GDT: Saint Joseph’s

6 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

stop comparing everything to Rick Majerus’ team. That was a once in a decade type of team he had. 
If KC doesn’t play again this year he should transfer or leave. We are wasting a scholarship on him. TJ is getting more playing time thankfully but he should have had more in the beginning. 
jimmy bell doesn’t need to start and we should have Perkins in to start games 

Actually it was a 3 times in a decade thing. 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

stop comparing everything to Rick Majerus’ team. That was a once in a decade type of team he had. 
If KC doesn’t play again this year he should transfer or leave. We are wasting a scholarship on him. TJ is getting more playing time thankfully but he should have had more in the beginning. 
jimmy bell doesn’t need to start and we should have Perkins in to start games 

Wrong again, Hargrove and Strickland will both have trouble getting on the court next season if Thatch and Jimerson return.  Hargrove will not play in front of Perkins, Thatch, Jimerson, Collins, Jacobs it is just a numbers issue.  When Perkins graduates or if Thatch cannot return next season then Hargrove will get more time.  When defense is needed it is going to be Thatch and do you really want Hargrove over Jimerson who hits 40 percent from the 3.  I want Hargrove out there and that will come his Junior and Senior seasons and will be a great transition from Perkins to Hargrove.

Bell will see playing time because of his size and he is a good substitute for French and you know why, because he starts and learns and gets better.

As for Bell, I am going with what Rammer told Billikenbill and I at Davidson. The whole staff is high on him. He's a gem in the rough and has the potential to be an all A10 player. He's behind because he didn't play much in HS, but once the coaching and confidence level kick in watch out for Jimmy Bell. Will it happen this year, no. But Rammer said the desire, talent, and commitment are there. He will be a player. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

As for Bell, I am going with what Rammer told Billikenbill and I at Davidson. The whole staff is high on him. He's a gem in the rough and has the potential to be an all A10 player. He's behind because he didn't play much in HS, but once the coaching and confidence level kick in watch out for Jimmy Bell. Will it happen this year, no. But Rammer said the desire, talent, and commitment are there. He will be a player. 

Hargrove, JBJ, Jimerson, and Yuri will be an all-time class

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bell isn't ready, Hargrove isn't ready, our backup shooting guard is 5'10, our best two players are a liability at the free throw line and yet ... we're 17-5.  The most unlikely season in Billiken history continues ....

And two of our top 7 have effectively been sidelined for the season 

cheeseman and slufanskip like this

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bell isn't ready, Hargrove isn't ready, our backup shooting guard is 5'10, our best two players are a liability at the free throw line and yet ... we're 17-5.  The most unlikely season in Billiken history continues ....

Some might say this was, statistically speaking of course.

1 Tue, Nov 22, 2005 REG   Eastern Illinois OVC W 69 45   1 0 W 1 Scottrade Center
2 Sat, Nov 26, 2005 REG @ Hawaii WAC L 64 82   1 1 L 1 Stan Sheriff Center
3 Wed, Nov 30, 2005 REG   Southern Illinois MVC W 56 42   2 1 W 1 Scottrade Center
4 Sat, Dec 3, 2005 REG @ Milwaukee Horizon L 71 82   2 2 L 1 U.S. Cellular Arena
5 Mon, Dec 5, 2005 REG   Jackson State SWAC W 69 53   3 2 W 1 Scottrade Center
6 Wed, Dec 7, 2005 REG @ North Carolina (23) ACC L 63 75   3 3 L 1 Dean Smith Center
7 Sat, Dec 10, 2005 REG @ Oakland Mid-Cont W 66 59   4 3 W 1 Athletics Center O'rena
8 Tue, Dec 13, 2005 REG @ Mississippi SEC L 64 77   4 4 L 1 C.M. Tad Smith Coliseum
9 Sat, Dec 17, 2005 REG   Kennesaw State A-Sun W 74 60   5 4 W 1 Scottrade Center
10 Thu, Dec 22, 2005 REG   Gonzaga (8) WCC L 57 60   5 5 L 1 Scottrade Center
11 Wed, Dec 28, 2005 REG   Chicago State Mid-Cont W 58 52   6 5 W 1 Scottrade Center
12 Fri, Dec 30, 2005 REG   Iowa Big Ten L 50 60   6 6 L 1 Scottrade Center
13 Tue, Jan 3, 2006 REG   St. Bonaventure A-10 W 60 58   7 6 W 1 Scottrade Center
14 Wed, Jan 11, 2006 REG @ George Washington (17) A-10 L 64 69 OT 7 7 L 1 Charles E. Smith Center
15 Sat, Jan 14, 2006 REG   Massachusetts A-10 W 50 48   8 7 W 1 Scottrade Center
16 Wed, Jan 18, 2006 REG @ Richmond A-10 L 54 65   8 8 L 1 Robins Center
17 Sun, Jan 22, 2006 REG @ Xavier A-10 W 59 54   9 8 W 1 Cintas Center
18 Wed, Jan 25, 2006 REG   Saint Joseph's A-10 L 39 54   9 9 L 1 Scottrade Center
19 Sat, Jan 28, 2006 REG   Fordham A-10 W 64 54   10 9 W 1 Scottrade Center

AGB91 likes this

10 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

Anything less than an NCAA tournament bid is a failure imo because we have shown the ceiling.  We can play with the Daytons and Auburns of college basketball.  Make no mistake about it, next year we are what Dayton is this year.

-that would be nice but who is our likely lottery pick and POY candidate? 

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

we won't have one, but we will have two of the best rebounders in the country, one of the best shooters in the country, and one of the best ball handlers and passers in the country, along with some pretty good depth...

jimbofive, HenryB, CBFan and 2 others like this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Wrong again, Hargrove and Strickland will both have trouble getting on the court next season if Thatch and Jimerson return.  Hargrove will not play in front of Perkins, Thatch, Jimerson, Collins, Jacobs it is just a numbers issue.  When Perkins graduates or if Thatch cannot return next season then Hargrove will get more time.  When defense is needed it is going to be Thatch and do you really want Hargrove over Jimerson who hits 40 percent from the 3.  I want Hargrove out there and that will come his Junior and Senior seasons and will be a great transition from Perkins to Hargrove.

Bell will see playing time because of his size and he is a good substitute for French and you know why, because he starts and learns and gets better.

Well said

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

We won’t have a Toppin but we’ll have 2 of the top 5 players in the conference.  French and Goodwin should each compete for POY and should both be 1st Teamers.  Yuri and/or Perkins will push for 2nd or 3rd team honors.  We should be deep at every position.  No reason we shouldn’t run the table next year. 

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, Fraz42 said:

We won’t have a Toppin but we’ll have 2 of the top 5 players in the conference.  French and Goodwin should each compete for POY and should both be 1st Teamers.  Yuri and/or Perkins will push for 2nd or 3rd team honors.  We should be deep at every position.  No reason we shouldn’t run the table next year. 

I think goodwin will be in the mix for CPOY and maybe even Perkins given he's been the best offensive player on our team for the last month and a half. However, there is a TON of talent returning to the A10 next year that you're over-looking.  Nobody is running the table next year and nobody is getting 4 players on all-conference teams in a 14 team A10. 

- Literally the entire Richmond team

- The entire DUQ team (less Steele who isn't a big piece)

- The entire Bonnies team

- MSS

- Crutcher/Ibi Watson

- Fatts/Martin from Rhody

- Grady

On 2/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, Fraz42 said:

Looks like French is playing a little hesitant now that he knows a double is coming.  He is best when he can attack across the lane and finish with his left (either jump hook or spin move).  I’d like to see him look to attack first then use his passing ability to look for others when/if the double comes. 

Without a midrange shot,  the defenses close down on him even more.  Most bigs can knock down a 10 footer, or fake the 10 footer and drive to basket. 
Even without Jimerson, if Yuri can average 10 ppg and if Weaver, Perkins and Jacobs continue shooting from the outside, then the collapsed defense becomes as much due to French’s one dimensional game as anything else. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not sure I would categorize this season as "unlikely." In the preseason prognostications threads, a lot of folks were quite optimistic about the fortunes of this year's team and have been pretty accurate about what this team was capable of. You were consistently less optimistic than many. So rather than the season being "unlikley", it just may simply be a case of you underestimating how good this team was going to be, while others were more accurate with their forecasts. It's ok. It happens.

22 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I think goodwin will be in the mix for CPOY and maybe even Perkins given he's been the best offensive player on our team for the last month and a half. However, there is a TON of talent returning to the A10 next year that you're over-looking.  Nobody is running the table next year and nobody is getting 4 players on all-conference teams in a 14 team A10. 

- Literally the entire Richmond team

- The entire DUQ team (less Steele who isn't a big piece)

- The entire Bonnies team

- MSS

- Crutcher/Ibi Watson

- Fatts/Martin from Rhody

- Grady

6 bid A10 next year

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not sure I would categorize this season as "unlikely." In the preseason prognostications threads, a lot of folks were quite optimistic about the fortunes of this year's team and have been pretty accurate about what this team was capable of. You were consistently less optimistic than many. So rather than the season being "unlikley", it just may simply be a case of you underestimating how good this team was going to be, while others were more accurate with their forecasts. It's ok. It happens.

They were optimistic based on having all our pieces.  We don't have two huge pieces and the free throw shooting has actually regressed.  And we're still 17-5.  That's incredible.

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

However, if you said we lose Jimerson who would be averaging 10 ppg on 40% from 3, plus Fred's contribution would be nil, how many of those predictions would have gone way down. I can tell you mine would have and I'm usually overly optimistic. 

17 hours ago, slufanskip said:

He had at least 2 but I think 3 if I remember correctly of his 6 3's from well beyond the arc. 2 others were coming off screen's and one was off balance coming off the screen. On one French was too far off the screener and couldn't close fast enough as he shot just past the screen. It's not like we were just giving him open looks at the 3 pt line. 

I understand your points but whether we were late in closing in on him or we just stayed back the end result is the same.  The last 3 he hit were beyond the arc but nobody had a hand in his face.  

When did it become the norm to expect every freshman to play right away?  If we expect that then how do you build a program.  When your seniors graduate who is there to take over?  Nobody just freshmen and a sophomore.or two.  We have to stop expecting this - we need to have juniors ready to take the leadership role over.  

CBFan likes this