GDT: Saint Joseph’s

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Yes, love his athleticism, enthusiasm and potential.  With this season's experience, hopefully 20 pounds of muscle this off-season ..... look for him to be a valuable member of the rotation next season.  And Jacobs, he's developing nicely as well.  With those two, Jimerson back, Thatch back, and the additions for next year (Strickland, JC or Grad big, point guard who can hit the 3) .... Wow, nice squad. 

OK, not expecting KC to be back.  Wish he would surprise me and develop into the shooting big we need, but just do not see it. Hoping he proves me wrong.  But that shooting Big must also be able to defend the other teams' bigs.  Don't see that happening either.

I had high hopes for KC, hope he gets healthy

Billboy1 likes this

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, almaman said:

He looked like one during the HS championship run. Back when NCAA still tried to pretend academics was important freshman weren't able to play. It's a pretty big leap from attending a high school like ESL especially when THJ was there (no state budget etc) to a 40k+ jesuit university. Still hoping it doesn't overwhelm him but his attitude sure looks like he's really enjoying it. Now if he has a Hankton summer and still 3rd guy off the bench next year we may have a problem.

“Hankton Summer” Good one!

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

When we trapped him  far out he had to give the ball up.  The problem was if you laid off him at the arc he then let it fly.  Ford was upset about something we weren't doing that he wanted.

He had at least 2 but I think 3 if I remember correctly of his 6 3's from well beyond the arc. 2 others were coming off screen's and one was off balance coming off the screen. On one French was too far off the screener and couldn't close fast enough as he shot just past the screen. It's not like we were just giving him open looks at the 3 pt line. 

51 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Yes, love his athleticism, enthusiasm and potential.  With this season's experience, hopefully 20 pounds of muscle this off-season ..... look for him to be a valuable member of the rotation next season.  And Jacobs, he's developing nicely as well.  With those two, Jimerson back, Thatch back, and the additions for next year (Strickland, JC or Grad big, point guard who can hit the 3) .... Wow, nice squad. 

OK, not expecting KC to be back.  Wish he would surprise me and develop into the shooting big we need, but just do not see it. Hoping he proves me wrong.  But that shooting Big must also be able to defend the other teams' bigs.  Don't see that happening either.

I'd prefer 10 lbs of muscle for THJ and more importantly, a much improved shot from 12-20 feet.  This year he is not an offensive threat from that range.  He needs to be next year if he wants significant  playing time, what with GJ and FT returning and adding Strickland, all of whom will be taking minutes at the SF (#3) spot.

43 minutes ago, bauman said:

I'd prefer 10 lbs of muscle for THJ and more importantly, a much improved shot from 12-20 feet.  This year he is not an offensive threat from that range.  He needs to be next year if he wants significant  playing time, what with GJ and FT returning and adding Strickland, all of whom will be taking minutes at the SF (#3) spot.

THJ needs to focus on his understanding of the game before any physical improvements 

I would be pleasantly surprised if Fred makes it back.

TJ has popped almost as much his freshman year as Jacobs has his sophomore year. TJ is in the same boat French and Goodwin are - they all desperately need a midrange jumper to open up their game. His game will come.

If TJ were physically limited, many would be singing about his endless motor and how he leaves everything on the court. Over the years, I have seen folks have endless patience with constrained players. The fact that he is a great athlete does not shorten his learning curve - it just means when he does get there he will have an amalgamation of skills that will allow him to play, at times, the 2,3,4,and 5 in a pinch.

3star_recruit likes this

7 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

TJ has popped almost as much his freshman year as Jacobs has his sophomore year. TJ is in the same boat French and Goodwin are - they all desperately need a midrange jumper to open up their game. His game will come.

If TJ were physically limited, many would be singing about his endless motor and how he leaves everything on the court. Over the years, I have seen folks have endless patience with constrained players. The fact that he is a great athlete does not shorten his learning curve - it just means when he does get there he will have an amalgamation of skills that will allow him to play, at times, the 2,3,4,and 5 in a pinch.

6'4" center? ...... he's not a Donnie Dobbs.  Do not see that.

37 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

The reason we have patience with some is because it is evident they are working hard.  Is the offense really that hard to grasp? Is defensive positioning really that hard to grasp? 

TJ came in during Perkins’ hot streak in the 2H and started arguing/asking(?) JP where he was supposed to go in the offensive set.  It’s February.  

I love TJ’s potential.  I expect to see a huge jump this summer now that he knows where he needs to focus.  Right now, as a fan I am frustrated with him on the floor. 

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

The reason we have patience with some is because it is evident they are working hard.  Is the offense really that hard to grasp? Is defensive positioning really that hard to grasp? 

TJ came in during Perkins’ hot streak in the 2H and started arguing/asking(?) JP where he was supposed to go in the offensive set.  It’s February.  

I love TJ’s potential.  I expect to see a huge jump this summer now that he knows where he needs to focus.  Right now, as a fan I am frustrated with him on the floor. 

Ford said after the game that Hargrove was playing out of position. That is what caused the confusion. He was playing the 5

Clock_Tower likes this

43 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Yes. We all hope Fred comes back - but this is not a broken bone which heals... I will be surprised if he returns  

Hargrove’s shooting mechanics are already there - see his FT shooting.  Mid-range and 3 point shooting will come. 

All he needs is more strength, more experience, defensive work in the offseason ... he will be special 

31 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Nick. Don’t be frustrated. TJ is not ready yet. Alot of offensive talent but more to learn - structured offense, half court schemes, positioning, play without the ball, work on setting and using picks - as well as alot of work on defense.  Plus, he is more forward than guard and therefore undersized  at 6’4”- especially playing center.  TJ not even off the bench if Thatch and Jimerson are healthy and each logging 30 mpg

I look at Hargrove a little like Mike McCall. Junior had a lot to learn, especially on D. But he made a big leap forward from his FR year to SO. Majerus benched him a lot his first year, although you could see he was a talent. He put in the work and became a solid defender, which you needed to be to play for Rick. Let's not be too hard on TJ as he probably came in even behind McCall as far as HS coaching. 

Clock_Tower likes this

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I look at Hargrove a little like Mike McCall. Junior had a lot to learn, especially on D. But he made a big leap forward from his FR year to SO. Majerus benched him a lot his first year, although you could see he was a talent. He put in the work and became a solid defender, which you needed to be to play for Rick. Let's not be too hard on TJ as he probably came in even behind McCall as far as HS coaching. 

-no, this is wrong, I guess Mike playing 30 minutes a game as a frosh under Coach Majerus is being benched a lot, just wrong, Majerus used to rave on McCall's high school coach (Terry Head who was one of the few people on earth bigger than Majerus) and how he had prepared McCall for the next level

4 hours ago, bauman said:

Yes, though I believe we would see a better shooter and more balanced offensive threat even this year if TJ played played 20 mpg and developed more confidence. TJ’s lack of playing time this year (now that Thatch is not playing, Jimerson is done, Hankton has been injured, Weaver is part time/injured) is more the result of his defense than anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-no, this is wrong, I guess Mike playing 30 minutes a game as a frosh under Coach Majerus is being benched a lot, just wrong, Majerus used to rave on McCall's high school coach (Terry Head who was one of the few people on earth bigger than Majerus) and how he had prepared McCall for the next level

Mike played 30 mpg because of Situation 1

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's crazy how expectations have changed for this team throughout the season. When this all started.... 7 new players..... I just wanted to "watch them develop" …...now even after losing Jimerson and Thatch I want the NCAA Tourney bid. I think that is a testament to this squad, even if they can be frustrating as hell sometimes. 

Anything less than an NCAA tournament bid is a failure imo because we have shown the ceiling.  We can play with the Daytons and Auburns of college basketball.  Make no mistake about it, next year we are what Dayton is this year.

stop comparing everything to Rick Majerus’ team. That was a once in a decade type of team he had. 
If KC doesn’t play again this year he should transfer or leave. We are wasting a scholarship on him. TJ is getting more playing time thankfully but he should have had more in the beginning. 
jimmy bell doesn’t need to start and we should have Perkins in to start games 

2 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

stop comparing everything to Rick Majerus’ team. That was a once in a decade type of team he had. 
If KC doesn’t play again this year he should transfer or leave. We are wasting a scholarship on him. TJ is getting more playing time thankfully but he should have had more in the beginning. 

We don't need to be spending money on Coach Ford, we have you.  Please contact AD May as soon as possible.

32 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Your right about the once in a decade kind of team... because next years team is in a different decade and will be a top 25 team

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Its right.  SLU72 is just mixing up the years.  McCall was really bad defensively and Majerus benched him hard sophomore year.  He didn't even play in at least 1 game.  By the end of the season his minutes were way up though after McCall decided to renew his efforts on the defensive end.