GDT: The Not So Wild-Cats

Littlebill

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this is the game.  thanks zebras.   must feel good to have that kind of power and use it unfairly.  french was beat to hell every time he got the ball.  while i really didnt want him shooting free throws, he should have shot as many or more than gundmundson and should have fouled out their entire inside game if the refs were doing their job equally for both teams.  

SLU's NET took a 13 spot hit to 67 after last night's loss to Davidson.

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Need to win at Dayton if we have any hope of getting an at large bid. At this point, I'd settle for a top 4 finish in conference. 

Settle? We're in 8th place. We have a ton of work to do to have a shot at 4th.

French was triple teamed last night. I thought Ford should post him in the middle at the FT line and see how Davidson responded. If they continued to smother him he could have made some passes to cutters; i.e. JGood, Perkins, or Jacobs. When he gets the ball low he's got nowhere to go. He's good enough to take guys off the dribble from out there, but he can't even dribble down low with 6 arms and legs to get thru.

This team is starting to mimic last years. 

Same style of play

FT woes

Ford being out-coached 

Strong OOC, and start to skid out mid January. 

On pace for a 10-8 record

injuries racking up

I'm way more bummed about this loss than the Dayton loss, even though I was at the UD game and it was such a big dagger.

We talked a ton about it yesterday but we really needed that win for a lot of reasons:

• We needed a bounce-back after that heartbreaking loss before a sold out home crowd to a top-10 team.
  • This puts us in the bottom half currently, with Davidson and Duquesne owning possibly crucial tiebreakers.
  • We were perfectly scouted, with our flaws on display and gave every remaining team a how-to game film of how to pick us apart.
  • We had a legitimate chance to string 5 wins together before the UD return game. Now we have no margin for error against three straight bad teams (two on the road) and absolutely must win the home game against Duquesne.
  • Davidson was picked by just about everyone as a top-3 team coming into this season. Things obviously went off the rails quickly in their season, and instead of pushing them further down, we've given them some hope that they can still make some noise in this league and fight for a Tournament bye, hurting some other teams' chances in the process.
  • We're down to 67 in the NET, clearly on the outside looking in, and not only have major work to do in our own conference to keep any Tournament hopes alive, but we need every single bubble team in other conferences to start tanking. In a year with this much parity, it's not going to happen.

Brutal loss on so many levels.

RiseAndGrind and David King like this

30 minutes ago, slu72 said:

French was triple teamed last night. I thought Ford should post him in the middle at the FT line and see how Davidson responded. If they continued to smother him he could have made some passes to cutters; i.e. JGood, Perkins, or Jacobs. When he gets the ball low he's got nowhere to go. He's good enough to take guys off the dribble from out there, but he can't even dribble down low with 6 arms and legs to get thru.

The paint was triple teamed last night.  French is a paint player.  There's no reason to smother him at the free throw line.  He's coming to the rim.  He's got nowhere else to go.

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Settle? We're in 8th place. We have a ton of work to do to have a shot at 4th.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that I'm not counting on an at large bid anymore, we need to get the double bye and win the A10 tourney again if we have any NCAA hopes. More likely scenario is a 6th place finish in conference and needing to win 4 in 4 again....

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm way more bummed about this loss than the Dayton loss, even though I was at the UD game and it was such a big dagger.

We talked a ton about it yesterday but we really needed that win for a lot of reasons:

• We needed a bounce-back after that heartbreaking loss before a sold out home crowd to a top-10 team.
  • This puts us in the bottom half currently, with Davidson and Duquesne owning possibly crucial tiebreakers.
  • We were perfectly scouted, with our flaws on display and gave every remaining team a how-to game film of how to pick us apart.
  • We had a legitimate chance to string 5 wins together before the UD return game. Now we have no margin for error against three straight bad teams (two on the road) and absolutely must win the home game against Duquesne.
  • Davidson was picked by just about everyone as a top-3 team coming into this season. Things obviously went off the rails quickly in their season, and instead of pushing them further down, we've given them some hope that they can still make some noise in this league and fight for a Tournament bye, hurting some other teams' chances in the process.
  • We're down to 67 in the NET, clearly on the outside looking in, and not only have major work to do in our own conference to keep any Tournament hopes alive, but we need every single bubble team in other conferences to start tanking. In a year with this much parity, it's not going to happen.

Brutal loss on so many levels.

I’ve just come to expect huge let down losses with all SLU teams. It’s like clockwork so i was ready for this one, but all of your points are 100 spot on 

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This team is starting to mimic last years. 

Same style of play

FT woes

Ford being out-coached 

Strong OOC, and start to skid out mid January. 

On pace for a 10-8 record

injuries racking up

I mean in terms of personnel, it's pretty much the same setup. We don't have outside shooters, so defenses can just pack it in on us. When Jimerson set up on the outside, French had significantly more space to work with. Gibson will be a key piece of the program going forward, but for now, we need to play the same way we've been playing for 4 seasons now, which often is getting more tiresome to watch. Teams could essentially just play hack-a-Bill against our two star players for 40 minutes and we'd likely lose. 

The thing that was frustrating was that we were really successfully breaking down the zone with Yuri/Perkins/Weaver around the outside. We had a ton of good looks from 3. When we started to try and force it inside, our offense fell apart. If teams are going to pack it in as much as Davidson was doing, we have to continue to shoot 3s....especially when Perkins and Weaver are on fire. 

I shudder to think of what it looks like when the 3s aren't falling. 

5 minutes ago, jweste216 said:

It'd pretty obvious that Weaver needs more playing time and about time that we start Perkins in my opinion.

Jacobs did his disappearing act again last night. Absolutely no impact on the game.

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

The thing that was frustrating was that we were really successfully breaking down the zone with Yuri/Perkins/Weaver around the outside. We had a ton of good looks from 3. When we started to try and force it inside, our offense fell apart. If teams are going to pack it in as much as Davidson was doing, we have to continue to shoot 3s....especially when Perkins and Weaver are on fire. 

I shudder to think of what it looks like when the 3s aren't falling. 

They gave us the three-point line and they were right to do so. Perkins and Weaver went a combined 10-19 on mostly open looks. No one else was/is a threat. If one or both of those guys was off, we'd have been absolutely buried.

We got 'schooled' by Bob McKillop.  Plain and simple.  Pack it in, negate French and Goodwin, eliminate offensive rebounds, make others beat him from distance.  If Jimmmerson is out there, is Weaver?  Weaver made five threes.  Does Jimmmerson make more?  Add Gudmundsson to Potter in the schooling of Yuri Collins.  I like the idea of French with the ball at the foul line, not down low.  But we shall see.  I think it is evident Ford has no confidence in Bell or Jacobs.

Given this game as evidence, and what's left and where, a Top Four finish is likely impossible.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We've also never won in that gym. That's another point I forgot. I hate it, even if we've only played there three times.

For the record, we've also never won at VCU

The offense was much better in the second half when we stopped trying to force a French post-up on every possession. I love Hasahn and think he is a great player. But he's shooting under 50% from the floor and we all know about the free throw woes. We have 2.5 years to suggest he's not an offensive centerpiece. 

I also am a huge fan of Jordan Goodwin, but if defenses are going to sag that far off of him he needs to be willing to shoot from outside. Even if he shoots 30% from 3 that is a big upgrade to our spacing.

I am a big fan of Travis Ford and am very happy he is our headcoach. But our offensive gameplans recently have been head-scratching, 

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We got 'schooled' by Bob McKillop.  Plain and simple.  Pack it in, negate French and Goodwin, eliminate offensive rebounds, make others beat him from distance.  If Jimmmerson is out there, is Weaver?  Weaver made five threes.  Does Jimmmerson make more?  Add Gudmundsson to Potter in the schooling of Yuri Collins.  I like the idea of French with the ball at the foul line, not down low.  But we shall see.  I think it is evident Ford has no confidence in Bell or Jacobs.

Given this game as evidence, and what's left and where, a Top Four finish is likely impossible.

Bell threw it away twice trying to throw out of the post. That put him on the bench for the night. 

12 minutes ago, jweste216 said:

I don't understand why they had Yuri guarding JAG.  

that was a matchup nightmare all night.

Ya im all for Yuri guarding speedy guards, but not big lengthy ones. 

We're 14-5 with our two best players not being a serious threat outside of 5 feet and our best shooter out for the season.  No coach on this league could do a better job given that scenario.  Bob "Greatest Coach in the League" McKillop is 9-9 with everyone back, including two first-team All-Conference players.

Billiken Rich likes this