Had not noticed anyone comments on Matter's...

Schasz

17 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Bingo!

And I'd argue this isn't just a Mizzou problem.  While I love the game, college hoops has a regular season problem, particularly with its non-conference schedules.  There are just too many crappy games or games in half-empty stadiums.  The more schools can schedule teams that generate increased local interest, the better.  And while Mizzou fans can say they don't care, a game against SLU would be a sell-out in either gym.

A big issue is that "good/relatively popular" teams (who can generate money from their own games) can likely make a lot more money by paying two crappy schools/teams for two home games than they would if they played a home and home against a good team.  Therefore, those schools (including SLU & Mizzou) fill up their schedules with buy games against crappy teams instead of home and homes vs good teams.

2 hours ago, TJHawk said:

What does Mizzou have that SLU doesn't?  

probably your best post at billikens.com ever.

27 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Bingo!

And I'd argue this isn't just a Mizzou problem.  While I love the game, college hoops has a regular season problem, particularly with its non-conference schedules.  There are just too many crappy games or games in half-empty stadiums.  The more schools can schedule teams that generate increased local interest, the better.  And while Mizzou fans can say they don't care, a game against SLU would be a sell-out in either gym.

-and it is only going to get worse as the big conferences increase the number of conf games they play and will use the excuse we don't have to play school XYZ because we play so many quality opponents in conference, the only bright side is conf games before the new year to break up the teams from the MEAC and SWAC (and their budgets will take a hit as there are fewer buy games they get to play)

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

A big issue is that "good/relatively popular" teams (who can generate money from their own games) can likely make a lot more money by paying two crappy schools/teams for two home games than they would if they played a home and home against a good team.  Therefore, those schools (including SLU & Mizzou) fill up their schedules with buy games against crappy teams instead of home and homes vs good teams.

-this is interesting that the dollars might work the way you describe

55 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

That might be true for a game vs. some non-local interest opponent, but I don't know if that's true of the big local rivalry games.  Like I know Mizzou has played Temple in a home and home during the past 2 years.  Solid game, but not likely to move the needle for the average fan the same way a SLU or even Missouri State game would. 

My point is also not just about direct ticket sales.  Outside of the true hard core fans, college bball isn't generating enough interest in November and December and more games like SLU-Mizzou are needed.  The move to the SEC was also an awful move for the Mizzou bball program, so they could use all the buzz-generating games they can get.  

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

That might be true for a game vs. some non-local interest opponent, but I don't know if that's true of the big local rivalry games.  Like I know Mizzou has played Temple in a home and home during the past 2 years.  Solid game, but not likely to move the needle for the average fan the same way a SLU or even Missouri State game would. 

My point is also not just about direct ticket sales.  Outside of the true hard core fans, college bball isn't generating enough interest in November and December and more games like SLU-Mizzou are needed.  The move to the SEC was also an awful move for the Mizzou bball program, so they could use all the buzz-generating games they can get.  

They moved for the money.  Therefore what was good for the bball program was not part of the decision process.

Mizzou's current roster has more MVC type players than SEC players.
I won't disagree there.
Lots of development and more importantly some talent influx needed in CoMo.
As for which conference is better, it's the one that makes the most money: $EC.
  • Likes0
BenFred

38 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'd rather be in the SEC as a basketball school than in the A10......

what non football schools are in the SEC?   i am too lazy too look, i assume none.  i.e. we would never get in the SEC.  and since we are not a public university, we would get destroyed in the non revenue sports where we dont have the unlimited budget of those big public schools

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

what non football schools are in the SEC?   i am too lazy too look, i assume none.  i.e. we would never get in the SEC.  and since we are not a public university, we would get destroyed in the non revenue sports where we dont have the unlimited budget of those big public schools

I don’t think he is suggesting a move but just talking about the quality of the teams.