Crutcher Broke Our Season

mrjoelabs

2 hours ago, almaman said:

That's truly delusional.

You win that game and at worst you have your one marquee win.  Chances are you may have a better chance of beating Davidson if for no other reason Davidson knew the Billikens may be reeling after that tough loss.  Momentum is a real thing.  Even if you lose to David’s and the Dukes last night, you still have that one big win to draw from and possibly help come selection Sunday—-assuming you don’t just collapse.  Yes that was a big shot.  Possibly a season turning shot.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I understand your pattern of only showing up when times are bad and making outlandishly negative statements. 

probably one of those people who say, "i win at blackjack 90% of the time i play"

8 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

6 Seconds left in OT....6 seconds from the best win in the Ford era and finally breaking through. Then that damn shot goes down.

Since then, 2 losses to decentish teams, and 3 wins over absolute dogs, 2 of them just barely.  

Imagine if that shot didn't fall....

We’re still losing some of these games. We’re seeing that we were never quite as good as our record indicated (especially since Jimerson went down). We’ve won a lot of really close games vs bad teams and if a couple of those shots fall differently, we could have 2-3 more losses. There’s a reason our KenPom/Sagarin was never that good. We’re not one of the top 50 teams in the nation, we’re probably closer to 80-90

Crutcher's shot at the end was a killer but we had that game won until all of a sudden Dayton started to hit 3s late in the game and we stopped scoring.  Everything that has happened after that loss is now only our fault for letting it get into our heads.  Don't blame someone else for what you can control.

billiken_roy likes this

11 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Had Crutcher missed that shot, we would have one (1) more win.

One more win that the selection committee would weigh very heavily.  There’s no way to know how that one game may have helped but at least we would have a marquee win on the resume.  I’m sure Davidson was glad to be playing us after that kind of loss rather than a huge win.  They had to imagine that loss was still in our heads and easily could have given them a bump.  Bottom line is we pretty much have to win out.  If we can get wins over VCU and Dayton, we still may have to at least get to the A10 Championship game to have a legit shot at a NCAA berth.  Winning out is probably as unlikely as winning the automatic berth.  

We are what we are; a middle of the pack A10 team. We have struggled all thru the conf schedule except for, surprisingly, a road W over a good Richmond team.

The A10 is really strong this year w/ the top teams having more experience, deeper talent, and good coaches. It's going to be a struggle the rest of the way given we've got to face the top 3 teams and our old nemesis, The Bonnie's, who have seemed to have found themselves. 

Not many of us expected us to be a dance team this year, and unless we can pull off another miracle in Brooklyn, we won't be. Accept it, like the majority of us did in October, we're a year away, hopefully. This isn't a toss in the towel post, but the results, so far, speak for themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Where is KC? Still hurt? If he doesn’t play later this season he is wasting a scholarship ala Welmer

I think the writing's on the wall for Hankton. He was filler when we took him, and now he's not even that. I'd be surprised if he's on the roster next year. 

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Where is KC? Still hurt? If he doesn’t play later this season he is wasting a scholarship ala Welmer

You mean our stretch 4 who hasn't hit a single 3 all season (I know, I'm being too harsh.... he is injured and has a very small sample size for this season..) But even if he was healthy, I wouldn't count on KC fixing our problems...

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We are what we are; a middle of the pack A10 team. We have struggled all thru the conf schedule except for, surprisingly, a road W over a good Richmond team.

The A10 is really strong this year w/ the top teams having more experience, deeper talent, and good coaches. It's going to be a struggle the rest of the way given we've got to face the top 3 teams and our old nemesis, The Bonnie's, who have seemed to have found themselves. 

Not many of us expected us to be a dance team this year, and unless we can pull off another miracle in Brooklyn, we won't be. Accept it, like the majority of us did in October, we're a year away, hopefully. This isn't a toss in the towel post, but the results, so far, speak for themselves. 

Lot of good points here...but Richmond is not good. This team (for all its faults) hammered them on the road. I am starting to subscribe to the "this team is a year away" thinking I tried to put out of my head. 

2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

We’re still losing some of these games. We’re seeing that we were never quite as good as our record indicated (especially since Jimerson went down). We’ve won a lot of really close games vs bad teams and if a couple of those shots fall differently, we could have 2-3 more losses. There’s a reason our KenPom/Sagarin was never that good. We’re not one of the top 50 teams in the nation, we’re probably closer to 80-90

The beauty of college basketball.  Even if you’re not the greatest team you have a shot at making the dance.  It’s a real shame injuries and illness will likely curb a magical run in the A10 tournament.  It would be a huge bump for the program to make a second straight NCAA tournament with these guys coming back next year for a good chance at being a high level mid-major and a 3rd straight tournament.

We are what our records says we are. We have a good team. Duquesne has a better team. Their wins were no fluke. They should be a tournament team. They have more talent and are well coached. Another shooter and another good front line player would get us past them, but we don't have that. This team is better than I thought they would be and are both fun and maddening to watch. Go Bills!

As said above, I didn't think this was a tournament team at the start of the season due to all of the new pieces.  Ford welded them together into a team faster than I thought he could.  Jimerson and Perkins and even jacobs were a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting much from this year.  Losing Jimerson takes us from a top 40-50 team to a top 80-90 team.