GDT: Saint Joseph’s

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Every team now focuses 1st on keeping goodwin and French from scoring in the lane.  Even tonite French got 8 of his points on putbacks of his own misses.  Need perkins and Jacob's to continue to pick up the slack.  They were our stars tonite and likely need to keep doing until teams start playing us straight up.

We won.  That's the main thing considering the game daly had

Looks like French is playing a little hesitant now that he knows a double is coming.  He is best when he can attack across the lane and finish with his left (either jump hook or spin move).  I’d like to see him look to attack first then use his passing ability to look for others when/if the double comes. 

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

In conference play Bell has played less than 10 minutes once, Weaver twice, Hargrove three times. 

Seems like more than 6 deep. 

This was not the type of game conducive to Bell getting big minutes.  St. Joe spreads the floor with five guys who shoot from way out.  Not sure Bell is able yet to move like French defending to the three point line then hustling back in case of penetration.  Now if playing a zone, then maybe.

30 minutes ago, Fraz42 said:

I could see Yuri developing into more of Kwamain with his shooting/playmaking than Jett with his physicality/athleticism 

Maybe a combo of both, but I think you are underestimating Yuri's physicality/athleticism. He will put on more size in the next couple years, he already has the mentality and toughness.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Maybe a combo of both, but I think you are underestimating Yuri's physicality/athleticism. He will put on more size in the next couple years, he already has the mentality and toughness.

I don't think comparing Yuri's game to Kwamain's could possibly constitute an underestimation. 

15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Appreciate the kind words.  Honestly I have been just blessed to coach and coach against a lot of the local kids in the 2016-18 classes.  Javonte was always a special talent.  Fourth grade AAU Nationals we were put in a bracket with two teams that finished top 5 the previous year.  It was our 1st year there 😂.  Played a team out of DC they were blowing everybody out by 20-30 pts.  Javonte had an easy 17.  We were down 5 with 3mins left and ran out of gas.  Lost by 11.  Javonte has been getting buckets ever since.

Throwback pic with Levi Stockard,  Javon Pickett,  Destan Williams and Javonte.  (5th grade)

20200201_215740.png

I already apologized to coach once but I’ll do it again. 

LONG LIVE JAVONTE PERKINS 

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Speaking of the ABA, some of you older guys might remember Wendell Ladner. Daly is the second coming of Ladner. One look and you’d think neither could play but both flat-out ballers.

Looked into it. Impressive man, Wendell.  Definitely in the softball player mold.  Here he is taking a few softballs from this far out reporter piece before ultimately giving her the high, hard one.

wendell-ladner-tells-it-all-to-reporter-

Fascinating.  I wonder where Like Meyer fell short.  Was certainly 6'5" and white bread enough.

7 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Looked into it. Impressive man, Wendell.  Definitely in the softball player mold.  Here he is taking a few softballs from this far out reporter piece before ultimately giving her the high, hard one.

wendell-ladner-tells-it-all-to-reporter-

Fascinating.  I wonder where Like Meyer fell short.  Was certainly 6'5" and white bread enough.

I wonder if Ryan Daly's got any shots like this from his Delaware days.

RbCr5feFeq_UyXGhspY2QGy7oOYTHmgjZBSLNSGN

I know Daly's about 5'10, 350, but he might have the moxie to pull it off.  Took us for a spin and pulled the trigger from deep over and over again against our little tykes.

1 hour ago, Fraz42 said:

I could see Yuri developing into more of Kwamain with his shooting/playmaking than Jett with his physicality/athleticism 

Yuri won't be like any other pg we've had in the 30 years I've been following the Bills. 

5 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Lol Perkins was supposed to be our best player since preseason. Yet some of y’all as of last week still didn’t want him to start 

Goodwin and Jacobs are the only players who played more minutes than Perkins yesterday. So does it actually matter? He started the second half if I'm not mistaken. He had 33 points in 33 minutes. Ford brought Tay in first hoping it would get him going early. It didn't. Javonte came next and is an absolute microwave. Gets hot QUICK. He has a knack for it. Look at Lou Williams. He thrives off the bench. Obviously theres a reason for Javonte coming off the bench too. 

Glad you looked up Ladner. His life was cut far too short. Saw him play numerous times both for and against our hometown team and there was no one like him. If you matched up Ladner with a box of rocks in an IQ test, the box would win, but he was as tenacious a player as you'll ever see. A favorite among teammates, the fans, and especially the ladies.