GDT: The Not So Wild-Cats

Littlebill

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're 14-5 with our two best players not being a serious threat outside of 5 feet and our best shooter out for the season.  No coach on this league could do a better job given that scenario.  Bob "Greatest Coach in the League" McKillop is 9-9 with everyone back, including two first-team All-Conference players.

Frampton is gone. Everyone is not back

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're 14-5 with our two best players not being a serious threat outside of 5 feet and our best shooter out for the season.  No coach on this league could do a better job given that scenario.  Bob "Greatest Coach in the League" McKillop is 9-9 with everyone back, including two first-team All-Conference players.

- Ford is responsible for recruiting the guys you claim are not serious threats from outside.

- Lets pump the brakes on Ford being best coach in the league until we can do better than 10-8 in conference play for a season. 

- Davidson does not have "everyone back". They are missing Frampton and Pritchett who together averaged like 18 ppg last season. Those two are better than Thatch/Jimerson 

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

OK, I'll grant you that.  We're down Jimerson and Thatch and we're 14-5.  They've got "the best coach in the league" and two returning first-team all-conference players and they're 9-9.

hes still an amazing coach.  Its not like hes pulling in even 3 stars. 

5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

- Ford is responsible for recruiting the guys you claim are not serious threats from outside.

- Lets pump the brakes on Ford being best coach in the league until we can do better than 10-8 in conference play for a season. 

- Davidson does not have "everyone back". They are missing Frampton and Pritchett who together averaged like 18 ppg last season. Those two are better than Thatch/Jimerson 

Ford is not the best game coach in the A10. 

McKillop and Schmidt have that locked up for as long as they are in the A10 (or somehow fall off the map)

Ford is a great recruiter and okay in game coach. I would rate him above average for preparation (usually) 

40 minutes ago, jweste216 said:

I don't understand why they had Yuri guarding JAG.  

that was a matchup nightmare all night.

who was he supposed to guard instead?   grady would have torn him to pieces he is so much more athletic.   pick your poison.   i pointed out earlier this week the game was a matchup problem with grady and gundmundson.   we saw it last night.  there will be more nights like this in 2020.

the elephant in the room says at this point in his career and considering the other parts to the puzzle (the billiken teamates collins will pass to) collins size makes him a target now that we are in the tougher conference part of the schedule and his big attribute of being a good passer doesnt really pay off as much as we need.   will that ever change?  i believe as he gets older and puts on muscle and knowledge, collins will be what everyone thinks he will be, but for now, he is outmanned against a lot of the a-10.  the sad part in the moment is he is likely still one of the best 5 or 6 players on the team and we got no choice but to use yuri without weakening ourselves somewhere else.   he is learning and it will hopefully pay off down the road.  

19 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

They are our best players and he recruited them three years ago.  There was something called Situation 2 that removed their complementary shooters from the team.  He's done a good job backfilling with Jimerson and Weaver but Jimerson went down.  Sh*% happens.

I'll put Coach Ford's coaching job with this team up with any A10 coach this year.  There is no standout best coach in the league.  There's about 3-4 guys who all occupy the same tier.

Davidson returns over 70% of the offense, even without  Frampton and Pritchett.  We return less than 40%.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

who was he supposed to guard instead?   grady would have torn him to pieces he is so much more athletic. 

Yes, id rather Yuri guard Grady.  Yuri has already guarded some very explosive, very talented guards. Jgood matches up with JAG better.

jweste216 likes this

28 minutes ago, papal said:

Major problem: lack of depth.  We really have only 6 decent players: 4 starters (minus Bell) and Weaver, Perkins.  Injury to Jimerson, Thatch medical condition really hurt.  We are starting to wear down.  Jacobs disappearing acts add to problem.

Crazy given all of the "we have such incredible depth" talk at the beginning of the season....

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

They are our best players and he recruited them four years ago.  There was something called Situation 2 that removed their complementary shooters from the team.  He's done a good job backfilling with Jimerson and Weaver but Jimerson went down.  Sh*% happens.

I'll put Coach Ford's coaching job with this team up with any A10 coach in the year.  There is no standout best coach in the league.  There's about 3-4 guys who all occupy the same tier.

Davidson returns over 70% of the offense, even without  Frampton and Pritchett.  We return less than 40%.

I'm pretty sure around the league there would be a consensus top 3....Grant, McKillop & Schmidt.

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Grady is a 4 star.  JAG and Lee are two of the best international players in their age group.  They would easily be three stars under the American ranking system.

I wasn't really talking about this year, more just over the last couple of years. 

But Aldridge, Collins, Frampton, pritchett, magarity so on.  McKillop, like Schmidt have been known across the league for doing more with less. 

47 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I'm pretty sure around the league there would be a consensus top 3....Grant, McKillop & Schmidt.

i wouldnt put grant with mckillop and schmidt.    good recruiter, hasnt shown he knows what to do with talent.  this year might put him in that group though.   betting he chokes it away.   

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i wouldnt put grant with mckillop and schmidt.    good recruiter, hasnt shown he knows what to do with talent.  this year might put him in that group though.   betting he chokes it away.   

I mean Dayton is arguably the best offensive team in the country right now. Grant is a significant part of that. What would you consider to be not "choking it away"? I would say a Sweet 16 appearance. 

McKillop and Schmidt are up there for sure, not Grant (yet). I'd put Dambrot and Rhoades above Grant, who I'd put in a tier with Ford. I'm excited about some of the younger coaches in the league, like Lange, Howard, and Christian.

15 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I think a lot people on here keep forgetting that we probably should have lost to Umass and started down 10 points to SIUC as well.  Our record is inflated and I’m not optimistic we don’t take an L before Dayton 

What does starting down 10 against SIUC have to do with anything?  We started up 9 against Auburn, were up 13 against Dayton, does that mean our record is deflated because we lost those games?  

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

McKillop and Schmidt are up there for sure, not Grant (yet). I'd put Dambrot and Rhoades above Grant, who I'd put in a tier with Ford. I'm excited about some of the younger coaches in the league, like Lange, Howard, and Christian.

Respectfully disagree. Pretty sure we're holding Grant to a different standard here. 

6 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Respectfully disagree. Pretty sure we're holding Grant to a different standard here. 

Grant has a much spottier track record than those other guys. We have six years of mediocrity at Alabama on Grants track record. Even less successful than Ford was at OSU. This is now his 3rd season at Dayton, and will be his first NCAA tourney appearance. He’s Dayton’s Travis Ford.

billiken_roy likes this