Must be a friggin' moron.  How many Summer '18 credits does he have, 36?

5 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

One thing to keep an eye on. The Warriors have been to a couple Dayton practices this year already. If he goes to the Warriors, he would be such a nice fit at the 4 for them. He'd have a ton of open looks and would put up some really good numbers. 

The Warriors scout was sitting down from us at the Dayton game here.

52 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think you are right. I don’t understand how a guy his size and with his athleticism doesn’t rebound well 

Its always been my belief rebounding is mainly effiort and positioning.   There is a reason Goodwin is a world class rebounder and tyoically 6 inches shorter then everyone under the basket.   Obi needs to see the light and want to rebound.