GDT: Explorin the bubble

Littlebill

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if the A10 coaches have been complaining to the refs about our physical style of play and the refs are now just looking more.  Our style of play may not be suited for the A10 guard dominant conference.  We seem to do better against the Power 5 conferences because they have bigger stronger players who play physically.  Once the league coaches get into the heads of the refs they will start looking for everything even if it is not there.  Now I know this is a generality statement but I do think there is something to it - we never had foul trouble issues in the non conference schedule it has only really been once conference play started.

I know a couple of years ago we were in a consortium with the ACC, Big East, and I believe the CAA, on sharing officials.  I haven't seen that we still are or aren't in that group. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, slusam said:

Just watched a replay. Our foul trouble changed the game. Anyone else notice a girl flip the camera off during a timeout with a minute to go in regulation?

Yeah, that was blatant and they were on it for a long few seconds. She was acting like she was just going to hide her face because she didn't want to be on camera, and turned her head and covered it with the bird and they didn't immediately go on to the next person. Pretty funny.

5 hours ago, MichaelC said:

As much as I would like to complain about how ugly the game was and how we should won in regulation, etc. etc. etc. I just can't do it. 

Bottom line: We won a conference game on the road with 2 Freshman and a Walk On playing the entire overtime period and accounting for 7 of the 10 points scored in the OT period. Usually when a team has control of a game in regulation and it ends of going to OT that team is stunned and doesn't recover mentally, this team did that and then some playing with great confidence and poise in OT. Did they make some mistakes? Sure, but they came together as a TEAM and found a way to win under trying circumstances. Hats off to the veteran leaders on this team and the coaching staff, you can't win a game like that unless without calm, cool leadership. 

I'm out of reactions, but this is a really good post.

There's two ways to look at this game:

1. We almost lost to an inferior opponent that we definitely should not lose to.

2. This is the type of game that we would have lost in the past, but leadership, fortitude, and bench depth (thanks Coach Ford) got us the win.

I choose #2

5 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Mentioned it a couple of times in the GDT, but Has looked sluggish.  Not necessarily hurt, but like he was sick.  Just didn't appear to have the same energy he usually has.  

That might have to do with his knowing he couldn't foul out.  The last so many minutes and all of overtime, he had to play very cautiously.

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I know a couple of years ago we were in a consortium with the ACC, Big East, and I believe the CAA, on sharing officials.  I haven't seen that we still are or aren't in that group. 

-one of the refs from Sunday against Fordham was Jamie Luckey, or something close to that, he did the KU-Tenn game in Lawrence on Saturday so some of the refs still get to SLU from the P5 conferences

-Roy complains, K complains, Cal complains, Self complains, Huggins complains, every coach and every fan base in America complain about the refs

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-one of the refs from Sunday against Fordham was Jamie Luckey, or something close to that, he did the KU-Tenn game in Lawrence on Saturday so some of the refs still get to SLU from the P5 conferences

-Roy complains, K complains, Cal complains, Self complains, Huggins complains, every coach and every fan base in America complain about the refs

I was shocked when I saw Jamie Luckie reffing the SLU/Fordham game.  He is normally a big time ACC guy.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

And that will never change.  I have refed/umped baseball and volleyball. It isn't easy.  It is much easier to complain.

There is a developing shortage of refs and umps in Missouri HS, as the younger ones get fed up with the criticism and quit. The older ones are retiring.   Last season in HS baseball, I am aware of several Frosh and JV games that were handled by only one umpire.  A second couldn't be found, or the second was moved to the neighboring Varsity game, which needed a second ump. 

You saw more than the normal number of HS football games played on Saturday afternoon, or an occasional Thursday night, rather than Friday night.  One of the reasons is the shortage.

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And that will never change.  I have refed/umped baseball and volleyball. It isn't easy.  It is much easier to complain.

There is a developing shortage of refs and umps in Missouri HS, as the younger ones get fed up with the criticism and quit. The older ones are retiring.   Last season in HS baseball, I am aware of several Frosh and JV games that were handled by only one umpire.  A second couldn't be found, or the second was moved to the neighboring Varsity game, which needed a second ump. 

You saw more than the normal number of HS football games played on Saturday afternoon, or an occasional Thursday night, rather than Friday night.  One of the reasons is the shortage.

This may be an unpopular take because people like to hate on refs.

As much as I hate poor officiating, I also really dislike coaches who are constantly working the refs (this irks me about Ford sometimes as well).  Coaches (or even players especially at the professional level) yelling at or calling out officials during the game should have no place and result in stricter punishments.  I'm not trying to defend officials, I just think it is kind of stupid and makes the game itself less watchable / enjoyable. 

My issues with it are:

1. It slows the game down / leads to more time without actual game action as the refs have to deal with coaches or players.
  2. Even though it might.  It should not have an effect at all on the officials.  The officials should be calling the actual rule by the book regardless of what coaches or players say to them.
  3. As you point out, it just doesn't seem healthy in general for the officials to always be yelled at.  Leads to a crappy work environment that likely causes good officials to quit so we're left with worse officials because the overall pool is smaller.
  4. It is especially annoying to see coaches (Ford) jawing with the officials the entire time during a time out rather than coaching up his team to play better / more focused.*
  5. It is annoying to see players constantly whining about calls against them or not getting calls.  I want to watch them play basketball and not whine.

* - I DO think officials need to be accountable.  Players and coaches should able to ask for clarification on calls during the game, but not really question / react negatively towards officials during the games.  Perhaps team could designate a assistant coach or other staff member to be the liaison with officials during the game who could question calls during stoppages (TOs & halftime) or request officials look out for certain things (ex moving screens) that aren't being called.   After the game, teams should be allowed to send in video questioning calls and get clarification on why things were called / not called or explanation that the call was wrong.  Officials who are consistently making bad calls per this type of review should be given more training and/or let go.  I love the NBA 2 minute report and I think that should be expanded / implemented in college if it is not too costly.

Note that I'm not talking about the crowd getting on the refs about calls.  I'm all for that (within reason at the collegiate & professional level) if it is warranted because it doesn't slow the game down & fans don't need to focused on other aspects during time outs.

I attend almost all of our home games and an occasional away game.  I will watch the game on TV afterwards, if possible,.I DVR it.   Most of the time when  I disagreed with the refs live at the game  I was wrong and the refs were right.  As a fan my emotions effect my opinion.  Tough job being a ref.  Most do a good job.  As long as they are consistent I am satisfied

3 minutes ago, papal said:

I attend almost all of  our home games and an occasional away game.  I will watch the game on TV afterwards, if possible,.I DVR it.   Most of the time when  I disagreed with the refs live at the game  I was wrong and the refs were right.  As a fan my emotions effect my opinion.  Tough job being a ref.  Most do a good job.  As long as they are consistent I am satisfied

Hope Rammer doesn't do this :) 

Refs being yelled at has been happening since the beginning of sporting events.  I do not think a ref should be abused but if they wanted to stop coaches from working them then they need to stop letting the coach thinks it works.  Coaches would not do it unless they thought they were going to get a return.  It is like a team stealing signs, secretly filming the other teams practice, or putting less or too much air in the ball, they wouldn't do it unless they thought they got an advantage.  

As far as refs not wanting to do the job anymore because of the headache is probably one excuse the bigger reason is pay.  You pay enough and you will be happy to be yelled at.

3star_recruit likes this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Refs being yelled at has been happening since the beginning of sporting events.  I do not think a ref should be abused but if they wanted to stop coaches from working them then they need to stop letting the coach thinks it works.  Coaches would not do it unless they thought they were going to get a return.  It is like a team stealing signs, secretly filming the other teams practice, or putting less or too much air in the ball, they wouldn't do it unless they thought they got an advantage.  

Do you have any proof it works? 

stealing signs/filming practices/etc.  isn't the same as publicly harassing someone multiple times a game because you think they got a call wrong (when they probably got it right a good portion of the time). I'm against it and think it's embarrassing at any level.

RUBillsFan likes this

12 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

stealing signs/filming practices/etc.  isn't the same as publicly harassing someone multiple times a game because you think they got a call wrong (when they probably got it right a good portion of the time). I'm against it and think it's embarrassing at any level.

well said.

5 hours ago, slusam said:

Just watched a replay. Our foul trouble changed the game. Anyone else notice a girl flip the camera off during a timeout with a minute to go in regulation?

Didn't see that but they kept showing the same group of jabronies every time they scanned the raucous, sell out crowd. One of the bro dog's was wearing a blue Champions sweatshirt with a wicked gold chain dangling on the outside. I believe he's the one over her left shoulder and 2 down in that screenshot above.

I have the chance maybe once a year to sit in the floor seats.  When the action is down on my end, oh my gosh.  The players are all huge.  The players are all strong.  The players are all quick. There is physical contact on every play, multiply times.  What's a foul?  What's not a foul?  I'd swallow my whistle if I was on the floor as a referee, unless there was blood or broken bones.  

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree that at the current rate of play, being a college ref isn't worth it.   The average assistant coach makes more than the average ref.

Pay must be fairly good. Most of these guys do this as their full time employment. I thInk for the most part there aren’t many Ed Hightower’s who reffed as a part  time job. Also don’t forget they only work six months. 

Many years ago when i had some direct knowledge the top d-1 refs were paid about $1000 per game counting travel and game tickets. that was about 20 years ago. dont know what they get now. Calling a basketball game is tough and everyone thinks the refs are awful, but it is the same all over

2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

My point which you seemed to miss was that coaches work refs because they think it pays off.  Besides I never said it works what I said was the coaches who cheat  think it works.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My point which you seemed to miss was that coaches work refs because they think it pays off.  Besides I never said it works what I said was the coaches think it works.

There’s a big difference between “working a ref” and trying to embarrass a ref or show them up by screaming your face off at them. 

Im ok with the first and am embarrassed for everyone around when a coach does the second.

Any coach ever getting a technical foul should be a fireable offense (slight blue font) too.