Bubble Watch 2020

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

If SLU wins the A10 tournament what would their seeding be in the big dance?

Beating Dayton and making it is one thing but a better seed puts SLU in a position to play an opponent that is even with them instead of having to upset one of the blue bloods.

It is nice to be in a position that winning a conference tournament is a real possibility instead of a long shot.

When we won the A10 conference last year, I believe we got a 13th seed at the Dance.

@Old guy:  we did, but we came literally from out of nowhere as the sixth seed in our conference.  I'd be curious to know who we knocked out by getting that autobid.  Who were the first four out last year?  Lunardi's page doesn't go back that far in the current archives.

Last year, which was the only one I found, the last teams being considered were NC State, Belmont, Indiana, NC-Greensboro and Alabama.  I know Belmont got it.  Our win bounced somebody.

As far as I recall, last season we were predicted to be dead last in the A10 conference and it was kind of amazing that we ended conference at the level we finished at. Then swept the A10 tournament and won the automatic bid. We had a better conference standing this year coming into the last 5 conference games. I also think at the beginning of conference play this season a lot more was predicted for us that did not happen up to the last 5 games. We finished with a 4th seed this year, and I  see SLU  as a possible winner of the A10 tournament.

The circumstances for last year were different, but they were also similar in a certain way. How that will affect the outcome at the A-10 Tournament I do not know. If we win the A10 tournament, it  would be nice if we are seeded at a better level than last year.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As far as I recall, last season we were predicted to be dead last in the A10 conference and it was kind of amazing that we ended conference at the level we finished at. Then swept the A10 tournament and won the automatic bid. We had a better conference standing this year coming into the last 5 conference games. I also think at the beginning of conference play this season a lot more was predicted for us that did not happen up to the last 5 games. We finished with a 4th seed this year, and I  see SLU  as a possible winner of the A10 tournament.

The circumstances for last year were different, but they were also similar in a certain way. How that will affect the outcome at the A-10 Tournament I do not know. If we win the A10 tournament, it  would be nice if we are seeded at a better level than last year.

We were predicted 1st actually I believe 

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Old guy:  we did, but we came literally from out of nowhere as the sixth seed in our conference.  I'd be curious to know who we knocked out by getting that autobid.  Who were the first four out last year?  Lunardi's page doesn't go back that far in the current archives.

Last year, which was the only one I found, the last teams being considered were NC State, Belmont, Indiana, NC-Greensboro and Alabama.  I know Belmont got it.  Our win bounced somebody.

We knocked out Texas, who went on to win the NIT

Of those considered(I know NET may or may not be a big deal but its all we have to go off of):

Purdue 33 net, next: #7 osu

Arkansas 47 net, next:  #14 vandy

SLU 49 net, next: tbd

State 50 net, next: tbd 

RI 57 net, next: tbd

Memphis 58 net, next: #11 East Carolina 

Uconn 59 net, next: #12 Tulane - c'mon green waves

Tennessee 63 net, next: #9 alabama

South Carolina 67 net, next: tbd

Tulsa 78 net, next: tbd

-I thought HP had posted the selection criteria but I didn't see it on a quick check so I went to ncaa.com and will post it below, but on the site it has a couple blurbs in a Did You Know? box and the first one is "there's no limit to the number of teams from a conference that can be selected for participation in the tourney." - is this saying "hello Big 10"? as is the last line....

-from the site..

Selection Criteria

The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its second year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

• An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
  • Complete box scores and results.
  • Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
  • Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
  • Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
  • The quality of wins and losses.
  • Road record.
  • Player and coach availability.
  • Various computer metrics.

Team Sheets

The committee often refers to "team sheets" when comparing team performance. The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against teams sorted by quadrants and results.

Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings. In addition, a team’s schedule and results are now broken down in four quadrants that place greater emphasis on games played on neutral courts and in true road environments. The quadrant breakdown is as follows:

• Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

Download team sheets

Seeding

The committee creates a seed list 1 through 68 — which is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of this national championship. Additionally, the seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket.

Automatic Qualifiers: A total of 32 conferences will place an automatic qualifier in the NCAA tournament field. These qualifiers are determined by conference tournaments.

At-Large: With the tournament field of 68, there are 36 at-large spots after the automatic qualifiers. The committee selects the 36 best teams to fill the at-large berths. There is no limit on the number of at-large teams the committee may select from one conference.

-and those making the decisions...

Meet the Committee

Kevin White
Division I Men’s Basketball Committee chair and director of athletics at Duke University

White began service on the committee Sept. 1, 2015 and is serving as chair of the committee for 2019-20.

Other Committee Members Include:

• Mitch Barnhart, director of athletics, University of Kentucky
  • Tom Burnett, commissioner, Southland Conference
  • Charles McClelland, commissioner, Southwestern Athletic Conference
  • Bernadette McGlade, commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
  • Michael O’Brien, vice president and director of athletics, University of Toledo
  • Jim Phillips, vice president for athletics and recreation, Northwestern University
  • Jamie Pollard, director of athletics, Iowa State University
  • Chris Reynolds, vice president for intercollegiate athletics, Bradley University
  • Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference
    Did You Know?

Conference representatives cannot be in the room when teams from their conference are being discussed for inclusion, nor are they allowed to vote for them. Same goes for a school representative, who cannot participate in or vote for their own school.

Committee members are assigned to conferences to monitor play throughout the season.

no doubt beating dayton in the semi's would jump the NET some, but not sure if a loss then in the championship to say duquesne or lower doesnt put us back to where we were.   i still think that maybe richmond is the only team with a shot at an at large without winning the tourney.  hope i am wrong for the conferences sake.   one bid for the A-10 this year would be horrible.   imo the fact we have no other teams with an obvious at large bid right now screams they dont have the net formula right imo.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

We were predicted 1st actually I believe 

During the prior season, just before conference play or soon thereafter we were were expected to be 1st counting from the bottom as I recall. Now if you want to talk about the wild summer predictions, yeah the sky was the limit, it always is.

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no doubt beating dayton in the semi's would jump the NET some, but not sure if a loss then in the championship to say duquesne or lower doesnt put us back to where we were.   i still think that maybe richmond is the only team with a shot at an at large without winning the tourney.  hope i am wrong for the conferences sake.   one bid for the A-10 this year would be horrible.   imo the fact we have no other teams with an obvious at large bid right now screams they dont have the net formula right imo.

A loss in the championship would put as at 24-9 with a NET ranking likely in the 30s and a win over a top 5 team on a neutral court. We also would have won 7 of our last 8. Nothing is certain, but that should put us in the dance.  

52 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Indiana has as much business in the NCAAs as SIUE. Plus, their fans are imbeciles. 

And the entire Nation, Coast to Coast and across the Fruited Plain, is clamoring to see those 16-15 Purdue Boilermakers.  All those Neil Armstrong fans out there are practically salivating.

Notre Dame Football Highlights on Sunday mornings, as the camera showed the scoreboard:  "Purdue failed to move the ball, so we move to further action in the 3rd Quarter."

JettFlight5 likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

We also had a NET of 103.

True, we have a much better NET number this year, and it probably will get even better after tournament play. Assuming we do get to  go to the Dance, I have no idea how the better performance this season will affect the seeding.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

True, we have a much better NET number this year, and it probably will get even better after tournament play. Assuming we do get to  go to the Dance, I have no idea how the better performance this season will affect the seeding.

We will probably be a 11. O could see a sweet 16 run the way we are playing