GDT: Duquesne, Act II

Taj79

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Duquesne does a better job of defending us than Dayton does.

You are a lot higher on Duquesne than I am. 

SLU got worked and it was embarrassing. I love this team but the way they played with the season “on the line” essentially is just really disappointing. All things considered it’s been a good year though. 

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

I don't care about names.  I care about matchups.  I see ranked teams struggle against middling teams in their conference because of matchups.  Happens all the time.

It happens all the time because there’s 350 teams. We match up well, yes, but they have more talent and on the road. 

RiseAndGrind likes this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It happens all the time because there’s 350 teams. We match up well, yes, but they have more talent and on the road. 

I love 3 star but in no world is it acceptable for SLU to constantly be getting killed by the F’n dukes. There’s just no excuse I will accept

They played great D on us tonight. Even when they crammed the paint they still managed to get out in the face of our shooter(s). They have our number and it ain’t pretty. 

on our end defensively, every time we switched to zone we seemed to give up wide open shots. When we played man our guys ended up switched in to horrible matchups.

nothing went right. They kicked our a$s and now we are what we all thought at the beginning of the season. A team with a chance in the A10 tournament and hope for a NIT birth outside of that. That said; Go Bills!!

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I love 3 star but in no world is it acceptable for SLU to constantly be getting killed by the F’n dukes. There’s just no excuse I will accept

Then keep on keeping on. for any observant MBM they are a better team than us. That coach has brought them out of the basement much like Grawer did for us.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

We do not match up well against Duquesne and I think they are a better team than the consensus on here has been giving them credit for. I think they've proved they're better than us.

This team does not have enough people that can shoot a basketball. Every team that comes in here seems to shoot the lights out. We...do not.

I've become numb to the quality of officiating we've come to expect in the A-10 but tonight was wretched. I never appreciated how good we had it in the Great Midwest/Conf USA days until we joined the A10. Did I mention, tonight was wretched?

I really hope to never see Hightower at point guard again. Ever.

Last nights game was in one word  "disappointing".  Our defense was porous and I am sure there are lots of reasons why this happened but the bottom line is this was a game we needed and we did not show up.  Ford was so pissed off he did not do the post game show.  Bailey did it and he just came out and said our kids did not show tonight.  Those are strong words from a coach and I am sure that is what Ford told them in the locker room.  They will not be looking forward to practice is my guess.

The runs we made in the second half were great but then we would just turn around and let them negate it each time.  I am sorry but I just don't understand why the team will not give the ball to Jacobson when he camps out in the corner for a 3.  He was the only other shooter on the floor and we just kept trying to get it inside.  

The Dukes just wanted this game more than us and that is unacceptable.  They won virtually all of the 50/50 balls it seemed and that is just an effort issue the same with them out rebounding us.  Like I said just a disappointing performance on our home floor..

8 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Weathers’ 2nd Half over the back uncalled mugging of Yuri Collins goes to the A10 Zebra Hall of Shame. 

I mean, we still got the ball. 

The lack of team defense is what is most concerning.  We don’t have any ability to help and recover.  So we choose to just not help.  

Aside from the first 98 seconds of the 2H, Duquesne looked like they were just running their offense against the scout team.  

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We struggle to defend and we can't shoot. Thatch and Jimerson are greatly missed but we need more than just them

This game falls on scouting and coaching. If you can’t figure out a way to at least slow down a team you just got torched by a month ago you’re not doing your job. Inexplicable switching to zone on a team that shoots 3s well, getting buckets pushing the ball but having the offense play in the half court.