GDT Obi Floppin and the Boyz

Littlebill

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Who is he going to guard at the next level? He can’t guard French. If he plays the 5 he’ll get bullied by guys like Embiid and Gobert. At the 4 he’s not good enough to keep up with LeBron or Siakim 

I understand your point and agree that the current version of Obi may struggle on D in the NBA.  However, successful NBA players develop a ton when they get into the league and using 4 of the very best in the NBA as examples of who Obi won’t be able to guard is silly.  Most other NBA players have trouble guarding those 4.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obi looked a little disinterested yesterday in my opinion.  At the beginning of the year against Kansas he looked like he was out to prove to all the pundits he was the best player on the floor.  Remember that step back 3 look away and then glare at the KU bench? 

Yesterday he just kind of coasted and let other guys do enough to beat us.  Even with like 6 mins left, Obi was joking around and smiling at Goodwin over a put-back.  

Dayton is just running out the clock waiting for the dance imo 

19 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Horrible foul call against Yuri. This league is a joke.

Just now seeing the highlights so apologizing ahead of time for the rehash. Ref had to be on the take to make a call like that. Complete incompetence and should be banned from ever officiating again, even the age 6-8 league. 😡

19 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

That turnover and missed bunny by Bell was a dagger

Collins hit in the face, no call, and Bell misses at the buzzer. Crushing end to the half.

58 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Obi looked a little disinterested yesterday in my opinion.  At the beginning of the year against Kansas he looked like he was out to prove to all the pundits he was the best player on the floor.  Remember that step back 3 look away and then glare at the KU bench? 

Yesterday he just kind of coasted and let other guys do enough to beat us.  Even with like 6 mins left, Obi was joking around and smiling at Goodwin over a put-back.  

Dayton is just running out the clock waiting for the dance imo 

They better not be.

if that’s their attitude RI will smack them in the mouth and take their conference title and number 1 conference tourney seed.

Here's the compressed version of the game I watched, if anyone's interested. 

Hard to get a complete picture of how our guys played but it seemed that most everyone played better than they have been. It was the Dayton road game last year where the Bills started to put it together. Hoping for more of the same this year. Final thought, refs sucked.

10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

So damn obvious. WTF is going on with A-10 officiating. Just a sad joke.

The greatest revenge this team can have is to rally and dig deep, win the A10 tournament, go in as a 13 seed and and take our chances.  
This team is very capable of a run, but could go out in the first round.  Hopefully this game, along with getting hosed on officiating will propel them to a good brand of ball to close out the season.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand your point and agree that the current version of Obi may struggle on D in the NBA.  However, successful NBA players develop a ton when they get into the league and using 4 of the very best in the NBA as examples of who Obi won’t be able to guard is silly.  Most other NBA players have trouble guarding those 4.

Agreed. Obi will be successful regardless of his defense because he can shoot from the outside. 

15 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

That SVU fans are reportedly reading this board and are concerned with what we have to say is a form of flattery, even if they don’t realize it.  It is also a sign of insecurity.

Anyone halfway objective saw what happened today.  That the great Obi “Moving Screen, et al.” Toppin played 34 minutes without a single personal foul being called on him is a modern marvel, not the following of queen's court rules.

On Perkins last drive of the game, Obi fouled Perkins more so than French fouled Crutcher on frenchs 5th foul.  Of course not called.

25 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Agreed. Obi will be successful regardless of his defense because he can shoot from the outside. 

His release of his three point shot is low,  he needs his release above his head like KD.  Perhaps it will change.  In D 1 he will get the time and space not so much in NBA

22 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yes. And Hopefully he gets better.

he likely will, jimmy bell didnt cost them the game, turnovers the biggest cause of the loss, but it seems we have to throw in the bash jimmy bell post from time to time, i guess he should have been the second coming of moses malone and some posters would still find fault

slufanskip and BIG BILL FAN like this

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

he likely will, jimmy bell didnt cost them the game, turnovers the biggest cause of the loss, but it seems we have to throw in the bash jimmy bell post from time to time, i guess he should have been the second coming of moses malone and some posters would still find fault

Yea, I'm confused by the Jimmy Bell hate by a few posters. However, I think most posters realize what he currently brings to the court and have high hopes for what kind of player he can become. 

Honestly, we just have some casual fans who really have very little understanding of the game. Someone during the game day thread wrote Yuri is a t/o machine. He had 2 t/o's in 32 min. He's averaging 31 min a game and 3 t/o's a game. Sometimes I wonder wtf are people watching or wtf do they expect? 

dennis_w and Billfan7 like this

45 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yea, I'm confused by the Jimmy Bell hate by a few posters. However, I think most posters realize what he currently brings to the court and have high hopes for what kind of player he can become. 

Honestly, we just have some casual fans who really have very little understanding of the game. Someone during the game day thread wrote Yuri is a t/o machine. He had 2 t/o's in 32 min. He's averaging 31 min a game and 3 t/o's a game. Sometimes I wonder wtf are people watching or wtf do they expect? 

-with this and other lunacy I've added a few to Ignore, expecting it will be a better experience for me

3 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I think “bashing” or “hate” is a little strong.  Just because someone says a particular player made a mistake, doesn’t mean they are being bashed.  Bell played a nice game and made huge strides, but that missed layup at the end of the half was huge.  Even Earl addressed that on the post game show.  The announcers commented on how many turnovers Yuri has had (but still complimented his game).  It’s beyond belief how society has gotten to the point where anything other than the highest praise is considered bashing.  

1 minute ago, Spoonball18 said:

I think “bashing” or “hate” is a little strong.  Just because someone says a particular player made a mistake, doesn’t mean they are being bashed.  Bell played a nice game and made huge strides, but that missed layup at the end of the half was huge.  Even Earl addressed that on the post game show.  The announcers commented on how many turnovers Yuri has had (but still complimented his game).  It’s beyond belief how society has gotten to the point where anything other than the highest praise is considered bashing.  

JBJ has been a point of derision since he arrived on campus. So bashing is not too strong. every player misses shots, but in some posters eyes jimmy's misses are worst. i read the threads and my conclusion is that he is being bashed. just my opinion. I didnt read any post where he was praised for his 5 offensive rebounds, only his mistakes.

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

JBJ has been a point of derision since he arrived on campus. So bashing is not too strong. every player misses shots, but in some posters eyes jimmy's misses are worst. i read the threads and my conclusion is that he is being bashed. just my opinion. I didnt read any post where he was praised for his 5 offensive rebounds, only his mistakes.

That was a HORRIBLE miss at the end of the half, but I think he played some very good minutes!  There.  That’s a positive post but I even criticized him.  This is the way life used to be before everyone started getting their feelings hurt.  Perhaps Coach Ford should stop yelling at the mistakes we make and instead, bring the team together in a group hug.  Mean words are hurtful and filled with hate.  Sticks and stones may break my bones but a negative comment about someone is straight from the Devil himself and will not be tolerated.

5 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

The announcers were idiots then. He had 2 turnovers. I guess maybe I just don't get it and is 2 is a lot for a pg., especially a pass first pg. I'd like to see him be at a 2/1 assist to t/o ratio and he's at about 1.75/1 right now. However I will also add if we shot better he'd probably be closer to that 2/1 ratio. I would also guess that as he gains experience he'll get up near 2.5/1 

I'm critical when I think it's deserved. Took quite a bit of heat for saying I was disappointed with JGood last year. Was pretty critical of Perkins shot selection early this year. It's the exaggerated critical that I don't like. 

dennis_w likes this

1 hour ago, Spoonball18 said:

There were a lot of layups missed in that game.

Those knocking Jimmy Bell will be kissing his arse by the time he leaves SLU. This is a kid who was the 3rd string C on his prep squad for cripes sake. The kid mad a commitment to shed 70lbs thru hard work and sticking to a rigid diet. He deserves some slack and a boatload of respect. 

I fully expect he will work his arse off and continue to improve. Go Jimmy ring that Bell!