NIT 2020

14 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

We’re at 17 wins right now what’s it going to take to make the NIT? BTW I still think we have a shot at the NCAAs if we can go 7-1 down the stretch 

omg why are you doing this. 

FYI like 20 wins gets us there

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Well id say this thread is relevant at this point. We are almost at the point where we can’t  lose too many more games or we won’t make the NIT either. 

It's not relevant until the Bills are eliminated from the A-10 Tournament.

rgbilliken, meerkat and Old guy like this

Dayton was eliminated in the first round of the NIT last year.  Now they are a top 5 team.  I understand if people just want to watch additional NIT games because they're basketball fans but it has no bearing on our performance next season. 

Next season is next season.  Hopefully our youngsters get better over the summer and Jimerson and Thatch are both ready to go at the start of the season.  Anything the incoming class can give us will be a bonus.

This season has been enjoyable even with our erratic play.  Lots of good things have happened so far.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Dayton was eliminated in the first round of the NIT last year.  Now they are a top 5 team.  I understand if people just want to watch additional NIT games because they're basketball fans but it has no bearing on our performance next season. 

Next season is next season.  Hopefully our youngsters get better over the summer and Jimerson and Thatch are both ready to go at the start of the season.  Anything the incoming class can give us will be a bonus.

This season has been enjoyable even with our erratic play.  Lots of good things have happened so far.

Out of reactions but good post and couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly.  I would add: enjoyable, with a few clunkers.  And missing 2 of our top 6 players.  I'd be happy with a run in the NIT and maybe we could even host a game at Chaifetz against a decent team.  Some pretty big names are on the bubble this year: off the top of my head, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Georgetown, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi State, etc.

Most know this, but the NIT is not easy to get into anymore.  If you win your regular season conference, then lose out in your leagues tourney, you have an automatic spot in the NIT.  Last season 10 teams got in this way leaving only 22 openings.  The last two "at large NIT bids", were to Wichita State at NET 83 and San Diego at NET 97.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Most know this, but the NIT is not easy to get into anymore.  If you win your regular season conference, then lose out in your leagues tourney, you have an automatic spot in the NIT.  Last season 10 teams got in this way leaving only 22 openings.  The last two "at large NIT bids", were to Wichita State at NET 83 and San Diego at NET 97.

I was worried the UMass loss would knock us off the NIT bubble.  We're still at 78 NET so it seems like we're still very much on it.

I believe the NIT also excludes teams with losing records, so that helps us out in terms of lower level power conference teams (potentially Iowa State, Washington, OK State, DePaul, Mississippi, Mizzou, Georgia Tech) not taking spots.

I'm not sure an easy way to tell with 2019 NET rankings, but it looks like the lowest rated KenPom team with a winning record to not make the NIT were San Francisco at 67 and Fresno State at 71.  SLU is currently 91 in KenPom and for reference San Diego was at 90 in 2019.  That makes our current position look more precarious than the NET would indicate.

*Please SLU win the A10 tournament and make this post moot.*

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I believe the NIT also excludes teams with losing records, so that helps us out in terms of lower level power conference teams (potentially Iowa State, Washington, OK State, DePaul, Mississippi, Mizzou, Georgia Tech) not taking spots.

I'm not sure an easy way to tell with 2019 NET rankings, but it looks like the lowest rated KenPom team with a winning record to not make the NIT were San Francisco at 67 and Fresno State at 71.  SLU is currently 91 in KenPom and for reference San Diego was at 90 in 2019.  That makes our current position look more precarious than the NET would indicate.

Yeah, last NIT, Butler had the worst record as 16-16.  Here is my resource.

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit.html

31 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was worried the UMass loss would knock us off the NIT bubble.  We're still at 78 NET so it seems like we're still very much on it.

*Please SLU win the A10 tournament and make this post moot.*

I thought they did away with the losing record rule

57 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Forgot about this, so there are even fewer "at large NIT bids".  So count on maybe only 16 to 18 getting in after these qualifiers.  But of course these first 4 out would be in the NIT regardless.

The first 4 teams out of the NCAA tournament become automatic 1 seeds in the NIT.