Ushers at Chaifetz

Littlebill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

So, kind of an old man type of complaint here - but has anyone else been frustrated with the amount of people that walk to their seats during play? I sit in 115 and it is amazing how many times during a game we have to look around people going down the stairs at mid-court or sit there waiting for people to get to their seats as the whole row stands up in front of them, so we miss the action. I always have considered it stadium etiquette to wait until a stop in play until I go to my seats. Am I alone with this?

I’m with you on this. Another issue I have is the children that run down towards the front during giveaway tosses. I probably did something like that back in the day so I guess I can’t be too upset. I also blame the cheerleaders for not being able to throw past row N.

slufan13 likes this

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m with you on this. Another issue I have is the children that run down towards the front during giveaway tosses. I probably did something like that back in the day so I guess I can’t be too upset. I also blame the cheerleaders for not being able to throw past row N.

Don't be mad just because those kids shove you out of the way. 

i love seeing the kids go for the balls and tshirts.   little billikens in the making.   why not encourage it.   lot of the people near me if they catch a ball or a shirt they will hand to one of those kids in the aisle and to see the look on that kid's face light up is marvelous.  

Slowry, willie, Old guy and 3 others like this

-it would be a great policy to have enforced to not allow entry while play is happening, but for most of our fan base if they have to go more than 5 rows they can't get in their seat during a stoppage so I cut the 'tenured' fans a break, but it would be nice if those that were able self-enforced this policy

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i love seeing the kids go for the balls and tshirts.   little billikens in the making.   

05 is right, its annoying especially when im trying to walk up and im dodging these kids who are running down at about 34 mph.  But you're right, whatever gets kids excited about the games I should be ok with.

12 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

People going to their seats mid game never happened when the Billikens played at Savis / Scottrade because the ushers used the same policy as when the Blues were playing. Wait for a stoppage in the action.

people coming late and people leaving early really p!ss me off.   people were actually leaving near the end of regulation of the dayton game.  wtf!?  how bad can traffic be.   and typically it is the same f's leaving early all the time.   just amazes me. 

cgeldmacher, CBFan and bauman like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

people coming late and people leaving early really p!ss me off.   people were actually leaving near the end of regulation of the dayton game.  wtf!?  how bad can traffic be.   and typically it is the same f's leaving early all the time.   just amazes me. 

i saw a few people with courtside seats leaving early at the Fordham game.... that burned my soul 

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

05 is right, its annoying especially when im trying to walk up and im dodging these kids who are running down at about 34 mph.  But you're right, whatever gets kids excited about the games I should be ok with.

My point at the end about the cheerleaders not being able to launch the items is part of the problem. I’ve always had the stance that those giveaways need to make it up to the 200 level almost every time. Those are the people you need to hook into coming back. Maybe send cheerleaders onto the concourse a minute or so before the timeout and have them throw from above the 100s. Or bring out baseball or soccer. 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

My point at the end about the cheerleaders not being able to launch the items is part of the problem. I’ve always had the stance that those giveaways need to make it up to the 200 level almost every time. Those are the people you need to hook into coming back. Maybe send cheerleaders onto the concourse a minute or so before the timeout and have them throw from above the 100s. Or bring out baseball or soccer. 

or something thats still soft but a little heavier, some of those giveaways the ball is so light thats its really hard to throw it far. 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

My number 1 complaint Roy, I usually mention on the GDT that people are leaving early.  Most games have 7000 or less in attendance and max attendance is under 11000 so it does not take a long time to get out of the garage.

You are right about the same people always leaving early.

One day if coach Ford sticks around another 15 years with successful teams then the Billikens basketball ticket will be a hard ticket to get and more fans will stick around.

Little Bill, thank you for raising this issue.  I have seats in 102, and we're constantly getting obstructed by folks showing up late.  Also, is halftime not long enough?  They put a clock up on the scoreboard to tell you exactly when the second half will be starting.  Yet, you still get people wandering to their seats 2 minutes into the second half.  Show up on time.  Get back to your seats before the 2nd half starts.  If you can't do these two things, then wait until a stoppage before finding your seats.

Speaking of finding your seats, the same three or four rows that are in front of us in 103 have a real problem with knowing where their seats are.  For some reason, these folks spend a good 30 seconds in the aisle during the game trying to determine where they are sitting.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I have thought often that during t-shirt and ball tosses, they should put the cheerleaders between the 100 level and the 200 level and have them toss stuff both directions.  With where my seats are, my kids have about 25 Billiken balls and we have more t-shirts that we can handle.  The people in the first so many rows don't need anymore free merch.

I have a policy now with my kids.  They can wave their hands around and try to catch a ball or a t-shirt, but if they do, they bring it to me, and then I chuck it to some kids I find in the 200 level.

almaman likes this

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They used to have sling shots that launched the ball way up in the stands.  2 cheerleaders would hold an end and another cheerleader would pull the sling shot back and launch the ball.

I think they also had a cannon that would launch the shirts.

It might be a liability issue however fans fighting for the ball or shirt might be one too.

At savis. I had an usher ask me what I was doing just standing in the tunnel. I said I was waiting for a stoppage in play. She said, we don’t do that and waved me on.  That’s a few years back but the ushers were sure not stopping people there from getting to their seats whenever. Maybe that was just the upper deck where all the rabble were.......

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

and i get your thoughts.   good for you you waited for that timeout to get a beer, hit the head, etc.   

47 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have thought often that during t-shirt and ball tosses, they should put the cheerleaders between the 100 level and the 200 level and have them toss stuff both directions.

They did this when Chaifetz first opened.  Some cheerleaders would stand near the bottom of the 200 level and toss balls / shirts up to the folks in those 200 sections.  I have no idea why they stopped that.

53 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Little Bill, thank you for raising this issue.  I have seats in 102, and we're constantly getting obstructed by folks showing up late.  Also, is halftime not long enough?  They put a clock up on the scoreboard to tell you exactly when the second half will be starting.  Yet, you still get people wandering to their seats 2 minutes into the second half.  Show up on time.  Get back to your seats before the 2nd half starts.  If you can't do these two things, then wait until a stoppage before finding your seats.

Speaking of finding your seats, the same three or four rows that are in front of us in 103 have a real problem with knowing where their seats are.  For some reason, these folks spend a good 30 seconds in the aisle during the game trying to determine where they are sitting.

I think the ushers are currently just concierge as they are now

-the tennis players could hit some of the give-a-ways as well, until someone gets hurt I would use the other sports teams in getting some of the give-a-ways higher in the stands, let the cheer/dance have some for the first 6 rows

-or get that cannon like in the state farm commercial, I still enjoy that commercial, heck get state farm or another entity to sponsor it

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

So, kind of an old man type of complaint here - but has anyone else been frustrated with the amount of people that walk to their seats during play? I sit in 115 and it is amazing how many times during a game we have to look around people going down the stairs at mid-court or sit there waiting for people to get to their seats as the whole row stands up in front of them, so we miss the action. I always have considered it stadium etiquette to wait until a stop in play until I go to my seats. Am I alone with this?

I have the same problem.  For some reason people today do not think about who they are impacting when they arrive late and do not wait for a stoppage of play. To make it worse, people decide to go get up to leave or go to the bathroom or whatever whenever the mood strikes them.  It is one of my pet peeves.  To make matters worse, the beer sales guys do the same thing - they stand up and blocking your view as they pass beer down the aisle or when they are looking for customers.