GDT: Saint Joseph’s

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Goodwin and Jacobs are the only players who played more minutes than Perkins yesterday. So does it actually matter? He started the second half if I'm not mistaken. He had 33 points in 33 minutes. Ford brought Tay in first hoping it would get him going early. It didn't. Javonte came next and is an absolute microwave. Gets hot QUICK. He has a knack for it. Look at Lou Williams. He thrives off the bench. Obviously theres a reason for Javonte coming off the bench too. 

The most amazing thing about last night was that it was almost entirely a second half explosion.  Perkins actually struggled in the first half.   He was 1-5 for 6 points in the first half with two airballs and a couple of blown layups.  Yet he finished the game with 33.   Perkins has a Hardenesque ability to get to the line and remain engaged offensively until his jumper starts falling.  It's more than just talent.  He's a really intelligent offensive basketball player.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The most amazing thing about last night was that it was almost entirely a second half explosion.  Perkins actually struggled in the first half.   He was 1-5 for 6 points in the first half with two airballs and a couple of blown layups.  Yet he finished the game with 33.   Perkins has a Hardenesque ability to get to the line and remain engaged offensively until his jumper starts falling.  It's more than just talent.  He's a really intelligent offensive basketball player.

Javonte also seem to be very even keel in his demeanor that it appears the highs and lows don't affect him.  No flash and no frowns.  He just keeps plugging along until he finds something that works.

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Lol Perkins was supposed to be our best player since preseason. Yet some of y’all as of last week still didn’t want him to start 

Perkins hasn't started one game all season. Why don't you watch a game or two before you post next time.

1 minute ago, kmbilliken said:

Everyone has an off game. It bodes well that others picked him up.

True enough. Just curious because he's usually in the middle of everything; boards, putbacks, steals. It was almost like he didn't play yesterday. Of course, Javonte's light shone sooo bright everyone got lost in the glare.,

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

True enough. Just curious because he's usually in the middle of everything; boards, putbacks, steals. It was almost like he didn't play yesterday. Of course, Javonte's light shone sooo bright everyone got lost in the glare.,

It's a testament to how consistent Goodwin has been this year that you don't remember the four games he had last year that were just as bad.  When Goodwin has a bad all-around game this year, it's news.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a testament to how consistent Goodwin has been this year that you don't remember the four games he had last year that were just as bad.  When Goodwin has a bad all-around game this year, it's news.

Random positive thought because he was catching so much flak: I love Goodwin's quickness this year. He's had like  3 or 4 put back dunks this year?

12 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Bell played 10 minutes and was  0-2. Hard to blame a guy for lack of scoring when he only plays 10. He had 3 boards and an assist. Hargrove played 5. 

We're 17-5 just curious wtf are you disgruntled about?

Two things are true at once.1)  I am happy that we are 17-5. 2) I would like to see some more scoring from the bottom end of our rotation, particularly from a touted 4 star recruit. He will be fine, he will develop. We are a good team regardless. 

I created my account around the same time that SLU fumbled some reporting to U.S. News and World Report, thus leading to us being an unranked university for a year. Hence, I was disgruntled. I am no longer disgruntled. 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed. Really happy he worked through his early season struggles. 

Philly wrap:  first of all, we had no real answer for guarding Daly.  In hindsight, our best defense was Goodwin on him but when French went down with his fourth foul at 8:48, Daly came on and hit for 13 of his total points (33%) and made three triples.  For the most part, when Daly drove with Has in there, Has picked him up on the switch.  Otherwise, Daly was dominating Weaver and Collins.  My traveling partner suggested a box-and-one and force other Hawks to beat us but the result was fine.  I did not realize Daly was listed at 6'5", I thought more like 6'1" but he was indeed taller than Goodwin and matched up well height-wise with Perkins. The kid was on and he and Perkins were the best battle since Isabell and Williams at Duquesne last year.  Perkins, on the other hand, scored like 19 of our last 22 or so.  We have found our #1 offensive option down the stretch.

Goodwin was a mystery.  I don't believe he did much to contain Daly but not sure anyone could.    Despite the output, Daly didn't beat us.  And we didn't let anyone else step up either.  Moore didn't attempt a shot in 17 minutes.  Brown was a non-factor as was Tolliver.  I still think Lorenzo Edwards is underused.  Goodwin was 5-of-26 on the trip but make no mistake, his offensive rebound at 1:36 was incredibly huge.  We were only up 3 at that time before Perkins hit two more free throws after that and then Daly hit his final three at 1:04.  Goodwin had a horrible night but that one key play was redemptive.

Has took a couple of hard falls and was seen rubbing his left hip at times after them.  I don't know if there is an aggravating injury in there or not. But Has dominated the defensive boards.  His fourth foul could have been a game changer but that was good defense by the Joey's as Perkins was stripped and Has went for the block.  It was a physical game from our vantage point behind and above the Bills bench and my only real complaint was the refs calling ticky-tack fouls when muggings were going on.  St.Joe's needs a point guard; Daly is not it.  But man was Daly on.

Daly also lifted a few Bills off the floor after collisions.  A very nice, sportsman-like gesture a few times.  Billy Lange has a depleted roster that plays well for him.  I think they'll be back in Lange's regime.

Don't sleep on Demarius Jacobs or Yuri Collins.  Both had tremendous games.  Hargrove appeared lost at times and Weaver tried on defense but was just physically outmatched.  Not only did St. Joe's know enough to counter French and Goodwin inside, but they seemed content to let Yuri drive and tried to shut down his ball distribution.  It was good to see him shoot 8 times.  

Even when down, I wasn't wringing my hands over it.  Whereas at La Salle, I didn't know who would score for us in the OT.  We were exploiting their interior defense but just kept missing layups. And then the show Perkins put on was amazing.

Ford:  Travis was going ballistic on just about every play.  He constantly would turn and scream at the bench on things and he yanked Jacobs like a minute in and glared intensely at him.  This was because Demarius went under a screen on what turned into a three-pointer.  I will say French, Goodwin, Perkins and Tate all calmed him down at various points in the game.  The senior leadership, exhibited by the three juniors, was telling.  Jimmy Bell was in la-la land when French got his fourth foul ---- I think he was in shock when called to go back in that late.  And i watched him at that point ---- he did well.  He is a liability on hedge-and-recover defense, just not quick enough right now.  The only other option is Hargrove and the kid ain't there yet.  Additionally, there were many times (it seemed) where Travis would use his timeouts to set up the play and we would get nothing.  There were also a few time where it would take 10 to 15 seconds to get in the right set .... which I find hard to believe this far into the season.  But we won.

Spoke to Fred after the game. He said he certainly could have helped on Daly and that he is getting better every day.  I still don't see him playing again this year however.  Hankton was dressed  where he was not for the La Salle game.  But he never sniffed the court.  Tay Weaver may have played but I think the shoulder is indeed an issue.

We have found our late-game, go-to-guy and it is not Jordan Goodwin.  While he may be the heart and soul of this team, his offensive limitations remain obvious.  Daly, Brown, Knox, Freeman and Moore all matched up size-wise on Goodwin and he was negated.  They beat us on threes but we won that game on turnovers, free throws and rebounding.  I am with Ford on the foul situation --- we seem to have the refs number on physicality and get calls against us that are maddening.  Especially with French and now Collins.  We really can't afford to lose either.

Our crowd was large and vocal.  Met cgeldemacher and his crew.  The French's were down from Middletown, NY.  They had the big Has head you may have seen on TV.  The hawk remains annoying.  The St. Joe's dance team has talent.  A top four finish remains the reachable goal.  But we have no margin for error most nights and an even slimmer one on the road.  Can never argue with a 2-and-0 road trip.  Trash Duquesne then off to Dayton.  John's Cheesesteaks on Snyder are top notch.  The St. Joe's crowd was involved yet respectful.  They aren't expecting much.  Philly basketball roots still run deep.

Ryan Daly and Javonte Perkins have earned my respect.

Comcial/WTF moment:  late game Ford goes to reinsert French.  He looks down the bench.  No French.  WTF?  There is a walkway out of the arena next to the bench.   It leads to the exterior exits, concessions, beers, restrooms, basketball offices.  Finally, French comes running in from outside, tying his drawstrings on his pants.  Potty break?  Don't know.  But he makes it in time to replace Bell for the final run.  When you've got to go ......

See some of you in Dayton .....

CBFan, bauman, crymdg2 and 1 other like this

11 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Maybe a combo of both, but I think you are underestimating Yuri's physicality/athleticism. He will put on more size in the next couple years, he already has the mentality and toughness.

His frame does not seem conducive to putting on that much more bulk.  He will never be the same type player Jett was but he can in his own right be very good.

5 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

Two things are true at once.1)  I am happy that we are 17-5. 2) I would like to see some more scoring from the bottom end of our rotation, particularly from a touted 4 star recruit. He will be fine, he will develop. We are a good team regardless. 

I created my account around the same time that SLU fumbled some reporting to U.S. News and World Report, thus leading to us being an unranked university for a year. Hence, I was disgruntled. I am no longer disgruntled. 

All of us would love to see more from Weaver, Bell and Hargrove.

Even though Hargrove was a 4 star recruit he is work in progress and when Jimerson and Thatch were playing coach Ford could not get Hargrove in the game.  This may be a issue next season for Strickland and Hargrove if the team stays healthy and adds a big that can contribute.

The way Yuri has played it is hard to get Weaver in the game and Weaver subbing for Jacobs puts in a much shorter defender on the court.  Weaver is a better match up defensively when we play a team with smaller guards.

Bell, Hargrove and Weaver do a good job of subbing when our best five players are playing well but unlike bringing in Jimerson are unable to take over a game and that is who we are right now and that will cost us games if one or 2 of our best 5 are struggling.

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

All of us would love to see more from Weaver, Bell and Hargrove.

Even though Hargrove was a 4 star recruit he is work in progress and when Jimerson and Thatch were playing coach Ford could not get Hargrove in the game.  This may be a issue next season for Strickland and Hargrove if the team stays healthy and adds a big that can contribute.

The way Yuri has played it is hard to get Weaver in the game and Weaver subbing for Jacobs puts in a much shorter defender on the court.  Weaver is a better match up defensively when we play a team with smaller guards.

Bell, Hargrove and Weaver do a good job of subbing when our best five players are playing well but unlike bringing in Jimerson are unable to take over a game and that is who we are right now and that will cost us games if one or 2 of our best 5 are struggling.

We all want Hargrove to become a good player but ultimately, you have to earn the time.  Weaver is owed nothing unless he produces.  Bell is just a freshman and he will need time to develop so think he was going to step in and play 15-20 minutes a game is not realistic.  He is getting valuable experience but it will take him time.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

His frame does not seem conducive to putting on that much more bulk.  He will never be the same type player Jett was but he can in his own right be very good.

Strength and Conditioning coach said Yuri is the pound for pound best athlete on the team and easily made the most impressive jump in the weight room in the pre season. Not sure his ability to be the physical specimen that is Jordair Jett. But looking forward to his career here. Kid seems to want to WORK

This is the conundrum facing Coach Ford regarding playing time:

Weaver is a 5'10 spot up shooter who shooting guards can easily shoot over the top of.  If he's hitting threes, that's OK. If he's not, then we have a problem.

Bell is not quick enough to hedge and recover.  Open jump shots and back cuts ensue.  If he's scoring in the post, that's OK.  If he's not, then we have a problem.

Hargrove is regularly beaten off the dribble, resulting in easy baskets and fouls on his teammates who are rotating to help.  He's not a skilled enough offensive player to make up for that.  But he does have a tendency to make athletic plays in the lane at crucial times.

As long as the above conditions remain true, you will see wild swings in playing time for the above 3 players.  The only condition that has any chance of improving this year is Hargrove's because it's not a physical limitation.  There's no way of predicting when the lightbulb comes on, though.  Hargrove never had to take correct angles in high school or do a good job of sliding his feet.  He just out-athleted everybody.

SLU_Nick and MichaelC like this

-the Philly sweep is nice, wish we could do that at the start of conf season so the kids don’t miss so much class, but we won and hopefully our studies were also a priority

-props to the Daly kid, wow, he let it fly and in it went, but his team didn’t win the game

-major props to JPerkins, what a game, now what does he and the staff do as he will be a big focus in scouting reports

-I hope JBell is not upset with his minutes, he could have helped us I think, as to his hedge and recover defense he is not there on this, I totally agree, so don’t put him in that situation

-I thought our help defense was terrible

-we make some boneheaded plays and miss too many chippies but we won

-CFord, I hope when you are going nuclear it is because you and the staff have stressed so often whatever thing that a player did or didn’t do makes your reaction justified so the players understand and it is not impacting your health

-let’s win them all, Go Bills

It's crazy how expectations have changed for this team throughout the season. When this all started.... 7 new players..... I just wanted to "watch them develop" …...now even after losing Jimerson and Thatch I want the NCAA Tourney bid. I think that is a testament to this squad, even if they can be frustrating as hell sometimes. 

HenryB likes this

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I hope JBell is not upset with his minutes, he could have helped us I think, as to his hedge and recover defense he is not there on this, I totally agree, so don’t put him in that situation

-CFord, I hope when you are going nuclear it is because you and the staff have stressed so often whatever thing that a player did or didn’t do makes your reaction justified so the players understand and it is not impacting your health

On his post game interview, he discussed Bell. He had told him before the game that he likely wouldn't play much.  But when French got into foul trouble, he had to go in.  Ford was very complimentary on his picks, his block outs and his rebounding, stuff that didn't necesarrily make the stat sheet.  He said he kept him in a little longer than planned due to him doing what was needed.

Ford also said he told the team after the game that they took LaSalle's and St. Joe's best shot and won.  He sounded pleased with the results.  He also said they tried everything, but nothing worked on Daly.