GDT: Explorin the bubble

Littlebill

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SMU could be a possibility .  But they already have one Dallas metro team, and SMU lacks a basketball program. B12 needs Houston market, and Houston has been great in basketball lately.  

I always forget TCU is in Dallas metro. I’m sure they’d try to block SMU. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodwin had such a strange game, it was his worst game of the year in many ways - 4-19 shooting, 4 turnovers, some really bad shot selection and passes, and his free throw shooting frustrates me more than French's. There's no reason JGood shouldn't be around 70%. And he misses the big front end of a 1-1 in OT to give LaSalle a chance to win... yet he still manages to get 16 rebounds and 7 assists, hits a big 3 and has four steals. As far as terrible games go, that's pretty good.

billiken_roy and AGB91 like this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Goodwin had such a strange game, it was his worst game of the year in many ways - 4-19 shooting, 4 turnovers, some really bad shot selection and passes, and his free throw shooting frustrates me more than French's. There's no reason JGood shouldn't be around 70%. And he misses the big front end of a 1-1 in OT to give LaSalle a chance to win... yet he still manages to get 16 rebounds and 7 assists, hits a big 3 and has four steals. As far as terrible games go, that's pretty good.

Hes a weird player.  where most players struggle , he excels.  Where most players excel, hes struggles with. 

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

When UConn moves back to the big east if the AAC expands I hope SLU bids to get in the AAC leave the A10.

Thinking about last nights game in a better frame of mind with 4 injured players and being in foul trouble our team gutted it out and won.  With a few exceptions I did not think the officiating was that bad I thought our players committed too many bad fouls that put them at risk with the A10 officiating calling bad fouls that would affect the outcome of the game.

Our team won with only 4 scholarship players on the floor and a walk on that made a game changing steal that resulted in a layup and one, amazing.

Some say it was a bad win which makes no sense to me with a road conference game, this was not a directional school 300 rated non conference win.

Get well soon Mr. Weaver our team needs you as soon as possible.

We did commit a lot of stupid fouls in the first four minutes of the game, but then we settled down. The officiating really was that bad. 

Agree it was a good win, considering we started overtime playing a walk-on and Hargrove. I figured the odds were against us winning.

Just now, ACE said:

We did commit a lot of stupid fouls in the first four minutes of the game, but then we settled down. The officiating really was that bad. 

Agree it was a good win, considering we started overtime playing a walk-on and Hargrove. I figured the odds were against us winning.

the refs were horrid, but like I said last night, Has had two realllllly stupid fouls.  Without those hes at 2 fouls at the end of the game. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

the refs were horrid, but like I said last night, Has had two realllllly stupid fouls.  Without those hes at 2 fouls at the end of the game. 

Not sure if you're counting it as a stupid foul, but the one where he was running up court and barely touched the LS player was a weak call.  Of course, when Yuri was fouled and had the ball stripped at the end of the game the refs swallowed the whistles. 

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Not sure if you're counting it as a stupid foul, but the one where he was running up court and barely touched the LS player was a weak call.  Of course, when Yuri was fouled and had the ball stripped at the end of the game the refs swallowed the whistles. 

I'll have to look at it again, as I thought there was some contact the one and only time I saw it. Even if it was light contact, The guy had already beaten Has, and there was no reason for him to lean in.  Outside of the two fouls on Has I talked about, that was easily the worst display of reffing  Ive seen in a LONG time.  

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'll have to look at it again, as I thought there was some contact the one and only time I saw it. Even if it was light contact, The guy had already beaten Has, and there was no reason for him to lean in.  Outside of the two fouls on Has I talked about, that was easily the worst display of reffing  Ive seen in a LONG time.  

Just watched again (6:30 left in the 2nd half), and it's hard to see much contact.  Of course, during our possession right before it, Has is fouled twice, missed his shot and Goodwin was hacked on the put back attempt.  Anywho, Has shouldn't have put himself in a position for the ref to make that call.  I think we agree on that. 

45 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think the AAC has a decent chance to crumble. 

My reason is because the B12 has to make a move in the next few years, and its best options are some of the main teams out of that conference.  Its going to go after Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston.  Those three have a stronghold financially on the conference. I wouldn't be shocked to see some sort of A10/AAC merger for at least a few teams. 

I have it on good authority that the A10 is looking pick up a few more teams in Philly and Richmond.  They're also planning to add a couple of super-remote MAAC schools in upstate NY and another NYC school with a moribund hoops program.  The sh!ttier the gyms, the better - prominent ductwork a plus.

RiseAndGrind likes this

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I have it on good authority that the A10 is looking pick up a few more teams in Philly and Richmond.  They're also planning to add a couple of super-remote MAAC schools in upstate NY and another NYC school with a moribund hoops program.  The sh!ttier the gyms, the better - prominent ductwork a plus.

Manhattan Jaspers checks most of the boxes. 

Image result for Draddy Gymnasium

20 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

-we do need more ductwork in the league and while we're at it another school with a Ram mascot because if 3 is good 4 is better

Box and Won likes this

LaSalle's fan contests during timeouts were the most pathetic I've ever seen. One of them, the winner received a tshirt, the same tshirt they handed out at the beginning of the game for their "whiteout" that nobody participated in. A second one gave the winner a bag of Herr's chips. I've never seen such lack of enthusiasm by the participants. It was fμcking hilarious.

14 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Soft foul call. He just bumped into him trying to get back on D

he ran right into him and looked a little out of control from me. Has needs to be smarter. with 3 fouls you can’t give them any reason to blow the whistle. especially at their three point line 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

while it could have gone both ways, Has is a junior and needs to be smarter than that. being that big you can’t oaf your way into a guard in transition and not expect to get called for a foul. 

2 hours ago, MichaelC said:

Bottom line: We won a conference game on the road with 2 Freshman and a Walk On playing the entire overtime period and accounting for 7 of the 10 points scored in the OT period. Usually when a team has control of a game in regulation and it ends of going to OT that team is stunned and doesn't recover mentally, this team did that and then some playing with great confidence and poise in OT. Did they make some mistakes? Sure, but they came together as a TEAM and found a way to win under trying circumstances. Hats off to the veteran leaders on this team and the coaching staff, you can't win a game like that unless without calm, cool leadership. 

That's one way of looking at it.  Another way is that LaSalle gave us this game.  I thought we were terrible in the first half.  Yet, we led by 10 at halftime.  Second half was just sloppy.  So many dumb turnovers, dumb fouls, and dumb strategy.  I can't even.  I know that JGood is our leader but I do not want him taking FTs with the game on the line--like ever.  Late in the game we get an inbounds pass into JBell Jr.  Great!  We know LaSalle is going to foul, but we give it right back to JGood to take the FTs???  Of course, he misses the front end.  Then we get the ball inbounds, we know a foul will be coming.  Does Yuri look to get the ball to one of our good FT shooters (Jacobs, Hargrove)?  No, he tries to outdribble 3 defenders.  Presumably so he can take the foul and miss the FTs.  When FT shooting is so poor, those plays at the end of the game are critical.  You got to get the ball into the hands of Perkins, Jacobs, Hargrove.  We just can't have JGood, French, and Yuri shooting those FTs.  It is way to risky.  

I don't want to talk about our last play in regulation.  That was as bad as you can draw it up.  Fortunately, LaSalle choked and threw the inbounds pass of his own basket

Luckily, in OT LaSalle turned to ball over seemingly every possession to give us the win (Thank you, Hikim).  Thank god for Hightower.  He saved our necks last night.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Just a comment, it happened at Davidson, it happened at LaSalle. There has to be a reason why they refs are doing what they are doing, they ARE NOT that incompetent, there has to be something in for them in the mix.

I wonder if the A10 coaches have been complaining to the refs about our physical style of play and the refs are now just looking more.  Our style of play may not be suited for the A10 guard dominant conference.  We seem to do better against the Power 5 conferences because they have bigger stronger players who play physically.  Once the league coaches get into the heads of the refs they will start looking for everything even if it is not there.  Now I know this is a generality statement but I do think there is something to it - we never had foul trouble issues in the non conference schedule it has only really been once conference play started.

billiken_roy likes this