Bubble Watch 2020

-Jacobs has to lead the team in fouls committed where the basket is also made leading to a 3pt play opportunity, that part of his game is very irritating to me, if you are going to foul for heaven's sake don't let the ball get to the rim

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Any games we need to pay attention to today for the bubble? Or are all of them a part of tomorrow's gauntlet?

Root against:

UCLA, texas, nc state, miss state, Purdue, Memphis, Rhody, Arkansas, Uconn, Richmond, Stanford, Xavier, Whitcha state, Texas tech, Indiana, Aizona state, Oklahoma, Rutgers, USC.

^^^

If the teams on my right are playing any teams on the left side, root for teams on the right side. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Root against:

UCLA, texas, nc state, miss state, Purdue, Memphis, Rhody, Arkansas, Uconn, Richmond, Stanford, Xavier, Whitcha state, Texas tech, Indiana, Aizona state, Oklahoma, Rutgers, USC.

^^^

If the teams on my right are playing any teams on the left side, root for teams on the right side. 

My only caveat is that I think we want Richmond to make the A10 finals in the hypothetical world that we beat Dayton in the semis. Give us the best ranked opponent we can get. 

1 minute ago, glazedandconfused said:

My only caveat is that I think we want Richmond to make the A10 finals in the hypothetical world that we beat Dayton in the semis. Give us the best ranked opponent we can get. 

They are also our best win as of now.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Root against:

^^^

I am baffled when i see anyone think arkansas, a ninth place team with  a 7-11 record is a bubble team. the usual mid major shafting i guess

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I am baffled when i see anyone think arkansas, a ninth place team with  a 7-11 record is a bubble team. the usual mid major shafting i guess

Agreed. it is frustrating, but it seems to be a current issue. Tho, I think Arkansas has a far outside chance.  

12 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I get what you're saying.  But obviously if we play them its because we beat Dayton.  How I see it is if we dont beat Dayton, we would need Richmond to lose as soon as possible. If we beat Dayton I hope Richmond continues winning etc

Just now, wgstl said:

I get what you're saying.  But obviously if we play them its because we beat Dayton.  How I see it is if we dont beat Dayton, we would need Richmond to lose as soon as possible. If we beat Dayton I hope Richmond continues winning etc

If we don't be Dayton we are not getting in the NCAA tournament at-large no matter what.

SLU_Nick likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we don't be Dayton we are not getting in the NCAA tournament at-large no matter what.

What if Dayton is upset in the quarters, and we lose in the final in a heartbreaker.  I still think we would be bubblicious

19 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Any games we need to pay attention to today for the bubble? Or are all of them a part of tomorrow's gauntlet?

Yes.  Let's get this threat back on track:

Unfortunately, there no real bubble games today.  St. Marys absolutely locked up their bid by beating BYU last night and a loss to Gonzaga won't change that.  We're probably rooting for St. Mary's to knock off Gonzaga in convincing fashion so that Dayton has a shot at a #1 seed even if we beat them.

No other games involve NCAA teams or any teams close to the bubble.  Closest would be Virginia Tech (NET 80, 16-15) who plays UNC (NET 81, but with a 13-18 overall record they aren't sniffing the NCAAs).  If you can stomach it, rooting for UNC makes sense just to avoid some potential VaTech run to the ACC finals that results in them being a bubble team.  We'll also want the winner of that game to knock of Syracuse in the next round and I think UNC has a better shot.

Also best to root for #1 seeds in the lower level conference tournaments so there aren't as many NIT auto-bids to conference champs who lose their tournaments.  Unless you think SLU is already locked into a top 2 NIT seed in which case maybe drawing one of those NIT auto-bid teams in round 1 would be a good thing.  I'd rather just have more NIT spots available to deserving teams though.

Mods (@SluSignGuy or @davidnark) can we move all of the COVID-19 stuff to a different thread and leave this one focused on the NCAA bubble?  Like everything else a global pandemic has  been politicized so it may be best to limit COVID-19 discussion solely to news on what it is doing to basketball tournaments, etc. instead of opinions or hearsay from someone's neighbor who may / may not be a doctor.  If you're looking for COVID-19 news or information, go get it from a reliable news source and not a basketball message board.

I'll just add that everyone should be washing their hands no matter what their political views are.  With that in mind, here is how to wash your hands to Nelly's Hot in Herre.  While you wash & sing, you can picture Murphy Lee bouncing around in that Andrew Latimer SLU jersey.

2586211388208709632.png

Not sure how much it impacts our bubble watch, but Wake and Pitt are playing at the moment and both teams played BC. Pitt beat BC by two and Wake and BC split. Very entertaining game so far with Wake up 28-23 at the nine minute mark.

2 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Not really. 

Maybe a little with the West Coast Conference Final. Saint Mary's punched their ticket by beating BYU yesterday. But if they're blown out by Gonzaga and we beat the Bonnies and Dayton, we could be jockeying with them for seeding.

All other conference finals tonight - Horizon, Summit, CAA, Northeast - are one bids. 

10 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Tomorrow we want:

Pitt to beat NC State : 1:00

Nebraska to beat Indiana: 7:25

Arkansas to lose to Vandy: 8:00

Stanford to lose to Cal: 8:00

Xavier to lose to DePaul: 8:30

I'll add a few more (some of these teams shouldn't still have a shot at the NCAAs, but better to not leave anything to chance with the selection committee):

Miami over Clemson: 11am

Utah over Oregon State: 2pm

Arizona over Washington: 4:30pm

Northwestern over Minnesota: 5pm

Iowa St over Oklahome St: 6pm

BC over Notre Dame: 6pm (double for SLU having played BC earlier in the year)

KState over TCU: 8pm (neither has any hope at NCAAs, but we played KState)

UNC over Syracuse: 8pm

50 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Tomorrow we want:

Pitt to beat NC State : 1:00

Nebraska to beat Indiana: 7:25

Arkansas to lose to Vandy: 8:00

Stanford to lose to Cal: 8:00

Xavier to lose to DePaul: 8:30

NCSU by 5

Ind by 10

Ark by 9

Stan by 10

X by 11

Sorry no help....Root for Neb to shoot less than 58% from the FT line so we can get out of the cellar.

36 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'll add a few more (some of these teams shouldn't still have a shot at the NCAAs, but better to not leave anything to chance with the selection committee):

Miami over Clemson: 11am

Utah over Oregon State: 2pm

Arizona over Washington: 4:30pm

Northwestern over Minnesota: 5pm

Iowa St over Oklahome St: 6pm

BC over Notre Dame: 6pm (double for SLU having played BC earlier in the year)

KState over TCU: 8pm (neither has any hope at NCAAs, but we played KState)

UNC over Syracuse: 8pm

Clem by 2

Or St by 1

Ariz by 6

Minn by 9

Ok St by 2

ND by 8

TCU by 1

UNC by 1

Well at least it was better than B Ber ...showing a couple of wins with some other close possibilities.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

NCSU by 5

Ind by 10

Ark by 9

Stan by 10

X by 11

Sorry no help....Root for Neb to shoot less than 58% from the FT line so we can get out of the cellar.

What would the trending line on Arkansas Vandy be? Vandy has been playing better as of late

34 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

What would the trending line on Arkansas Vandy be? Vandy has been playing better as of late

Ark ...A- team...trending at B

Vandy...C+ team...trending at B

You are correct ...Vandy has played better...recently about the same as Ark...but Ark is the better team ....Vandy is missing 3 players due to injury... and it's crunch time...I think Vandy will stay close for awhile....but 9 pts will be too much to overcome....

41 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Clem by 2

Or St by 1

Ariz by 6

Minn by 9

Ok St by 2

ND by 8

TCU by 1

UNC by 1

Well at least it was better than B Ber ...showing a couple of wins with some other close possibilities.

I'm not sure B Ber or I actually think those will be the results.  We're just saying those are the results we're hoping for to move SLU closer to an at-large and/or keep other teams from jumping into the bubble discussion.

It is pretty obvious that if we're hoping a lesser team knocks them off the bubble, they are most likely going to be favored in the game.

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure B Ber or I actually think those will be the results.  We're just saying those are the results we're hoping for to move SLU closer to an at-large and/or keep other teams from jumping into the bubble discussion.

It is pretty obvious that if we're hoping a lesser team knocks them off the bubble, they are most likely going to be favored in the game.

I realize BBer and you were were looking at best case scenarios ...I was just showing what the possibilities were.  In your post besides the 2 wins ,  there is a good chance that 2 or 3 other games you picked could flip 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28878321/jay-bilas-college-basketball-rankings-2019-20-version-40

So, Jay Bilas has us in at #65 in the Bilas Index pre-tournament edition.  However, he says in his description that we will need to win the A-10 tournament to "make the cut."  I assume that this takes into account getting bumped by auto-qualifiers.

Richmond at 44 and Dayton at 4 were the only other A-10 teams on this list of 68.