Goodwin: One of the top underrated CBB players

moytoy12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a Russell Westbrook like mentality along with his quickness, athleticism, and a gift for scoring. NBA scouts keep your eyes on him, he could be a steal in the late second round or even as an undrafted prospect.

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.  — Signed, FanMan.

12 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.  — Signed, FanMan.

Was thinking the same thing. It's ridiculously hard to make the NBA, but one way to cut in line is to do something really well. Pat Connaughton averaged 12 and 7 his senior year at Notre Dame. But he could shoot. Has stuck in the league as a great shooter with size who doesn't kill you on defense. Goodwin does one thing better than any other guard: rebound. I still wouldn't bet on it, but the notion that one a homer could imagine Goodwin ever making the league is ridiculous. 

imo the one thing that will get noticed by scouts first about goodwin is his heart and desire.   the kid plays hard.   arguably the hardest working billiken i've ever seen.   he also has the right physical dimensions for a guard.   good height, right weight for that frame.    no denying the rebounding.   i've been saying since i  first saw him in high school he might be the best rebounder i've ever seen including the likes of rodman.   he is relentless.   last he is a good athlete.   he's not a david thompson freak, but i think with the dunks we saw Sunday, we can all agree he has god given athleticism.  

but when it is all said and done, the shooting will keep him out.   he needs to become at least an average shooter from the field and the three line and make free throws.   if he cannot, even with all the pluses he wont stick.   his mechanics at his age are hard to change.   he's been the shooter he is  for over half his life.   hard habits to change.   

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo the one thing that will get noticed by scouts first about goodwin is his heart and desire.   the kid plays hard.   arguably the hardest working billiken i've ever seen.   he also has the right physical dimensions for a guard.   good height, right weight for that frame.    no denying the rebounding.   i've been saying since i  first saw him in high school he might be the best rebounder i've ever seen including the likes of rodman.   he is relentless.   last he is a good athlete.   he's not a david thompson freak, but i think with the dunks we saw Sunday, we can all agree he has god given athleticism.  

but when it is all said and done, the shooting will keep him out.   he needs to become at least an average shooter from the field and the three line and make free throws.   if he cannot, even with all the pluses he wont stick.   his mechanics at his age are hard to change.   he's been the shooter he is  for over half his life.   hard habits to change.   

I hadn't ever thought of the Westbrook comparison, but it's an apt one. 

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The race between Goodwin, fatts, Daly, and Mitchell will be a blast next year.

i love watching daly play.   he obviously is limited, but man does he get the most out of what he has.   

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Goodwin's shooting has improved fairly significantly year over year. He's hitting mid range jump shots pretty regularly; more so than in past seasons. Plus, he used to be able to shoot foul shots. You know he'll be working hard in the off season, so I'd expect future improvement, hopefully, in 3P% and FT%.

Yr              PT         FG%      3P%    FT%

19/20     15.6       47.7       28.3     52.7

18/19      10.5      40.3       26.3    51.1 

17/18      11.5      37.2       23.5    69.1

Zink likes this

18 minutes ago, David King said:

Goodwin's shooting has improved fairly significantly year over year. He's hitting mid range jump shots pretty regularly; more so than in past seasons. Plus, he used to be able to shoot foul shots. You know he'll be working hard in the off season, so I'd expect future improvement, hopefully, in 3P% and FT%.

i hope you are correct.   

20 minutes ago, David King said:

30% from 3 if you subtract the 3 shots he was forced to take from deep to avoid a shot clock violations sunday. Those werent shots he would have taken for any other reason and was handed the ball in the final seconds. 

The one aspect (besides FT shooting) that is so hard to watch is when he just throws up a prayer 2-3’ from the basket.  He did this late in the St Joes game when we have a guy going off for 33 points and he backs up, pushes his way in, backs up, muscles his way in the paint and with his back to the basket throws up a prayer that could have cost us the game in the final few minutes.  French is guilty of this some too.  With  Perkins breaking out with back to back 25 point efforts a few games ago and now 33...there’s a new sheriff in town and he needs to be fed the ball.

1 minute ago, Spoonball18 said:

The one aspect (besides FT shooting) that is so hard to watch is when he just throws up a prayer 2-3’ from the basket.  He did this late in the St Joes game when we have a guy going off for 33 points and he backs up, pushes his way in, backs up, muscles his way in the paint and with his back to the basket throws up a prayer that could have cost us the game in the final few minutes.  French is guilty of this some too.  With  Perkins breaking out with back to back 25 point efforts a few games ago and now 33...there’s a new sheriff in town and he needs to be fed the ball.

Agreed.  Like Weaver, it has taken some time for Perkins to settle into his role on the team.  He is comfortable now and we need to let him do his best thing--score.  Like Justin Love, he's the guy you want taking the shots, especially if there will be a contested shot.  If the shot clock hits 5 and we haven't found a good look yet, get the ball to Perkins and let him create his own shot.

27 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

Coach Ford agrees with you.  That's why Perkins has shot the ball at least 17 times in 3 of the last 5 games.  The only reason he shot the ball only 10 times against La Salle was because he fouled out.  And of course the Fordham game was a low scoring game in which Goodwin had the hot hand.

The more worried defenses become about stopping Perkins, the easier it should become for French and Goodwin to score.  That's what been missing from the offense -- getting our top 3 guys going at the same time.

TheDude and slufanskip like this

11 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

So are we going to play 1 on 5 on offense? I get that's not what you're saying, but you can't feed one player as if he's the only one allowed to try and score. JGood is shooting 49% from inside the arc this year and if you take just shots inside of 4-5 feet, I'm sure it's higher. And in this game he only had 4 misses inside the arc, so reality probably doesn't match perception on what was happening just as it doesn't when people were saying we just gave Daly open looks for 3. Can you find a play or 2 that looked bad, yes I'm sure you can. 

JGood had a poor offensive game but you have to look at the entire picture not just a few isolated moments. I can find far more moments of JGood dominating someone inside than I can of him backing someone down and throwing up a brick this season. I get sometimes his strength makes his shot look awful inside but in the end the results overall are pretty darn good and it doesn't make sense to stop doing something successful due to a few isolated bad misses.

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

So are we going to play 1 on 5 on offense? I get that's not what you're saying, but you can't feed one player as if he's the only one allowed to try and score. JGood is shooting 49% from inside the arc this year and if you take just shots inside of 4-5 feet, I'm sure it's higher. And in this game he only had 4 misses inside the arc, so reality probably doesn't match perception on what was happening just as it doesn't when people were saying we just gave Daly open looks for 3. Can you find a play or 2 that looked bad, yes I'm sure you can. 

JGood had a poor offensive game but you have to look at the entire picture not just a few isolated moments. I can find far more moments of JGood dominating someone inside than I can of him backing someone down and throwing up a brick this season. I get sometimes his strength makes his shot look awful inside but in the end the results overall are pretty darn good and it doesn't make sense to stop doing something successful due to a few isolated bad misses.

JGood is a great player but not a great shooter.  He lacks some judgment at times and that’s when you see some crazy shot.  There are 3 legit scorers now and there is no need to do this crap.  In the middle of a 33 point effort you decide to throw up a prayer with your back 8 feet from the basket??  Ford was livid!  You could see him look straight to the bench after a very animated gesture.

7 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

JGood is a great player but not a great shooter.  He lacks some judgment at times and that’s when you see some crazy shot.  There are 3 legit scorers now and there is no need to do this crap.  In the middle of a 33 point effort you decide to throw up a prayer with your back 8 feet from the basket??  Ford was livid!  You could see him look straight to the bench after a very animated gesture.

There isn't a good scorer that doesn't at times throw up a crazy shot. The thing is what makes him and other scorers great is the confidence that they can score at any time. Somehow I don't believe it was his desire to "throw up a prayer" with his back to the basket. 

So when you say  " With  Perkins breaking out with back to back 25 point efforts a few games ago and now 33...there’s a new sheriff in town and he needs to be fed the ball" What exactly are you suggesting?

I bet I could pick 20 poor judgement shots by Perkins this year. When his efficiency was bad, I wanted him to reign it in. In the end I now believe I was wrong. Had he reigned it in and quit being who he is he probably doesn't have the big games he's now having. I don't want him or JGood over thinking it. Let them play. Both of them plus Has will throw up an ill advised shot now and then, so be it.   

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

There isn't a good scorer that doesn't at times throw up a crazy shot. The thing is what makes him and other scorers great is the confidence that they can score at any time. Somehow I don't believe it was his desire to "throw up a prayer" with his back to the basket. 

So when you say  " With  Perkins breaking out with back to back 25 point efforts a few games ago and now 33...there’s a new sheriff in town and he needs to be fed the ball" What exactly are you suggesting?

I bet I could pick 20 poor judgement shots by Perkins this year. When his efficiency was bad, I wanted him to reign it in. In the end I now believe I was wrong. Had he reigned it in and quit being who he is he probably doesn't have the big games he's now having. I don't want him or JGood over thinking it. Let them play. Both of them plus Has will throw up an ill advised shot now and then, so be it.   

Know the situation.  Ride the hot hand.  There are times to maybe force it and times to be aware!  

1 minute ago, Spoonball18 said:

Know the situation.  Ride the hot hand.  There are times to maybe force it and times to be aware!  

You're picking out 1 shot. However your post suggests that JGood should give way to the new sheriff in town. The same can be said about Perkins at times. He's forced a lot of shots this year. So the next time he does it again and JGood has a great game do we switch back to JGood being the new old sheriff. 

My disagreement isn't with whether or not he threw up a bad shot or not. It's with your statement that he needs to feed the new sheriff in town. That suggests much more than he shouldn't have taken that one shot. 

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford agrees with you.  That's why Perkins has shot the ball at least 17 times in 3 of the last 5 games.  The only reason he shot the ball only 10 times against La Salle was because he fouled out.  And of course the Fordham game was a low scoring game in which Goodwin had the hot hand.

The more worried defenses become about stopping Perkins, the easier it should become for French and Goodwin to score.  That's what been missing from the offense -- getting our top 3 guys going at the same time.

I bet Coach Ford agrees with Perkins needs to continue to be aggressive and look to score. However, I'm 100% sure he disagrees with the suggestion that JGood become less aggressive and give way to Perkins.  I'm also sure he can pick out ill advised shots from every player on the team but understands that it's occasionally going to happen with every good scorer. 

3star_recruit likes this