GDT Obi Floppin and the Boyz

Littlebill

On 2/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, billikenbill said:

Here's the compressed version of the game I watched, if anyone's interested. 

Hard to get a complete picture of how our guys played but it seemed that most everyone played better than they have been. It was the Dayton road game last year where the Bills started to put it together. Hoping for more of the same this year. Final thought, refs sucked.

Can someone make a compressed video of all 139 illegal screens from that game? All you would have to do is edit out SLU's offensive possessions.  

Box and Won likes this

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, dennis_w said:

JBJ has been a point of derision since he arrived on campus.

I gotta jump in here and say, maybe so with a few MBM's.  But in my practice report before the first open practice, I was RAVING about JBJ's potential and what a specimen this guy is.    That's mainly because the coaching staff was raving, but my eyes almost popped out of my head when I first began watching him.  Here's a kid who could play OT in the SEC. Wait till he has a couple more years to sculpt his body -- and actually, he is far better now than I thought he'd be.  ps: this is after about 3-4 months of a season.  Bigs take more time, normally; but Jimmy is right on schedule.  As for easy putbacks (JBJ ) or Yuri as a "turnover machine: wow. That's Debbie Downer-level stuff. These are true freshmen.  They are not NBA lottery picks.  Extend a little grace and patience...

On a more general note: I really think ragging on scholarship athletes the way some observers do is pretty weak.  Perhaps unconscionable; and possibly, to draw upon our Great Leader's soaring rhetoric: evil & sick.  Anyway, defending our kids now: get a life. They do read this board, btw, from what I gather...

27 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I gotta jump in here and say, maybe so with a few MBM's.  But in my practice report before the first open practice, I was RAVING about JBJ's potential and what a specimen this guy is.    That's mainly because the coaching staff was raving, but my eyes almost popped out of my head when I first began watching him.  Here's a kid who could play OT in the SEC. Wait till he has a couple more years to sculpt his body -- and actually, he is far better now than I thought he'd be.  ps: this is after about 3-4 months of a season.  Bigs take more time, normally; but Jimmy is right on schedule.  As for easy putbacks (JBJ ) or Yuri as a "turnover machine: wow. That's Debbie Downer-level stuff. These are true freshmen.  They are not NBA lottery picks.  Extend a little grace and patience...

On a more general note: I really think ragging on scholarship athletes the way some observers do is pretty weak.  Perhaps unconscionable; and possibly, to draw upon our Great Leader's soaring rhetoric: evil & sick.  Anyway, defending our kids now: get a life. They do read this board, btw, from what I gather...

Bell is ahead of where Ian Vouyoukas was as a freshman, without nearly as much playing experience.  I'm not sure what some people were expecting.

Billiken Rich likes this

28 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Doc. I also give you credit for saying Perkins was the real deal. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Doc. I also give you credit for saying Perkins was the real deal. 

Thanks for recalling -- yes, what we are seeing now in games was happening a lot of the time in practices.  ps: I asked my friends at the game the other day, but when was the last time a Billiken scored 27 in a half??? or -- if ever??  I'd be curious to know... bc Javonte did it already.  I totally expected him to score a lot, but at times he looks even better than I expected.  I'm talking Alex English type stuff;  and I'm not saying he will be a pro like English, but his game reminds me of him--and he actually resembles him a little...

3-star -- yes: what do people expect? and why?? I'm thrilled with the progress of these kid, esp. Yuri & JBJ. Jimmy gets offensive boards bc he is literally immovable.  Like an oak tree, with very long arms.  Way ahead of IV or any other freshman big since I've been here.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Those knocking Jimmy Bell will be kissing his arse by the time he leaves SLU. This is a kid who was the 3rd string C on his prep squad for cripes sake. The kid mad a commitment to shed 70lbs thru hard work and sticking to a rigid diet. He deserves some slack and a boatload of respect. 

I fully expect he will work his arse off and continue to improve. Go Jimmy ring that Bell! 

Already great at the line. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Jimmy Bell may very well turn out to be a great player for us but his shooting of layups is about on par with French's FT shooting at least at this point.

when the game slows down for him, with experience, those shots will drop. Jimmy is going to be a problem in the coming years 

There is something going on that JBJ plays well against really strong opponents. He's struggled against lesser competition generally and played up to the level of some strong bigs. Given he's a freshman, I'll take it 100 times out of 100. Surprised he's only hit 20 minutes 3 times so far this year. And those 3 games are 3 of the better team games we've had. 

27 min @ Richmond - 10 pts 4 reb (season high points)

25 min vs Auburn -  9 pts 6 reb

26 min @ Dayton - 4 pts 8 reb (season high rebounds)

13 min vs Seton - 8 pts 4 reb

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

There is something going on that JBJ plays well against really strong opponents. He's struggled against lesser competition generally and played up to the level of some strong bigs. Given he's a freshman, I'll take it 100 times out of 100. Surprised he's only hit 20 minutes 3 times so far this year. And those 3 games are 3 of the better team games we've had. 

27 min @ Richmond - 10 pts 4 reb (season high points)

25 min vs Auburn -  9 pts 6 reb

26 min @ Dayton - 4 pts 8 reb (season high rebounds)

13 min vs Seton - 8 pts 4 reb

That’s because better teams also tend to be bigger teams which require more minutes from Jimmy. Those four games above probably feature the four best big men we’ve played. 

Littlebill likes this

26 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Jimmy Bell may very well turn out to be a great player for us but his shooting of layups is about on par with French's FT shooting at least at this point.

Yeah, Vouyoukas had the same problem as a freshman.  As he gets in better shape, he'll be quick enough off the ground to finish more of those bunnies.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:16 AM, thetorch said:

Toppin is really good.  He'll add another 20 lbs in the league and will be a borderline all star.

This isn’t really that strong of a take, but to be successful in the NBA Obi will need to add at least another level to his game. He’s good and is very athletic, but every NBA team likely has at least one guy with his size and athleticism, or close to it. Therefore, he’ll need to add some polish to his game to have a decent NBA career. 

6 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This isn’t really that strong of a take, but to be successful in the NBA Obi will need to add at least another level to his game. He’s good and is very athletic, but every NBA team likely has at least one guy with his size and athleticism, or close to it. Therefore, he’ll need to add some polish to his game to have a decent NBA career. 

Obi gets a lot of his highlight reel dunks off of run outs. He isn’t that great facing the basket and is okay back to the basket in the post, we saw him defended well by Perkins, Bell and French respectively. 

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

There it is!  We knew it was Trump’s fault.  My Lord have mercy on us all!  So you can’t make a critical comment (even though he can be praised in the same post) without it being “evil and sick rhetoric “.   I believe Bernie should propose making ANY negative comment against the law.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Obi gets a lot of his highlight reel dunks off of run outs. He isn’t that great facing the basket and is okay back to the basket in the post, we saw him defended well by Perkins, Bell and French respectively. 

Agreed. I keep thinking that if he’s so good, UD should be able to just feed him inside over and over. They don’t do that though from what I’ve seen. I’ve mentioned before that I think Crutcher is the key to that team because he’s good in his own right offensively, but also is how Obi gets the ball.

I’m interested to see how UD-URI goes. Can Fatts Russell disrupt Crutcher enough to cause UD problems, and if so, can the rest of the UD roster pick up the slack?

Bizziken likes this

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Agreed. I keep thinking that if he’s so good, UD should be able to just feed him inside over and over. They don’t do that though from what I’ve seen. I’ve mentioned before that I think Crutcher is the key to that team because he’s good in his own right offensively, but also is how Obi gets the ball.

I’m interested to see how UD-URI goes. Can Fatts Russell disrupt Crutcher enough to cause UD problems, and if so, can the rest of the UD roster pick up the slack?

One thing to keep an eye on. The Warriors have been to a couple Dayton practices this year already. If he goes to the Warriors, he would be such a nice fit at the 4 for them. He'd have a ton of open looks and would put up some really good numbers. 

Interesting how all kinds of negative comments are ok when it’s about Obi Toppin who will likely be a lottery pick, but all Hell breaks loose if there is a negative comment about JGood, Bell, or Yuri.  Yeah, it’s a SLU forum but can’t we be realistic and understand we all want the Bills to be the best they can be?  Criticism is not evil.

7 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

There it is!  We knew it was Trump’s fault.  My Lord have mercy on us all!  So you can’t make a critical comment (even though he can be praised in the same post) without it being “evil and sick rhetoric “.   I believe Bernie should propose making ANY negative comment against the law.

My man, there are more important things in the world than this dead horse you continue to beat. Not everything needs to be brought back to politics/participation trophies/political correctness.

Maybe check out a different website. It's clear politics is on your mind a lot, maybe check out a political forum or maybe even  https://www.seniorforums.com/

Bills71 and SLU_Lax like this

33 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

Bell played really well.  I just don’t get people who believe that having a negative comment means a player is being bashed.  Stop it with the participation trophy mentality!  

You know this board has been here for about 20 years and many of have been posting that long. 

It's certainly ok to criticize but realize your on a site full of die hard fans who love their team and players. There are all sorts of personalities, some people bash everything over the top, some people are clueless, some people defend everything and everybody regardless, some people are very knowledgeable and post both good and bad. Being a relatively new poster without a lot of posts you might find hanging around awhile and getting to know other posters before you start telling people how to act would be nice. Just a thought. 

And please leave the politics off the board. 

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You know this board has been here for about 20 years and many of have been posting that long.  Maybe hanging around awhile and getting to know other posters before you start telling people how to act would be nice. But I know, being nice makes one a snowflake.

It's certainly ok to criticize but realize your on a site full of die hard fans who love their team and players. There are all sorts of personalities, some people bash everything over the top, some people are clueless, some people defend everything and everybody regardless, some people are very knowledgeable and post both good and bad. Being a relatively new poster without a lot of posts you might find hanging around awhile and getting to know other posters before you start telling people how to act would be nice. Just a thought. 

Out of reactions but well stated.......

13 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

My man, there are more important things in the world than this dead horse you continue to beat. Not everything needs to be brought back to politics/participation trophies/political correctness.

Maybe check out a different website. It's clear politics is on your mind a lot, maybe check out a political forum or maybe even  https://www.seniorforums.com/

Why don’t you go back and read the post I WAS RESPONDING TO and see who brought up politics!  I have no reason or desire to bring up politics but when the poster said what he did I will respond how I prefer to.

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You know this board has been here for about 20 years and many of have been posting that long. 

I RESPONDED.  Say what you want, but I responded to the post that talked about “evil rhetoric” from our commander in chief.  Fauk that!  I didn’t start it.