Ushers at Chaifetz

Littlebill

57 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

At savis. I had an usher ask me what I was doing just standing in the tunnel. I said I was waiting for a stoppage in play. She said, we don’t do that and waved me on.  That’s a few years back but the ushers were sure not stopping people there from getting to their seats whenever. Maybe that was just the upper deck where all the rabble were.......

Must have been the same usher - she or someone else did the same with me.  I told her that was crazy but she was very officious.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

people coming late and people leaving early really p!ss me off.   people were actually leaving near the end of regulation of the dayton game.  wtf!?  how bad can traffic be.   and typically it is the same f's leaving early all the time.   just amazes me. 

How many bars have shuttles to the Billiken games?  When games were at Savvis, I believe I took the Metro once.  Every other time I got a shuttle to the game.  There's no rush to leave right away, you get dropped off right at the entrance so there's no long walk from the parking garage, you can drink as much as you want (within reason of course) and when your shuttle gets back to the bar/dorms you can keep the party going.  That was always part of the magic of Billiken basketball for me.  We don't have a football team so Saturday mornings and Wednesday nights were the closest thing to a football game day experience at SLU.

1 minute ago, Matty Light said:

How many bars have shuttles to the Billiken games?  When games were at Savvis, I believe I took the Metro once.  Every other time I got a shuttle to the game.  There's no rush to leave right away, you get dropped off right at the entrance so there's no long walk from the parking garage, you can drink as much as you want (within reason of course) and when your shuttle gets back to the bar/dorms you can keep the party going.  That was always part of the magic of Billiken basketball for me.  We don't have a football team so Saturday mornings and Wednesday nights were the closest thing to a football game day experience at SLU.

How many bars are near SLU but just far enough away to need a shuttle? Bomber O’Brien’s is the only shuttle I’ve seen 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

How many bars are near SLU but just far enough away to need a shuttle? Bomber O’Brien’s is the only shuttle I’ve seen 

Syberg's always had a shuttle.  And, yes, I've used it to get to Chaifetz.  If games were in the summer, I would walk.  Obviously there is no Humphries anymore but a little marketing and any bar could become a great Billiken bar.  What owner doesn't want their bar filling up once or twice a week during the winter?  Sure, there is some competition with Blues games some nights but it is the highest level basketball in town.

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

So, kind of an old man type of complaint here - but has anyone else been frustrated with the amount of people that walk to their seats during play? I sit in 115 and it is amazing how many times during a game we have to look around people going down the stairs at mid-court or sit there waiting for people to get to their seats as the whole row stands up in front of them, so we miss the action. I always have considered it stadium etiquette to wait until a stop in play until I go to my seats. Am I alone with this?

Yeah, this was driving me nuts at the Dayton game.

1. If you walk to your seat during gameplay, you're rude and stupid.

1a. There are a lot of rude and stupid people.

2. The ushers are clearly not being trained to handle this properly.

If you're not 100% butt in seat when gameplay resumes, fine, it happens. But don't start going down/up the stairs until there's a whistle.

Might actually be a worthwhile topic to bring up to arena/gameday management in the offseason. Who manages the ushers? Spectra?

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Little Bill, thank you for raising this issue.  I have seats in 102, and we're constantly getting obstructed by folks showing up late.  Also, is halftime not long enough?  They put a clock up on the scoreboard to tell you exactly when the second half will be starting.  Yet, you still get people wandering to their seats 2 minutes into the second half.  Show up on time.  Get back to your seats before the 2nd half starts.  If you can't do these two things, then wait until a stoppage before finding your seats.

Speaking of finding your seats, the same three or four rows that are in front of us in 103 have a real problem with knowing where their seats are.  For some reason, these folks spend a good 30 seconds in the aisle during the game trying to determine where they are sitting.

One recent game, I purposely got out of my seat as the first half buzzer sounded, got a 'good spot' in the concession line, then went to the bathroom, and got back to my seat as the second half was beginning, beating the throw in by about 10 seconds.  So, maybe halftime isn't long enough, or the concessionaires could step up their staffing. 

Regarding getting people to their seats, unless it's a full time out, people will still block your view as the time difference between when the foul is called and play beginning doesn't allow people to get to their seats. 

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If you're not 100% butt in seat when gameplay resumes, fine, it happens. But don't start going down/up the stairs until there's a whistle.

Might actually be a worthwhile topic to bring up to arena/gameday management in the offseason. Who manages the ushers? Spectra?

-I would think whoever it is would get their marching orders from the U

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

During the Dayton game it got so loud that my 8 year old daughter had to leave with approximately 1 minute left in regulation because of the loud noise. She was 2 seconds from sobbing. I agree that most people are not leaving for an emergency, and we stayed in the lobby and watched the remainder of the game on the TVs. So be careful making a proclamation about who can walk out during a game.

29 minutes ago, DiehardFan said:

During the Dayton game it got so loud that my 8 year old daughter had to leave with approximately 1 minute left in regulation because of the loud noise. She was 2 seconds from sobbing. I agree that most people are not leaving for an emergency, and we stayed in the lobby and watched the remainder of the game on the TVs. So be careful making a proclamation about who can walk out during a game.

Reread my post. I'm talking about people going to their seats, not from. If you've got an emergency, people understand that.

33 minutes ago, DiehardFan said:

I’ve seen lots of babies and little kids at the game with earplugs. Never noticed before this year.

4 hours ago, someoneelse said:

One recent game, I purposely got out of my seat as the first half buzzer sounded, got a 'good spot' in the concession line, then went to the bathroom, and got back to my seat as the second half was beginning, beating the throw in by about 10 seconds.  So, maybe halftime isn't long enough, or the concessionaires could step up their staffing. 

Regarding getting people to their seats, unless it's a full time out, people will still block your view as the time difference between when the foul is called and play beginning doesn't allow people to get to their seats. 

The issue of the slow, understaffed concessions is a topic worthy of a whole other thread.

9 hours ago, gister said:

Yawn!  I'm surprised there isn't anything else to talk about.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If a topic does not interest you then simply do not read it.  

"I care so little about this subject that I simply must comment in order to let everyone know!"

11 hours ago, BJK said:

Not sure if it was at kiel or the arena but I remember a little blimp when I was a kid that would drop stuff to the folks in the upper levels. Sh;t was rad. 

the worst ever imo. dropping off coupons for free water. That really helped put seats in the seats.