Bubble Watch 2020

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

no doubt beating dayton in the semi's would jump the NET some, but not sure if a loss then in the championship to say duquesne or lower doesnt put us back to where we were.   i still think that maybe richmond is the only team with a shot at an at large without winning the tourney.  hope i am wrong for the conferences sake.   one bid for the A-10 this year would be horrible.   imo the fact we have no other teams with an obvious at large bid right now screams they dont have the net formula right imo.

FWIW, Bracketologists.com has Dayton, of course, in as a 1-seed, Richmond as a 10-seed, and we're one of the first four out.  The three possible opponents before we meet Dayton are all Q3 teams, so a win won't enhance our NET very much.  A win over Dayton, of course, means a big up-spike in NET, but as you say, Roy, a loss in the championship game could knock us out, unless it's "just" another buzzer-beater loss a la the Dayton game.

So many variables, so little time.  The simple solution is just win all three games.

Edited by unclecarl

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we have a few days, would the board prefer to have Dayton upset before the semifinal (making a path to the championship easier) or have to play Dayton?  Let’s assume that if beat Dayton, we’d make the dance even if we lost the final. 

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Semi-related: I saw Jerry Palm on TV during halftime of one of the Arch Madness games this weekend.  I'm not sure if I had ever actually seen the guy before.  He is a mess.

Mom, meatloaf!

joe_davola and Box and Won like this

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Since we have a few days, would the board prefer to have Dayton upset before the semifinal (making a path to the championship easier) or have to play Dayton?  Let’s assume that if beat Dayton, we’d make the dance even if we lost the final. 

I want the Flyers. 

Billiken Rich likes this

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Give me the easiest path to win the A10 title. We'll get our revenge against Dayton in the elite 8.

If SLU beats Dayton they will win the championship.  It would be Dayton’s first loss to a conference team all season no other team in the A10 has done that.  The team has improved a lot since UMass, 3 more wins for an 8 or 9 seed.

48 minutes ago, unclecarl said:

FWIW, Bracketologists.com has Dayton, of course, in as a 1-seed, Richmond as a 10-seed, and we're one of the first four out.  The three possible opponents before we meet Dayton are all Q3 teams, so a win won't enhance our NET very much.  A win over Dayton, of course, means a big up-spike in NET, but as you say, Roy, a loss in the championship game could knock us out, unless it's "just" another buzzer-beater loss a la the Dayton game.

So many variables, so little time.  The simple solution is just win all three games.

I think SLU has to win the A10 Tournament to get in the NCAA.  If SLU plays and beats Dayton Saturday, then just like last year, the Winner of the whole enchilada on Sunday goes to the NCAA with the Auto Bid (obviously).   If SLU loses that game, it hosts a first round NIT game, which is also the case if SLU loses to Dayton on Saturday.

31 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

no dayton.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

no doubt beating dayton in the semi's would jump the NET some, but not sure if a loss then in the championship to say duquesne or lower doesnt put us back to where we were.   i still think that maybe richmond is the only team with a shot at an at large without winning the tourney.  hope i am wrong for the conferences sake.   one bid for the A-10 this year would be horrible.   imo the fact we have no other teams with an obvious at large bid right now screams they dont have the net formula right imo.

It would jump the NET far more than a loss in the finals would drop it. Even to Duquesne. There's Duquesne's NET, and then there's their NET after knocking off URI and Richmond, presumably. That's probably a 15 slot jump

I'll continue to be pro NET and pro the committee. The two big problems with the A-10 and bids: (1) the team with the 2nd strongest OOC profile was VCU, but then they imploded. If VCU had finished top 4, they'd be the 2nd team; (2) nobody beat Dayton. Think of Dayton as a 10 point NET jump. Dayton's NET is still top 10 if they go 16-2. SLU's NET would likely be in the 30s, and URI's in the 40s with that win. Richmond probably needs two wins, as does SLU. 

5 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

We're going to have to beat St. Bonnie before we worry about Dayton.

this is what im saying. Im feeling good about our team right now, but doesnt mean we're good enough to look past anyone on a neutral court 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

this is what im saying. Im feeling good about our team right now, but doesnt mean we're good enough to look past anyone on a neutral court 

That's what drive me crazy about having the tourney so far away. It's almost always tilted against us as far as fans go.

24 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I think beating Dayton, and/or winning the whole kaboodle, gets us in.  I also expect St. Bon. to shoot much better on Friday, so don't look TOO far ahead...

Good point, Doc.  We played great D, but SBU missed a TON of shots.  Additionally, I doubt we'll have as friendly a referee crew as we had on Saturday night.  They let us play big time bully ball.  

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That's what drive me crazy about having the tourney so far away. It's almost always tilted against us as far as fans go.

I don't expect very good crowds based on previous tournaments, and coronavirus fears could keep attendance down even more this season.

We're 7-4 on the road, 1-1 on neutral floors (and we've already discussed how those weren't exactly neutral).

Bonaventure is 7-7 on the road but 3-0 on neutral courts - a win over Rutgers in Canada and wins over San Diego and FAU in the Boca Beach Classic.

They're going to have more fans there than us, just as with the final last season. Of course, they also have to get by Mason or St. Joe's first.

55 minutes ago, Brighton said:

K.

be careful what we wish for.

If the alternative is playing in that other March tournament, so be it. St. Bonaventure will play better than they did Friday night. I think that absent winning the A10 tourney, a win over Dayton is the only shot at avoiding the NIT.

It's one game at a time, fellow MBM'ers. That said, I'd just as soon avoid Dayton again, although, I'd say they're likely gonna take it all.  Yes, we gave them two good games. In fact we got jobbed by a prayer 3 in the first one, but they are going to be going all out to get the prestige of being a #1 seed. Not that they didn't go all out in their games against us, but this is a big motivating factor for them. Plus, you know they'll have the SVU crowd out in full force. Flyers have become sort of a symbol of hope for the Dayton community given the tragic shooting and the tornado. Those SVU'ers ain't gonna let a little thing like Coronavirus keep them from their beloved Flyers.