GDT: Saint Joseph’s

30 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's crazy how expectations have changed for this team throughout the season. When this all started.... 7 new players..... I just wanted to "watch them develop" …...now even after losing Jimerson and Thatch I want the NCAA Tourney bid. I think that is a testament to this squad, even if they can be frustrating as hell sometimes. 

My original prediction with Thatch and Jimerson was 25-6 and in hindsight was doable with those players because I think the team would be undefeated in conference with Thatch and Jimerson.

My hope is getting at least 4 more conference wins giving our team 21 wins and a winning 10-8 record in conference.  I think the team achieving those milestone with the best defender and shooter injured says a lot about our team and coach.

How exciting for myself as a Billiken fan to have back to back 20 division 1 win seasons it is a tribute to the players and coaching staff.

I wonder what other posters think of which team is better last season or this season?

The body of work points to this season.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

No . Re read what I posted. Y’all still justify him not starting. 

Javonte Perkins is filling the 6th Man, instant offense role, as a jump start after about 4 minutes.  Coach Rick Majerus had Cody Ellis in the same role.  John Havlicek had this role with the Boston Celtics.

Javonte Perkins and Cody Ellis before him are/were really among the Top 5 players on the team, like starters that don't actually start.

It makes no difference when a player plays in the game.  What matters is how many minutes total he plays.  Players would rather play 33 minutes a game then start and play 10.  The players know what is important and starting is not it - playing time is!

I would be stunned if Ford is yelling at the players about things they never talked about before the game - to think that is possible is just crazy.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

No . Re read what I posted. Y’all still justify him not starting. 

Yes, you think Perkins starts.  He doesn't.  You don't watch the games, you don't listen to the games, you probably don't even look at recaps, or you would know.

This is Team Blue.  Results matter, not who starts.  Listen to what Perkins has to say on his role.  Listen to what Ford says on how he rotates his players. Or just continue with your pointless garble.

You obviously only look at box scores, and you don't do that very well.  Perkins played 33 minutes last night, 27 minutes at LaSalle (he fouled out, which you likely didn't know), and 33 against Fordham.  Very, very few Ford players go 40 minutes.  If Ford wants to start Perkins, great.  If Ford wants to bring him off the bench, great.  Starting is for high school.  Results matter in college.

No one on this board, other than you , has an issue with how Ford is handling Perkins.

Did you apologize to Hankton yet for your character defamation?  Ford addressed Hankton's injury, if you were paying attention.

The biggest question here is why am I even responding to you.

4 hours ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

Two things are true at once.1)  I am happy that we are 17-5. 2) I would like to see some more scoring from the bottom end of our rotation, particularly from a touted 4 star recruit. He will be fine, he will develop. We are a good team regardless. 

I created my account around the same time that SLU fumbled some reporting to U.S. News and World Report, thus leading to us being an unranked university for a year. Hence, I was disgruntled. I am no longer disgruntled. 

Who is the touted 4 star recruit at the bottom of our rotation? 

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

It may be if they let them stand out there and shoot uncontested 3s all night.  Ford looked like he was going to stroke out.

That's not what happened. Daly was 6 of 13, everyone else was 6 of 20. Daly hit a few shots 4 feet from the line and a couple off the dribble coming around screens. You get up in him that far out and you're begging to get beat on the drive. The thing was even when he was forced to drive he hit a few dream shots plus had 6 assists. So if you left your man to help, he found them. It has to be one of the most amazing single performances I have seen in a while. 

dennis_w likes this

Speaking of Hargrove. I love the kid's energy and athleticism, but when he's on D, you can see why his minutes are limited. He reminds me of a middle schooler as he's constantly running after his man. He seldom seems to set himself in position to guard. Plain to see the gaps in his BB education. Surprised a lot of his deficiencies have lingered this long. 

billikenbill likes this

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Speaking of Hargrove. I love the kid's energy and athleticism, but when he's on D, you can see why his minutes are limited. He reminds me of a middle schooler as he's constantly running after his man. He seldom seems to set himself in position to guard. Plain to see the gaps in his BB education. Surprised a lot of his deficiencies have lingered this long. 

He also tries too hard to make an impact as soon as he gets the ball. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I agree, he has a lot of bb basics to learn that most learn in jr high and high school. that said his upside is huge. he will be one of our favorites when  he is done here

2 hours ago, almaman said:

I'll reread your posts when I get done memorizing the baltimore catechism.

What?  We HAD to memorize it or be in deep Schit!  Wasn’t that hard - the question sort of led you where you were supposed to go 😎🙏

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I know espn had him as a 4 star but did anyone else? He sure didn't have 4 star offers either. I just don't believe he was a 4 star talent coming out of HS. 

ESPN is very liberal with it's assignment of 4 stars.  Generally a 4 star player is considered one of the top 20-25 players at his position .  ESPN ranked Hargrove as #37 among small forwards. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

That's not what happened. Daly was 6 of 13, everyone else was 6 of 20. Daly hit a few shots 4 feet from the line and a couple off the dribble coming around screens. You get up in him that far out and you're begging to get beat on the drive. The thing was even when he was forced to drive he hit a few dream shots plus had 6 assists. So if you left your man to help, he found them. It has to be one of the most amazing single performances I have seen in a while. 

When we trapped him  far out he had to give the ball up.  The problem was if you laid off him at the arc he then let it fly.  Ford was upset about something we weren't doing that he wanted.

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Do you mean you think he makes bad decisions offensively? Saying a kid tries too hard to make an impact just seems unfair.

I might have used the wrong words. I think he’s too anxious to make a difference because he doesn’t see a lot of the ball and tends to take a bad shot. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I know espn had him as a 4 star but did anyone else? He sure didn't have 4 star offers either. I just don't believe he was a 4 star talent coming out of HS. 

He looked like one during the HS championship run. Back when NCAA still tried to pretend academics was important freshman weren't able to play. It's a pretty big leap from attending a high school like ESL especially when THJ was there (no state budget etc) to a 40k+ jesuit university. Still hoping it doesn't overwhelm him but his attitude sure looks like he's really enjoying it. Now if he has a Hankton summer and still 3rd guy off the bench next year we may have a problem.

He doesn’t need to start; he needs to finish as he did yesterday.  You obviously do not understand balanced lineups, combinations, rest periods, etc.  shut up.  Stoopid argument.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

I agree, he has a lot of bb basics to learn that most learn in jr high and high school. that said his upside is huge. he will be one of our favorites when  he is done here

Yes, love his athleticism, enthusiasm and potential.  With this season's experience, hopefully 20 pounds of muscle this off-season ..... look for him to be a valuable member of the rotation next season.  And Jacobs, he's developing nicely as well.  With those two, Jimerson back, Thatch back, and the additions for next year (Strickland, JC or Grad big, point guard who can hit the 3) .... Wow, nice squad. 

OK, not expecting KC to be back.  Wish he would surprise me and develop into the shooting big we need, but just do not see it. Hoping he proves me wrong.  But that shooting Big must also be able to defend the other teams' bigs.  Don't see that happening either.